Diesel, petrol, oil price watch

Started by Dire Ear, March 08, 2022, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: armaghniac on August 04, 2023, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 04, 2023, 02:24:18 PM
Interesting how many of these big firms' profits have increased by factors of stupid yet they'd have you believe on a day-to-day basis that their margins are being squeezed which is why prices have had to go up. Everyone is at it from oil companies, energy companies, insurance companies, supermarkets etc. It is us mugs at the bottom who are being taken for every penny but sure look over there, there is a boat load of people that look different than us arriving into the country. It is an absolute scandal where the super-rich are getting richer by the minute and everyone else is poorer.

Your statement is indiscriminate. Some companies are making large profits, if you own an oil well or gas field and the price of these things go up then of course you make a big profit. That in itself does not mean that your local petrol station makes more money.

You'll note I said the super rich are getting richer - the ones at the top of the food chain. I never mentioned local petrol stations. There is an element of profiteering at a local level but the real racket is at the top.

LC

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 04, 2023, 10:26:45 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 04, 2023, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on August 04, 2023, 02:24:18 PM
Interesting how many of these big firms' profits have increased by factors of stupid yet they'd have you believe on a day-to-day basis that their margins are being squeezed which is why prices have had to go up. Everyone is at it from oil companies, energy companies, insurance companies, supermarkets etc. It is us mugs at the bottom who are being taken for every penny but sure look over there, there is a boat load of people that look different than us arriving into the country. It is an absolute scandal where the super-rich are getting richer by the minute and everyone else is poorer.

Your statement is indiscriminate. Some companies are making large profits, if you own an oil well or gas field and the price of these things go up then of course you make a big profit. That in itself does not mean that your local petrol station makes more money.

You'll note I said the super rich are getting richer - the ones at the top of the food chain. I never mentioned local petrol stations. There is an element of profiteering at a local level but the real racket is at the top.

Agree 100% re above, there is a petrol station around our way and fair to say prices go up like a rocket and come down like a feather.

thewobbler

Yesterday.

Diesel in the 2 x Go stations and Tesco along the A1 at Banbridge: £1.30.9

Diesel in the K Circles on Warrenpoint Road and Belfast Road in Newry: £1.51.9

Not sure I've ever seen a disparity this big in the 6 counties.

Somebody somewhere ( and it looks like K Circle is involved) is trying to hump the consumer.

clonian

Quote from: thewobbler on August 08, 2023, 07:34:05 AM
Yesterday.

Somebody somewhere ( and it looks like K Circle is involved) is trying to hump the consumer.

That one is always one of the most expensive in the area too

Silver hill

Oil is a commodity. The price per barrel to take it out of the ground is relatively stable. There can certainly be a bit of gauging at a local level but it's the fat cats trading on the stock exchanges that is the primary driver of what's paid at the pump.

tbrick18

Yesterday.

Go in Dungannon yesterday, 144.9p
Sainsbury's in Dungannon, 137.9p

Go has jumped from 131.9p to 144.9p in about a week, roughly 5p every few days.
For me that is scandalous.
This sort of profiteering will bump up inflation again and could well impact future interest rate rises which mean we all have to pay even more.

Is this the same across other EU countries?

clonian

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 09, 2023, 04:45:50 PM
Yesterday.

This sort of profiteering will bump up inflation again and could well impact future interest rate rises which mean we all have to pay even more.

Go on the A1 at Banbridge are both still 130.9 today - topped up today before it shoots up

BrotherMore6592

Pretty sure they're called Circle K

clonian

Quote from: clonian on August 09, 2023, 04:48:39 PM
Yesterday.

Go on the A1 at Banbridge are both still 130.9 today - topped up today before it shoots up

Go added 9p on yesterday. Tesco is still at 130.9 at the outlet but you'd be better paying the extra, their diesel is shite.

LC

151.9p per litre for diesel I noticed this morning.

That is easily up 13p / 10% in the past month but there does not seem to be a peep of it in the news.

Itchy

Yesterday.

Spain seems to be 20c a litre less than Ireland. How is this if we  have euro wide rules that cannot be broken according to our governement.

square_ball

Quote from: clonian on August 11, 2023, 03:40:10 PM
Quote from: clonian on August 09, 2023, 04:48:39 PM
Yesterday.

Go added 9p on yesterday. Tesco is still at 130.9 at the outlet but you'd be better paying the extra, their diesel is shite.

Genuine question - why?

general_lee

Surely all the diesel in the north comes from the same terminals. One in Derry and rest in Belfast. If tesco diesel is bad then it's all bad!

maddog

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2023, 12:54:25 PM
Surely all the diesel in the north comes from the same terminals. One in Derry and rest in Belfast. If tesco diesel is bad then it's all bad!

Could be horseshite but mechanic told me that while the diesel might be all the same the like of ESSO put a drop of some sort of additive into the tanker for performance and lubrication or something like that. The supermarkets dont hence price difference. He also said run the car 3 tanks on supermarket diesel but every 4th one get it from ESSO/Shell etc. Had to do with an engine management light that we had coming on and this is what he put it down to.

Nanderson

Diesel now at 1.51 in South Down Spar fuel stations. This feels like the month after the invasion where every time you drive past another 1 or 2 pence goes onto the price of fuel.