Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Derry Optimist

I must say that it is great to see so many young people and not so young now attending Derry games. Last Sunday's performance was another thoroughly  enjoyable experience, despite the team not being more clinical  in putting away goal opportunities.However, their general team play and ability to support the man on the ball was first class.

All of the team were good and as usual Conor Doherty, Padraig McGrogan, Conor Glass and Shane McGuigan stood out. I was particularly pleased that the phenomenal work rate of Niall Loughlin is at last being recognised. His ability to track back, tackle, dispossess opponents and assist selflessly his fellow forwards when they attack was really impressive.Likewise, Niall Toner who played equally well when he came on. The brightest light of all was Cormac Murphy who has the natural ability to win his own ball, break the tackle and then head directly goal wards, showing electrifying pace. His ability to score readily from such situations has really added anew and exciting dimension to his team. One must wonder why he was not selected during the last few years as he was on the minor county panel of 2017 but lost out playing minor in 2018 as the age limit was lowered that year.

If  all or some of the Glen players are absent for the Monaghan game and if Odhran Lynch, Gareth McKinless and Eoin McEvoy are not recovered, that would mean that Derry would be short  a possible six  of their regulars.It would be interesting to see which substitutes would take their places.

Silver hill

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 07, 2024, 06:59:51 PMI must say that it is great to see so many young people and not so young now attending Derry games. Last Sunday's performance was another thoroughly  enjoyable experience, despite the team not being more clinical  in putting away goal opportunities.However, their general team play and ability to support the man on the ball was first class.

All of the team were good and as usual Conor Doherty, Padraig McGrogan, Conor Glass and Shane McGuigan stood out. I was particularly pleased that the phenomenal work rate of Niall Loughlin is at last being recognised. His ability to track back, tackle, dispossess opponents and assist selflessly his fellow forwards when they attack was really impressive.Likewise, Niall Toner who played equally well when he came on. The brightest light of all was Cormac Murphy who has the natural ability to win his own ball, break the tackle and then head directly goal wards, showing electrifying pace. His ability to score readily from such situations has really added anew and exciting dimension to his team. One must wonder why he was not selected during the last few years as he was on the minor county panel of 2017 but lost out playing minor in 2018 as the age limit was lowered that year.

If  all or some of the Glen players are absent for the Monaghan game and if Odhran Lynch, Gareth McKinless and Eoin McEvoy are not recovered, that would mean that Derry would be short  a possible six  of their regulars.It would be interesting to see which substitutes would take their places.

Personally I thought Shane Mcguigan has his poorest match for Derry in a long time. Went to ground far too easily. And don't understand why Loughlin (who was excellent) doesn't hit the 45s and frees from the left? He's a superb dead ball striker.
Murphy was a joy to watch with his direct running and non stop showing. I think he was on placement in Carlisle for a period which hindered him previously with Derry.

JoG2

Quote from: Silver hill on February 07, 2024, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 07, 2024, 06:59:51 PMI must say that it is great to see so many young people and not so young now attending Derry games. Last Sunday's performance was another thoroughly  enjoyable experience, despite the team not being more clinical  in putting away goal opportunities.However, their general team play and ability to support the man on the ball was first class.

Personally I thought Shane Mcguigan has his poorest match for Derry in a long time. Went to ground far too easily. And don't understand why Loughlin (who was excellent) doesn't hit the 45s and frees from the left? He's a superb dead ball striker.
Murphy was a joy to watch with his direct running and non stop showing. I think he was on placement in Carlisle for a period which hindered him previously with Derry.

Shane wasn't at his best, but the work rate is always there, as it is with all the players. Serious appetite throughout the squad.
We were saying the same re Loughlin and the 45s. Even McGrogan

theticklemister

Celtic Park was never the problem..........

