Where to see the games in Boston

Started by Zulu, July 19, 2012, 11:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Lads, would any of you be able to recommend a pub in Boston that would show the Ulster and Leinster finals this Sunday? It's not for me but I want to be able to point a man, his wife and young son in the right direction. Their young lad has taken up football recently here in Britain and they are currently over in Boston so I'd like to recommend a pub that is nice, does decent food and ideally doesn't charge in to see the games. Watching these games in Boston would underline the global nature of the game in their eyes I feel and could help convince this young man that football is a sport worth persevering with in Britain.

Thanks in advance.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2012, 11:47:00 AM
Lads, would any of you be able to recommend a pub in Boston that would show the Ulster and Leinster finals this Sunday? It's not for me but I want to be able to point a man, his wife and young son in the right direction. Their young lad has taken up football recently here in Britain and they are currently over in Boston so I'd like to recommend a pub that is nice, does decent food and ideally doesn't charge in to see the games. Watching these games in Boston would underline the global nature of the game in their eyes I feel and could help convince this young man that football is a sport worth persevering with in Britain.

Thanks in advance.

Head out to Broadway in South Boston or Dorchester Ave - both fairly close to one another.

The Banshee on Dor Ave is a very popular spot, they can get the T to the bottom of West Brodway and there is no end of Irish pubs for as far as you can walk - the Blackthorn about five minutes up on the right will probably show it.

All pubs will have a fella from Setanta collecting $20, unless something has drastically changed.

Zulu

Thanks heffo, what time are the games on in Boston, are they 7 hours behind us? I lived and played ball in Boston many years ago but I can't remember the finer details at this stage!!!

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2012, 12:11:04 PM
Thanks heffo, what time are the games on in Boston, are they 7 hours behind us? I lived and played ball in Boston many years ago but I can't remember the finer details at this stage!!!

Boston is five hours behind!

Harold Disgracey

The Green Briar in Brighton would be another option.

whitey

All depends where they are staying.  If they are downtown or west, I would head for the Green Briar-best pub by far to watch a game.

If they are South of the city-the Irish Cultural Center in Canton is a great spot too-(but a little out of the way if you dont have anyone to bring you.) They could stay on and watch some of the the Boston Championship while they are there.

Personally, I would avoid pubs in Southie and Dorchester to watch a game. Much rougher crowd who dont have an ounce of manners between the lot of them  (having lived in Dorchester for 5 years and watched many, many games there I am speaking from first hand experience) 

boojangles

The Banshee or Blackthorn may not be the best spots to bring a kid alright. Although the Banshee used to show the games upstairs away from the crowd so it might be a bit quieter up there. But I suppose at 10am local time there shouldn't be that many yahoos about! ;D However they both would charge in. Actually all places will charge you to watch the games.
Maybe head over to Brighton. Might be a bit more civilised over there.

Leonardo

DO NOT go to the Blackthorn with a child. Great craic if you are there for a drinking session but thats it. Would say the Green Briar is best bet

whitey

It did not receive the nickname "The Blackeye" for no reason-LOL

Zulu

Thanks for all the help, once ye started mentioning the streets and bars I started to recall some of them from my time there but I wouldn't be able to tell an man how to get to any of them still. I'll recommend the Green Briar and I'll find out where he is staying to see what his options are. Thanks again boys.

whitey

If Green Briar isnt convenient, find out where they're staying and post back up.

Beantown

Try McGanns Pub on Portland street , it's beside the Garden.
Get the T , green line or orange line to North Station.

They used to always show live GAA..

Hopefully they still do... Great breakfast also!

heffo

Quote from: whitey on July 19, 2012, 05:09:59 PM
It did not receive the nickname "The Blackeye" for no reason-LOL

Now that you mention it the first time I was in that place a fella picked a fight with me within about ten minutes of me walking in!

heffo

Quote from: Beantown on July 19, 2012, 05:44:08 PM
Try McGanns Pub on Portland street , it's beside the Garden.
Get the T , green line or orange line to North Station.

Did that used to be called the Irish Embassy about fifteen years ago??

Beantown

Irish Embassy was the next street over.
Same people owned both bars.

The Embassy is no longer there.