Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

tbrick18

That is an experimental side, surprised to see Harte make so many changes but perhaps they were enforced.
No issue with seeing how these lads do though and with the slaughtneil lads on the bench he can always re-enforce if he needs to.
Have 3 Steelstown players ever started a senior county match before?
What's the story with Lachlan Murray? Not even on the match day panel.

Derry Optimist

To answer tbrick's query,I presume Lachlan Murray,Paul McNeill,Padraig Cassidy,Conor McCluskey and the Downey cousins will be getting game time in the Down game. Perhaps some of our injured players like Gareth McKinless and Oisin McWilliams may be available also for that match.

tbrick18

Quote from: Derry Optimist on January 03, 2024, 12:17:23 PMTo answer tbrick's query,I presume Lachlan Murray,Paul McNeill,Padraig Cassidy,Conor McCluskey and the Downey cousins will be getting game time in the Down game. Perhaps some of our injured players like Gareth McKinless and Oisin McWilliams may be available also for that match.

That would make sense.
I'd assumed McKinless would be out for some time as I hadn't heard any updates on his injury, but I'd forgotten entirely about McWilliams. A real prospect from what I'd seen of him so it would be great if he's fit again - would certainly bolster the forward line.

Thinking about it, how many forwards do we have coming through? McWilliams and Murray, who else looks like they might make it? Good to see players getting tried out in the forward line in particular as for me this is where we struggled.

I know it's early days, but will Emmet Bradley be back?

Norm-Peterson

3 North Derry players starting which is an unusual sight nowadays. Although still no players from the Keenaght, Tirkeeran or Coleraine baronies which is what 'North Derry' traditionally was.

quit yo jibbajabba

tbrick18

Quote from: Derry Optimist on January 03, 2024, 12:17:23 PMTo answer tbrick's query,I presume Lachlan Murray,Paul McNeill,Padraig Cassidy,Conor McCluskey and the Downey cousins will be getting game time in the Down game. Perhaps some of our injured players like Gareth McKinless and Oisin McWilliams may be available also for that match.

Strong looking side named for the Down game bit still some players not even named on the panel.
I read somewhere padraig cassidy has opted out for travelling but I'd have thought lachlan Murray would get a run. Mcwilliams still injured?

Wildweasel74

Any of the Downeys there? Presume Shea Downey still on the Panel.

JohnDenver

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 06, 2024, 03:59:13 AMAny of the Downeys there? Presume Shea Downey still on the Panel.

I think I saw Shea and Matthew there on Wednesday night not stripped out in some of the photos from the Cavan game.

Not sure about Enda.

Oran Downey on the Antrim panel.

Derry Optimist

Re Derry's current panel strength, the numbers are severely restricted because of a large injury list. The good news would appear that Conor McCluskey is nearing full fitness. Also it is hoped that Odhran Lynch and Oisin McWilliams will soon be able to participate in full training. However, Shea, Enda and Matthew Downey are all still, unfortunately, on the long - term injury list. That plus the fact that Padraig Cassidy has left the panel to go travelling makes it difficult for management to have 15 a side match training sessions which Mickey Harte has always favoured. Furthermore, Lachlan Murray, Niall O'Donnell and Paul McNeill have not featured in the McKenna Cup squads but I do not know if they are injured or not.The need for a much larger panel than last year certainly becomes a priority as there are no easy games in Division One of the league. Hopefully, some extra Glen players and others will be invited to join the panel.

jmcgdoire

Id imagine Derry go in as favorites for this final?
Cormac Murphy seems like a great find. A player who can score in a range of ways and always seems to be good for a goal for Magherafelt. Could he be the missing piece to this Derry forward line?

OakLeaf

I don't think so. We looked rusty yesterday and Donegal are flying. Murphy had a very good game. Hopefully he'll get an opportunity or two in the league.

tbrick18

Quote from: OakLeaf on January 14, 2024, 04:33:25 PMI don't think so. We looked rusty yesterday and Donegal are flying. Murphy had a very good game. Hopefully he'll get an opportunity or two in the league.

Yeah I would think Donegal are a bit ahead of us at the minute.
But at the same time, they haven't had any real challenge yet.
Derry never really out of 2nd gear and always looked like they could up the game when needed.
Murphy had a good game.
I thought Higgins was good too.

Norm-Peterson

Sperrin Metal said in the Derry Post that they were the first Derry jersey sponsors. I am confused about that as in the 1991 championship the sponsor was Carhill Car Sales. The first photo I've seen of Sperrin Metal on jerseys was 1992.

Wildweasel74

screenexile

I remember it was definitely Carhill in 1991 then Sperrin Metal in 1992.

Burns Clothing sponsored the Ulster Final jerseys that year for some reason 🤷