It was the supporters who didn't want to travel to watch Derry in Celtic Park that was.

tbrick18

Yeah I'd agree with that - though McGuigan wasn't at his best, he still played well and will always soak up a number of defenders.
As others have said, I don't understand why Nial O or McGrogan are not on long range free/45 taking duties.
Nial isnt a heavy scorer but usually contributes a point or 2 and does some serious work, I believe this is the role he's given in the team and not that he doesnt have the scoring ability.
Murphy is an exciting prospect.
Does anyone know what the story is with Lachlan Murray and Oisin McWilliams?

I'd be worried about the injuries to Glass/McKinless/Lynch. Even if they are only niggles, I'd make sure they are rested and recovered for championship even if that means them not playing again in the league. Realistically, one more win and we're probably safe. Bradley could slot into MF, or McFaul even. Is Higgins still on the panel? Did ok in the McKenna cup from what I saw of him, so another MF option. If McEvoy is back, he could slot in for McKinless and we have scullion for goals.

Derry Optimist

If all the Glen players and the injured trio of Eoin McEvoy,Odhran Lynch and Gareth McKinless were unavailable for the Monaghan game, it would create an interesting selection dilemma for team management but a welcome opportunity for others to get welcome game time. In that unlikely scenario the following would probably be the selected team.
                        Ryan Scullion
Conor McCluskey         Chrissy McKaigue        Diarmuid Baker
Shea  Downey            Padraig McGrogan        Conor Doherty
                  Dan Higgins        Brendan Rogers
Niall Toner             Cormac Murphy           Paul Cassidy
Niall Loughlin          Shane McGuigan          Lachlan Murray.

Wildweasel74

Is Paul McNeil still on the panel, haven't seen his name on the panel for games.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 13, 2024, 11:46:17 PMIs Paul McNeil still on the panel, haven't seen his name on the panel for games.

Not sure - but am I right in thinking he was on the panel in some of the photos that were circulating on social media in the last few weeks for the game versus London in division 4 of the national league in Ballinascreen?

He has possibly been off the panel in years in between without ever really nailing down a spot. A fine player.

Derry Optimist

To the best of my knowledge Paul McNeill did not return to the current Derry panel for this year.

toby47

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 14, 2024, 08:49:35 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 13, 2024, 11:46:17 PMIs Paul McNeil still on the panel, haven't seen his name on the panel for games.

Not sure - but am I right in thinking he was on the panel in some of the photos that were circulating on social media in the last few weeks for the game versus London in division 4 of the national league in Ballinascreen?

He has possibly been off the panel in years in between without ever really nailing down a spot. A fine player.

I think he has been on the panel every year since, not sure about this year though.

toby47

Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 12, 2024, 09:14:28 PMIf all the Glen players and the injured trio of Eoin McEvoy,Odhran Lynch and Gareth McKinless were unavailable for the Monaghan game, it would create an interesting selection dilemma for team management but a welcome opportunity for others to get welcome game time. In that unlikely scenario the following would probably be the selected team.
                        Ryan Scullion

Are all Glen players missing this weekend? Don't think they are.

There has also been an injury in the forward line.

seanyb

Quote from: toby47 on February 14, 2024, 12:19:55 PM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on February 12, 2024, 09:14:28 PMIf all the Glen players and the injured trio of Eoin McEvoy,Odhran Lynch and Gareth McKinless were unavailable for the Monaghan game, it would create an interesting selection dilemma for team management but a welcome opportunity for others to get welcome game time. In that unlikely scenario the following would probably be the selected team.
                        Ryan Scullion

Are all Glen players missing this weekend? Don't think they are.

There has also been an injury in the forward line.

who?

Wildweasel74

Ah Glenullin, talk of suing the county board to enter the senior championship. They not strong enough to win a Ulster Intermediate championship but think they strong enough to compete with Top 12 teams.Time to object is bck when the rules were introduced.

ClubScene13

Glenullin should be playing senior championship. End of.

Wildweasel74

Not good enough to play it, they finished 5th in the intermediate league playing their glorified friendlies, without any senior County men missing.Knew the rules, same as everybody else start of the year. Just like a few clubs couldn't take the set up at senior a few yrs ago looking for a loophole.