Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

I'm getting a part of my large bowel removed because of Crohns Disease and was wondering how anyone else has managed to cope with having a colostomy/ileostomy bags?

Last Man

Have you looked for any 2nd opinions or looked into alternatives. I certainly don't want to play down what you've had to go through but this is a drastic move and surely a last resort. Check out Ken D Berry MD on YouTube as a starting point. I listen to a lot of health podcasts and videos and I remember more than a few people who have resolved their Chron's and ulcerative colitis using strict elimination diet. Can't remember exact episodes but it might be an option. Best of luck anyway.

Ball Hopper

Wildweasel74

Brother had to get half his intestine removed, cancer scare. Recommended he be put on a bag, there was a small  % chance he wouldn't need it. So he took that option but left small possibility of cancer returning. Your situation different in that it's related to Crohns disease. Doctor will go through all the options and risks. A friend been wearing one since his mid 20's, he mid 40's now, hadn't really a issue, but hard to get used to at the start.

Nanderson

Quote from: Last Man on December 05, 2022, 10:56:13 PM
Have you looked for any 2nd opinions or looked into alternatives. I certainly don't want to play down what you've had to go through but this is a drastic move and surely a last resort. Check out Ken D Berry MD on YouTube as a starting point. I listen to a lot of health podcasts and videos and I remember more than a few people who have resolved their Chron's and ulcerative colitis using strict elimination diet. Can't remember exact episodes but it might be an option. Best of luck anyway.
Unfortunately the crohns scarring has led to me having quite a significant narrowing near the end of my large bowel and consultant said it hasn't responded to several different medications so surgery would be only way to stop it from eventually closing over and having to get emergency surgery when that happens

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2022, 12:03:27 AM
Brother had to get half his intestine removed, cancer scare. Recommended he be put on a bag, there was a small  % chance he wouldn't need it. So he took that option but left small possibility of cancer returning. Your situation different in that it's related to Crohns disease. Doctor will go through all the options and risks. A friend been wearing one since his mid 20's, he mid 40's now, hadn't really a issue, but hard to get used to at the start.

Aye mother in law is finding it difficult though she is mid 70's and it's only been in a few months, she hasn't changed it so the pressure is always on father in law to get it done, but as Wildweasel said it should become a lot easier once you get a handle on it..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ball Hopper

Hi all,

Annual CT showed nothing of any concern and blood tests all good as well. 

Weight doing well (88kg, which is about as fit as I've been in years).  Diet is good - low volume in comparison to past years, but all reasonably healthy stuff.  Still unable to digest raw vegetables and haven't considered having a steak dinner.  No desire to resume alcohol either.  Have the occasional poor night re bathroom frequency, but that is usually linked to a new food.  It takes a while to develop the ability to digest some new foods (leafy greens is current problem), but start with a very small portion, take a week off before next larger portion and inside a month I'm able to handle a standard (what I call small) portion comfortably enough.  I'll never munch on raw veg again, so healthy snacks are more or less out of my diet.  Places with veg not overly-cooked (think Chinese stir fry) are also out.  There is plenty left that I have no problems with - fish, chicken, pork, ground beef/turkey, potatoes, rice, pasta and so on.  Ice cream also goes down well.

Oncologist decided that next colonoscopy will be Summer 2025 (5 years after surgery) - a clear result at that time will see me completely discharged.  Another CT next summer with blood tests every six months is also planned in case anything pops up in the meantime.  Keeping fairly fit as well...walking a good bit up to 5 times a week helps a lot.

As always, I'm very grateful for all the support I've received from the gaaboard crew.  This place was a great place for me to visit for inspiration. 

Hope everyone is doing well - I don't post as much anymore (how many times do I have to explain how the Kerry Championship works?), but I do check in an odd time to see what the mood is among the GAA fraternity.  Better team won the All-Ireland final this year - them bookies are rarely too far off the mark.

Everyone take care and plan a colonoscopy if due one by age or family history - early detection is so important to a good outcome.

BH

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Good man Ballhopper. Glad to hear you are well on the mend. I'd reiterate your message about not avoiding any appointments or scans or ignoring symptoms and assuming bad things happen to other people. I have a follow-up colonscopy in the calendar for 2025 and I'll not be missing it!

whitey

Good man Ballhopper.

Had my first Colonoscopy a year ago and since then 2 people I know in their 50s have been diagnosed.

If there is someone in your life who's stubborn and won't go for the procedure, just go ahead and order them one of the "at home test kits". I know someone who caught cancer early using one of these at home tests

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/colon-cancer-home-test

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dougal Maguire

Best of luck BH. Some good advice on this thread. Regular visits to GP are essential. So many men almost see it as a badge of honour that they haven't Ben to the doctor in 10 years
Careful now