Dentists in Belfast

Started by DirtyDozen12, January 05, 2011, 12:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2011, 08:00:18 PM
I have just paid 30 (prepaid as I haven't been yet) for the dental hygienist. The 70 people are quoting seems a bit much.

NHS dentist.

Where TommyGunn?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

wavesofTORRES

Ive been paying £12/13 pm for last 4 years into Denplan insurance. The best money  spent in a long time. I go twice a year for a good check up and clean and have not needed any fillings in that time. Thers no doubt it appears expensive but I think it has possibly saved me in the long run my dentist always gives sound advice and it gives you an incentive to look after your teeth, get an electric toothbrush will clean your teeth better than any manual one.

imtommygunn

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on January 05, 2011, 10:43:48 PM
I have just paid 30 (prepaid as I haven't been yet) for the dental hygienist. The 70 people are quoting seems a bit much.

NHS dentist.

Where TommyGunn?
Well I say Belfast DD but it's greater Belfast...

It's out in Carryduff. Only ~20 minutes out of Belfast so it's not too far away. Boy at work recommended it.

tyssam5

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2011, 07:10:09 PM
That 70 quid for a check up seems an awful lot! - that can't be the NHS price.

I've been thinking about dental insurance, how much do you pay for it rois?
Is there any special terms or conditions etc

I didnt mind the dentist too much until the last time I went. I'd to get a filling and the injection to numb the gum had no effect, she give me several before it went numb and on one occasion she went to drill when it wasn't numb and I felt it!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaah!
I'm on a waiting list for a root canal too - must be waiting about two years now - I refuse to pay the £200 quid to have it done privately.  I'll only do that if I'm in pain.

Lost tooth a while back. Would definitely pay 200 to have it back!

Rois

My insurance covers check ups, hygenist, fillings, root canal etc (to a maximum so if you go to a dearer place, you'll have to pay the excess).  You pay it yourself first and then claim it back - I've never had a prob claiming it back.  There's a schedule of the maximum in the policy docs so you can check up the price.

And it def doesn't include the cosmetic stuff, although the main reason for it was the root canal treatment I had years ago - tooth was gradually growing darker (I noticed it more than other people and that was after 10 years).

LeoMc

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2011, 11:30:15 PM

NHS dentist.

Where TommyGunn?

It's out in Carryduff. Only ~20 minutes out of Belfast so it's not too far away. Boy at work recommended it.

If you are looking at Greater Belfast you could do worse than consider Gallagher & O'Docherty on the Longstone road in Lisburn. My last check-up was £16. Time before that, with 2 x-rays it was £28.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 05, 2011, 11:30:15 PM

NHS dentist.

Where TommyGunn?

Im on Ormeau Rd at the minute so that might work ok.  Like the sound of that dental insurance though.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

TirEoghaingodeo

There's a boy in Banbridge will take you on on the NHS. Can't mind his name, arms like tree trunks, his eyes were like steel: cold, hard. He's a shock of hair, red, like the fires of Hell.
Will see if i can find the practice if anyone's interested.
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Santino

Quote from: TirEoghaingodeo on January 06, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
There's a boy in Banbridge will take you on on the NHS. Can't mind his name, arms like tree trunks, his eyes were like steel: cold, hard. He's a shock of hair, red, like the fires of Hell.
Will see if i can find the practice if anyone's interested.

He was trained by Colin Howell i believe. Bring a chaperone....

StGallsGAA

QuoteOne thing that annoys me about dentist's when im on the subject is that they always make you out to be a complete idiot when it comes to brushing your teeth no matter what your age is 

Then just walk in waving your finger in his face saying "I don't brush or floss so you can forget the patronising bullsh*t before we start".  That'll let him know who's boss.

Alternatively you could brush & floss before visiting him...

GaryColemansLeftPeg

A fellow GAAboarder directed me to the thread so a hat tip to him.

I'm working in the Banama Republic these days but I was just quoted a horrendous price for a load of work getting down.  Having a look online,plenty appear to head North if getting a load of work down.

Does anyone know dentists in Belfast(or indeed anywhere between the border and Derry) which are open late on a Friday/open a Saturday as that would allow me to get the work down weekends I am up home.

I am registered to an NHS dentist in Derry but I am increasingly dubious about the quality of some of his work so I don't mind switch.  Plus, given the costs involved I won't mind getting a few quotes.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Deirdre Convery practice on the Antrim Road, across from the start of the Waterworks, they will still take NHS and are very good.
Tbc....

WeeDonns

DirtyDozen12, did you get sorted with a dentist?

The Iceman

queens students have an open practice for final year students
if its only cleaning you are getting done and analysis it may even be free - look into it
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

First toothache in almost 25 years, throbbing like a MF.. next available date at mine (due to covid ffs) is 2 weeks away!! I'm jugging the painkillers in at an unsafe rate  ;D

Are there emergency dentist's appointments you can get? I phoned one up today that said they do emergency appointments, only if you're their client ffs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea