Mobile network's with all Ireland tariff?

Started by balladmaker, December 30, 2023, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Based in the north, I'm currently on the Vodafone mobile network.  As I tend to make a lot of calls to southern numbers, I also pay them for Vodafone Ireland Plus ... this means I can use my northern bundle to call/text numbers in the south without incurring international rates.  From memory, it's approx £5 a month additional.

Are Vodafone the only provider in the north who has such a service, or is anyone aware of other providers offering similar all Ireland type tariffs?  Thanks.

JohnDenver

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/guides/roaming-charges-explained/

Nevertheless, there are still networks that offer inclusive EU roaming. Many budget networks – giffgaff, Tesco Mobile, Asda Mobile, iD Mobile, SMARTY, Lycamobile and Lebara – still include EU roaming for no extra charge in their plans. But there's usually a fair usage policy in place, which limits the amount of data you can use while you're away.

armaghniac

Quote from: JohnDenver on December 30, 2023, 10:26:09 PMhttps://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/guides/roaming-charges-explained/

Nevertheless, there are still networks that offer inclusive EU roaming. Many budget networks – giffgaff, Tesco Mobile, Asda Mobile, iD Mobile, SMARTY, Lycamobile and Lebara – still include EU roaming for no extra charge in their plans. But there's usually a fair usage policy in place, which limits the amount of data you can use while you're away.

EU Roaming on the UK SIM is no help if you call a Freestate number from the North, although it might be useful if you are in the 26 counties.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2023, 12:06:01 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on December 30, 2023, 10:26:09 PMhttps://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/guides/roaming-charges-explained/

EU Roaming on the UK SIM is no help if you call a Freestate number from the North, although it might be useful if you are in the 26 counties.

Correct armaghniac ... my question is ref. calling a southern mobile from the north and not incurring an international rate, nothing to do with roaming charges.

armaghniac

One strategy, if you have unlimited data, is to use something like Skype to call over data. It will report your mobile number as the calling number and they sell bundles of minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2023, 01:38:49 AMOne strategy, if you have unlimited data, is to use something like Skype to call over data. It will report your mobile number as the calling number and they sell bundles of minutes.

Had forgotten about that Skype offering, thanks.  At the min, I think I'll be sticking with the extra fiver a month for Vodafone Ireland Plus.