The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on March 15, 2023, 03:54:04 PM
Inflation is out of control? Currently falling and forecast to be 2.9% by year-end (in UK). Inflation today in Argentina is over 100%, now that is out of control.
It won't be 2.9%.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2023/03/16/inflation-in-irish-economy-unexpectedly-rises-to-85-in-february/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Feckitt

They're not going back to serve under a Fenian First Minister. Northern Ireland is finished, but the only way out is democratically and quickly.
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Make sure your friends,  family,  neighbours and work colleagues are registered to vote. Has your daughter moved to Uni, your cousin moved house  Maybe your Polish work colleague never bothered to vote?  Make sure they are all registered!
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Wildweasel74

Getting Polish to vote should be a big push, quite a no here now, any where I live don't bother to vote.

Feckitt

When the Unity referendum comes the sizeable population originally from Central and Eastern Europe will have the opportunity to get back in the EU and therefore have closer links to their home country.

armaghniac

Quote from: Feckitt on March 19, 2023, 04:45:05 PM
When the Unity referendum comes the sizeable population originally from Central and Eastern Europe will have the opportunity to get back in the EU and therefore have closer links to their home country.

If they are allowed vote.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

It's decision time now for Donaldson and the DUP. I can't see the leadership of the party publicly supporting the WF which could then leave them in an even more perilous position. At every juncture they have managed to make things even worse for themselves as they are petrified of being lundified. I think Peter Robinson is one of the few in the party who has a strategic brain and will recognise the opportunity that the WF offers to unionists. But he is only one of 8 people and the threat of the TUV/LCC/OO axis looms large over any decision to be made.

Orior

Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 10:08:19 PM
It's decision time now for Donaldson and the DUP. I can't see the leadership of the party publicly supporting the WF which could then leave them in an even more perilous position. At every juncture they have managed to make things even worse for themselves as they are petrified of being lundified. I think Peter Robinson is one of the few in the party who has a strategic brain and will recognise the opportunity that the WF offers to unionists. But he is only one of 8 people and the threat of the TUV/LCC/OO axis looms large over any decision to be made.

Decision time would suggest that Donaldson has options.
If he has 3 options then he has 3.
If he has 2 options then he has 2.
If he has 1 option then he has no option.

He will reject the WF, and say that he is passing the problem back to Rishi. He will then tell his electorate that Rishi has messed up and Rishi has to find a solution.

Looking like no Stormont for 2 or 3 years.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Mourne Red

Quote from: Orior on March 19, 2023, 10:31:21 PM

He will reject the WF, and say that he is passing the problem back to Rishi. He will then tell his electorate that Rishi has messed up and Rishi has to find a solution.

Conservative Party is the most successful party in World Politics for a reason.. They will string this out and then next year when they're out of gov it will be a Labour problem. This is when Labour will probably f**k up and do something that'll threaten the union and there the conservatives slogan will be run on in the 2028 election to save the Union and our Country vote Tory. They've already started with going after refugees, they know they lost 2024 so it's all about getting back asap

yellowcard

He could well reject it but he has set up a committee to avoid him personally taking the blame for whatever the outcome. How can he square the circle of pulling MLAs out of Stormont (which affects the lives of the people living here) in protest at the protocol yet still have MPs parading around Westminster which is where any objections should be aimed. It's all a smokescreen.

Also Sunak doesn't have to find any solution, it will comfortably get through a vote this week so what do the DUP do then. The likelihood is that they will be facing direct rule with decision making being taken out of their hands with a soon to be Labour government in the UK and a probable SF government in the south. Strategically it is in unionisms best interests to get Stormont back up running again.

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 11:13:49 PM

He could well reject it but he has set up a committee to avoid him personally taking the blame for whatever the outcome. How can he square the circle of pulling MLAs out of Stormont (which affects the lives of the people living here) in protest at the protocol yet still have MPs parading around Westminster which is where any objections should be aimed. It's all a smokescreen.

Also Sunak doesn't have to find any solution, it will comfortably get through a vote this week so what do the DUP do then. The likelihood is that they will be facing direct rule with decision making being taken out of their hands with a soon to be Labour government in the UK and a probable SF government in the south. Strategically it is in unionisms best interests to get Stormont back up running again.

Always looking over their shoulder at wee Jimbob so they'll probably not commit on the framework. Drag it out a bit until the election.

The TUV could pick up a good few council seats at the expense of the DUP.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 19, 2023, 11:12:01 PM

Conservative Party is the most successful party in World Politics for a reason.. They will string this out and then next year when they're out of gov it will be a Labour problem. This is when Labour will probably f**k up and do something that'll threaten the union and there the conservatives slogan will be run on in the 2028 election to save the Union and our Country vote Tory. They've already started with going after refugees, they know they lost 2024 so it's all about getting back asap

Yup sounds about right

But surely  the Brits  will say to themselves , never vote those Tory b*******s again!!!  I mean , not everyone  was around during  the thatcher years and the  shit that she did.. but by Christ they should remember these Tory  years!

AustinPowers

That's it in  a nutshell. The hot potato that is the  unionist leadership . Say no  to everything.  Replace, and repeat

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 19, 2023, 11:50:00 PM

That's it in  a nutshell. The hot potato that is the  unionist leadership . Say no  to everything.  Replace, and repeat
The DUP isn't unionism
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2023, 08:16:43 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 19, 2023, 11:50:00 PM

The DUP isn't unionism

Unionism always lurches to the right.  There's always a bogey man going to make a lundy of anyone who deviates from the norm.

Look at it 25 years ago, same thing.  Now it's wee Jim screaming from the sidelines.

It's the way unionism works.

Eire90

i actually think the tories will be back in again around 2029  and they might still pull of the upset and win next election labour will be attack by the right wing media every day and the dm and express readers will probably vote tory again.