Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: SamFever on June 16, 2016, 08:12:15 AM
Quote from: cut the crap on June 15, 2016, 11:46:26 PM
Sam it's probably too far for you to travel and I am not proposing putting anyone out of football, but it would take a few south down guys willing to travel to training in much the same way we in east down have done for decades, Ballykinlar should be upgraded , expanded and used to develope our teams, but it will not happen because of its location.
I would have no need to be travelling to BK,all I had asked was where or what happens to BK as a Club if this were to happen.
  Anyone know who the new additions are to the panel apart from Davison?
Arguing the unsuitability of ballykinlar's location is one thing,  but arguing that the club would suffer doesnt make sense. If Ballykinlar Was to be refurbished say with changing room upgrade and floodlights, and perhaps an additional pitch this would breathe life into the club not only in terms of facilities but in terms of attractiveness/marketing in their local community. The best location for county training is an old chestnut but any decision on county training venue/s needs to determined taking a lot of factors into consideration, not least current and future demographics and financial sustainability. Personally my thoughts around a centre of excellence have changed somewhat having seen the likes of Garvaghy. The key things for me is optimal use of resources both in terms of capital expense and future running costs, and most importantly player convenience. Any future facilities should also benefit clubs , who then have a buy-in. In many ways having a facility attached to schools and clubs, may be more beneficial long term.
Garvaghey for example has been described as a sprawling vanity project, underused for much of the year & inaccessible to several Tyrone clubs. As it is a stand alone facility there are issues around maintenance and staffing etc.
We are actually now blessed with access to several excellent floodlit grass venues, Belfast , and south Down for example , and in many respects cooperation with schools/clubs in providing floodlighting and/or quality changing rooms at existing grass venues , would be a far better model in terms of accessibility and sustainability.
A centre of excellence is likely to be controversial, costly and therefore likely to be unchievable for several years. Considerations such as several senior players likely to working/living in Dublin in the future , also makes the likes of Castlewellan or Ballykinlar less attractive. Do we want a vanity project  or do we actually want something that genuinely makes it more convenient for players, hopefully leaving them fresher .
Floodlighting the grass pitches at the Redhigh and exploring the use of st malachys castlewellan at the weekends are 2 simple changes, and allied to the existing use of Queens and Newry venues , would be achievable, and represent great added value for surrounding clubs.

Down Follower

Quote from: 6th sam on June 16, 2016, 10:04:11 AM
Sam it's probably too far for you to travel and I am not proposing putting anyone out of football, but it would take a few south down guys willing to travel to training in much the same way we in east down have done for decades, Ballykinlar should be upgraded , expanded and used to develope our teams, but it will not happen because of its location.
I would have no need to be travelling to BK,all I had asked was where or what happens to BK as a Club if this were to happen.
Arguing the unsuitability of ballykinlar's location is one thing,  but arguing that the club would suffer doesnt make sense. If Ballykinlar Was to be refurbished say with changing room upgrade and floodlights, and perhaps an additional pitch this would breathe life into the club not only in terms of facilities but in terms of attractiveness/marketing in their local community. The best location for county training is an old chestnut but any decision on county training venue/s needs to determined taking a lot of factors into consideration, not least current and future demographics and financial sustainability. Personally my thoughts around a centre of excellence have changed somewhat having seen the likes of Garvaghy. The key things for me is optimal use of resources both in terms of capital expense and future running costs, and most importantly player convenience. Any future facilities should also benefit clubs , who then have a buy-in. In many ways having a facility attached to schools and clubs, may be more beneficial long term.
Garvaghey for example has been described as a sprawling vanity project, underused for much of the year & inaccessible to several Tyrone clubs. As it is a stand alone facility there are issues around maintenance and staffing etc.
We are actually now blessed with access to several excellent floodlit grass venues, Belfast , and south Down for example , and in many respects cooperation with schools/clubs in providing floodlighting and/or quality changing rooms at existing grass venues , would be a far better model in terms of accessibility and sustainability.
A centre of excellence is likely to be controversial, costly and therefore likely to be unchievable for several years. Considerations such as several senior players likely to working/living in Dublin in the future , also makes the likes of Castlewellan or Ballykinlar less attractive. Do we want a vanity project  or do we actually want something that genuinely makes it more convenient for players, hopefully leaving them fresher .
Floodlighting the grass pitches at the Redhigh and exploring the use of st malachys castlewellan at the weekends are 2 simple changes, and allied to the existing use of Queens and Newry venues , would be achievable, and represent great added value for surrounding clubs.

Now we have someone who is starting to think strategically and provide a thought out opinion on something.  Others may argue that Garvaghy has secured Tyrones future as a top 6 team for the foreseeable future.  At present though, we have no where near the appetite or the finances for something like that so we need an alternative.

rosskarr

Quote from: Down Follower on June 16, 2016, 11:24:17 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on June 16, 2016, 10:04:11 AM

Now we have someone who is starting to think strategically and provide a thought out opinion on something.  Others may argue that Garvaghy has secured Tyrones future as a top 6 team for the foreseeable future.  At present though, we have no where near the appetite or the finances for something like that so we need an alternative.
The same way as Owenbeg has improved Derry's stock in the Gaa world.

6th sam

Exactly.
And Tyrone won their 3 all-Ireland's pre-garvaghy.
Is it a case of, Be careful what we wish for?
There appears to be no correlation between centres of excellence and playing success.
The fact that we have been one of the last counties to have a centre , presents us with a challenge to determine what is our best option, what is the best use of resources to Enjoy sustainable playing success.

rosskarr

Quote from: 6th sam on June 16, 2016, 03:07:37 PM
Exactly.
There appears to be no correlation between centres of excellence and playing success.
The fact that we have been one of the last counties to have a centre , presents us with a challenge to determine what is our best option, what is the best use of resources to Enjoy sustainable playing success.
i was being sarcastic about Derry's performances since they acquired Owenbeg. Schools and Club pitches with floodlights are the way forward with financial input from the County.

