Bad back

Started by JimStynes, October 31, 2012, 07:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

I've been lying in bed wide awake for the past few hours feeling sorry for myself due to sciatic type pain down my leg! Started getting pain about 6 months and it has gotten progressively worse. I am a very active and sporty person (Gaelic football, golf, Crossfit, cycle and swim) but the past few months I have been unable to do any kind of sport at all. Even swimming is hurting me ffs. Driving and sitting down give the most discomfort. I have been going to a physio with a good reputation for fixing backs but he has been unable to do anything for mine. Got an mri scan and there is a disc protrusion in my lower back. I've had two injections (the second one was just yesterday) and they have done f**k all as well. I fear the next step is an operation which I want to avoid as I am a sub teacher at the minute, so if I don't work I don't get paid.

Ive had all the usual sore back pain, hamstring injuries, etc that come with playing sport but this is the most depressing and debilitating injury I've ever had.

Anybody had similar problems? What did you do to fix it? 

bennydorano

I went to a Chinese doc for physio on a recommendation (i'd 6 wks off work with it), done more in a couple of sessions than 2/3 mainstream physios did, couldnt recommend it enough, it will hurt like s bastid thou & i cant vouch for any other than the one i attended.

JimStynes

pm the name and price if you could benny

supersarsfields

Hi Jim,

Were are you based? There's a good guy in Carrickmore that might be worth a look at!!

tbrick18

I had problems with my back about 6 years ago, siezed disc is what I had.
I went to a Physio in Dungannon who at that time was the only one in Ireland who practice the "Sarah Key Method".
Basically you lie on the floor, and the pysio stands on your back and uses her heel on you. You then use a "Back Block" to do a specific set of exercises.
I must admit I was sceptical at the start but after about 8 sessions it started to move, and a couple more sessions it was freed up. I've never had problems since. And if my back ever feels stiff I do the exercises for a week or two and its grand again (I should probably do the exercises anyway).
I'm sure there are other Physios using this technique now so you could try to find one near you who does, or if you want I'll PM you the contact details of this one. Plus do a bit of a google on the Sarah Key Method, plenty of info about it online.

ballinaman

JimStynes

Based just outside Lurgan, Co Armagh. The physio i am going to is a highly respected and comes highly recommended. He deals a lot with all the county players. He thinks the next stage is going to see the surgeon, which isnt keen on as I am only 28. The operation would be key hole job so I hopefully wouldnt be out of work for too long. I just want that as a last option. Would be willing to try a chiropractor or something.  Extremely frustrating and painful injury. Wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Orior

After years of suffering and visits to useless physios, I finally diagnosed my back pain to a slightly curved spine (scoliosis) which meant that my pelvis was slightly tilted, which meant that i was favouring one leg more than the other, which meant increased muscle strain, which eventually caused back pain.

If I lie to long in bed I am in agony. So I need to keep up the golf, cycling and short gentle jogging.

I wouldn't turn down a little oriental massage though!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Onion Bag

Quote from: Orior on October 31, 2012, 10:14:17 AM
After years of suffering and visits to useless physios, I finally diagnosed my back pain to a slightly curved spine (scoliosis) which meant that my pelvis was slightly tilted, which meant that i was favouring one leg more than the other, which meant increased muscle strain, which eventually caused back pain.

If I lie to long in bed I am in agony. So I need to keep up the golf, cycling and short gentle jogging.

I wouldn't turn down a little oriental massage though!

With a happy ending of course!  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Dinny Breen

I had two disc protrusion in my lower back - was told surgery was the only option. Didn't want to go down that road, did some extensive physio and did my back exercises religiously ever day. Really worked on building up my core and in the last year invested in a resistance band and a foam roller to work on my hips, gluts iband etc. Have had no issues since and I had the MRI six years ago..
#newbridgeornowhere

North Longford

As a Physical Therapist I treat loads of people with low back problems, many of them with disc protrusions and what I can say with certainty is that  everyone is different.  I've had patients who left feeling top of the world after a couple of sessions and others who have taken months to get decent improvement. I've not heard of the Sarah Key method but just looked up some of her videos (reckon she's a good sales woman...a rolled towel would do what her block does and using extension exercises to aid in treatment is known the world over!!) She also contradicts herself a little but won't get into details. A lot depends on the specifics of the case and the individual. I have seen MRIs and you'd wonder how the person could function at all and yet would still be playing sport, while others would have what appeared very minor on an MRI but would hardly be able to move. What's best I'm not certain as I will use a variety of modalities that compliment each other....I tend to go with laser, integrative systemic dry needling, soft tissue work, cryotherapy and spinal mobs along with exercise prescription which is based around stretching of tight structures, exercising into extension, core strengthening and low back strengthening. What's worth noting.... if you go to someone and they tell you you have 5 slipped discs without having done an MRI and then tell you they put them back in you should be very dubious. You just can't put discs back in. They are not like sheep that got out of a field!!! Here's a little video of what a herniated disc  http://www.spine-health.com/video/lumbar-herniated-disc-video[/b]]http://www.spine-health.com/video/lumbar-herniated-disc-video. As Dinny so rightly pointed out, probably the most critical part is adherence to the prescribed exercises... unfortunately you have to do a lot of the work yourself!!!!!

anglocelt39

http://www.losethebackpain.com/

there's a web link that might be of some use to you Jim. For the cost of a GP visit a few years ago they sent me on this "self diagnosis system". Effectively they identify about four core causes of chronic back pain such as muscle imbalance due to modern living (e.g. hunched over a computer all day with some muscles being used at the expense of others). Once you have diagnosed the cause of your complaint you are given a series of strengthening and flexibility exercises which are designed to counter the source of your pain. I stick to my routine reasonably rigidly and it has helped. About 20 minutes per session which you can do in the living room. If you can supplement with a bit of Pilates, better still. Good luck.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BennyCake

Since the summer, I've been having pain in my lower back, coccyx, in both buttocks, thighs, hamstrings, calves, and also at the front of the lower legs.

Been having physio sessions on average twice a month, and he told me it seems to be muscular rather than anything serious. I've been to my doctor also, and upon examination, told me there doesn't seem to be anything seriously wrong in the lower back area.

I do alot of driving with my job, so I guess over time, it has come to a head. Driving does aggravate things, but when I'm out of the car and out and about, things aren't as bad.

Over the last couple of months, at the advice of my physio, I've been walking alot, with a swim and a bike ride usually in the week too. I would also do exercises everyday for lower back/legs etc. Things have eased a little over the last 3/4 weeks since I upped my exercise schedule, but the symptoms are still there somewhat.

Its frustrating, as I'm thinking maybe I should change career, if things don't settle. I'm worried if I continue doing what I'm doing, I may do irreversible damage.

If anyone has had any similar problems, or has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

imtommygunn

Benny in terms of what you get it's not dissimilar to what i have had in the past. Sitting causes inactive glutes which essentially weaken over time. Weak glutes mean more emphasis on lower back and hamstrings which will tighten.

Keeping the glutes active - dynamic stretching which shouldn't even take too long - and strenghtening them will help. Pilates is a great job for that. It's a time thing though- won't change overnight.

Modern day life isn't great for the back and a lot suffer from issues.

BennyCake

Thanks for that, Tommy.

My physio had said something similar. That the muscles in the legs/lower back have weakened, and it's about building up the strength in those areas again, which is why he recommended the walking, swimming, bike exercises (as well as exercises my physio recommended which is quite similar to alot of yoga/pilates exercises).

From your own experience, do you think there's anything I could add to my exercise schedule to improve things, or am I doing enough to help things?