TheClutch

Quote from: rosskarr on June 16, 2016, 03:47:31 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on June 16, 2016, 03:07:37 PM
Exactly.
i was being sarcastic about Derry's performances since they acquired Owenbeg. Schools and Club pitches with floodlights are the way forward with financial input from the County.

I would agree that providing the clubs and schools with a higher standard of facilities will help to mould better juvenile teams and should help in sustaining interest levels post Minor grade. If clubs and the schools all over the county (as opposed to one centre) all have good quality facilities, and they receive help in attaining these facilities from the county board then they in turn should provide these to the county teams for training and development.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

cut the crap

The assumption i am looking to put Ballykinlar Gac out of business is totally wrong, firstly the upgrading of their facilities would them help re emerge . and the county teams seeking to train collectively would have a centre which they could consider  home, we should be using club facilities within the county but upgrading lights in the Abbey is not the way forward,ask anyone who has played football and they will tell you it is better to train on grass rather than a G 3 or 4 pitch, best surface a sandy based one, and a surface which stands up to our indifferent climate --  Ballykinlar.
We missed out on the school in Castlewellan,we made a pigs arse out of Burrenbridge, im not looking for a Garvaghy or Owenbeg , we dont have the funds, but we need a facility that is available all year round , somewhere that wont require hundreds of thousands to develop --- with the blessing of Ballykinlar Gac their facilities might be the answer, but obviously  they have to be asked, has anyone got any alternatives.

johnneycool

What's the Bann road facilities like in Castlewellan, could the county board come to an agreement there?

imagine

Quote from: cut the crap on June 16, 2016, 07:49:49 PM
The assumption i am looking to put Ballykinlar Gac out of business is totally wrong, firstly the upgrading of their facilities would them help re emerge . and the county teams seeking to train collectively would have a centre which they could consider  home, we should be using club facilities within the county but upgrading lights in the Abbey is not the way forward,ask anyone who has played football and they will tell you it is better to train on grass rather than a G 3 or 4 pitch, best surface a sandy based one, and a surface which stands up to our indifferent climate --  Ballykinlar.
We missed out on the school in Castlewellan,we made a pigs arse out of Burrenbridge, im not looking for a Garvaghy or Owenbeg , we dont have the funds, but we need a facility that is available all year round , somewhere that wont require hundreds of thousands to develop --- with the blessing of Ballykinlar Gac their facilities might be the answer, but obviously  they have to be asked, has anyone got any alternatives.
Your thoughts on all of this must have got the blessing of big wigs around the army base country😀😀

supersub

Heard Mason is in and possibly another O'Hagan?

imagine

Quote from: supersub on June 16, 2016, 09:57:32 PM

Another brother from Clonduff?

cut the crap

Ah sure Imagine we had a plan to actually do something about the lack of county training facilities, we could put lights around the Red High, great , when it rains , the grass pitches are unplayable and the school authorities won't let you cut up the pitches , oh and it's 90 pds per hour for hire, let's go to the Newry area, sorry can't play in the rain, ah but there is the Bann Rd Castlewellan, sorry it's not playable in the rain, buts there's G3 pitches galore, ah but it's on record that certain injuries are related to training on that type of surface, so where do we go from here, smart remarks about the location of Ballykinlar isn't helpful, I for one , if given the chance would buy back every bit of land which was historically taken from our ancestors , so trotting out the same old rhetoric is at best childest at worst devicive, we don't have pots of money and it wouldn't take a load of money to upgrade Ballykinlar s one pitch. One last point to note , the same facility , was in use when every other grass pitch in the county was unplayable,if you doubt my word ask the county managers.

imagine

Quote from: cut the crap on June 16, 2016, 11:20:25 PM
Ah sure Imagine we had a plan to actually do something about the lack of county training facilities, we could put lights around the Red High, great , when it rains , the grass pitches are unplayable and the school authorities won't let you cut up the pitches , oh and it's 90 pds per hour for hire, let's go to the Newry area, sorry can't play in the rain, ah but there is the Bann Rd Castlewellan, sorry it's not playable in the rain, buts there's G3 pitches galore, ah but it's on record that certain injuries are related to training on that type of surface, so where do we go from here, smart remarks about the location of Ballykinlar isn't helpful, I for one , if given the chance would buy back every bit of land which was historically taken from our ancestors , so trotting out the same old rhetoric is at best childest at worst devicive, we don't have pots of money and it wouldn't take a load of money to upgrade Ballykinlar s one pitch. One last point to note , the same facility , was in use when every other grass pitch in the county was unplayable,if you doubt my word ask the county managers.
Cut the crap,I agree with you on all points.Coming from a small Club myself I just would be concerned that it would affect Ballykinlar adversely.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: imagine on June 16, 2016, 10:13:58 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 16, 2016, 09:57:32 PM

Another brother from Clonduff?

Alan Daivdson, Anthony Doherty, Rory Mason and Packie O'Hagan (cousin not brother) all asked in.

speculative

Many on here complaining we don't have the money. The question I'd ask is why we do we not have the money? What is the difference between us and Leitrim, Offaly or Louth (all have Centre of Excellences)?

We should be seeking out contributors from far and wide...

But alas- who would want to invest their money in Down football given those that would be entrusted to spend it...