Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Folks I seen starlink mentioned on this thread before and I was considering getting it, but didn't bite the bullet. I wish I acted sooner, have it in a few days now and it has been truly live changing lol. Speeds well over 100mbps. Crap Internet was the only thing that would have made me consider moving house. 9mbps was the best we ever got before hand, and that was a real rarity. It was 4 or 5 on a good day. Loads of buffering even on Netflix. 3 wanes all plugged in, nightmare. If anyone else is the same boat with no access to superfast fibre optic broadband, just get it. It will change your world!

Cavan19

Quote from: HiMucker on February 10, 2023, 08:18:31 AM
Folks I seen starlink mentioned on this thread before and I was considering getting it, but didn't bite the bullet. I wish I acted sooner, have it in a few days now and it has been truly live changing lol. Speeds well over 100mbps. Crap Internet was the only thing that would have made me consider moving house. 9mbps was the best we ever got before hand, and that was a real rarity. It was 4 or 5 on a good day. Loads of buffering even on Netflix. 3 wanes all plugged in, nightmare. If anyone else is the same boat with no access to superfast fibre optic broadband, just get it. It will change your world!

Whats it costing you?

HiMucker

Quote from: Cavan19 on February 10, 2023, 08:23:24 AM

Whats it costing you?
450 euro for the hardware, and 80 euro a month. Its expensive, but needs must. I'm paying 50 a month to vodafone for absolutely muck broadband, which obviously I'll be telling them to shove up their hole now. So the difference, for the benefit it gives the house, stuff I can do at home instead of having to do at work, and the bonus that I can take it to the caravan as well is neglible IMO.

Cavan19

Quote from: HiMucker on February 10, 2023, 08:39:17 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on February 10, 2023, 08:23:24 AM

Whats it costing you?
450 euro for the hardware, and 80 euro a month. Its expensive, but needs must. I'm paying 50 a month to vodafone for absolutely muck broadband, which obviously I'll be telling them to shove up their hole now. So the difference, for the benefit it gives the house, stuff I can do at home instead of having to do at work, and the bonus that I can take it to the caravan as well is neglible IMO.

I'm lucky to have decent enough broadband it's good enough for my needs and everyone else in the house but i would absolutely pay that if it was my only option.

HiMucker

Yeah realistically 20 or 30mbps would have been all I needed but couldn't even get that. Bluebox and beacon broadband were looked at, but we are in a bit of a hollow so wasn't an option.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on February 10, 2023, 08:48:43 AM
Yeah realistically 20 or 30mbps would have been all I needed but couldn't even get that. Bluebox and beacon broadband were looked at, but we are in a bit of a hollow so wasn't an option.

It was torture when the kids were in the house and the internet was on a go slow!! Easily pay that just to stop the moaning!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Norf Tyrone

Anyone have any experience of Fibrus? I see they are 'in my locality' now!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

giveherlong

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 15, 2023, 08:12:14 AM

There is a Fibrus user group on Facebook worth joining
Plenty of good and bad reviews
Private group called: Fibrus User Group
Ulster Farmers Union membership gets you a discount of their offers

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: giveherlong on February 15, 2023, 08:51:34 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 15, 2023, 08:12:14 AM

There is a Fibrus user group on Facebook worth joining
Plenty of good and bad reviews
Private group called: Fibrus User Group
Ulster Farmers Union membership gets you a discount of their offers

Good job- Thanks
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Mourne Red

Just ordered it there a couple of days ago myself, can't do anything if fiance is on a zoom call or I am when WFH or even sending video on WhatsApp.. currently 9 Down and 0.8mb up so hoping Elon does the busines- Shipping times are a bit slow so 2 weeks before dish arrives.

How did you wire it into the house HiMucker? Thinking of feeding it through attic myself

HiMucker

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 11, 2023, 09:38:11 PM

Just ordered it there a couple of days ago myself, can't do anything if fiance is on a zoom call or I am when WFH or even sending video on WhatsApp.. currently 9 Down and 0.8mb up so hoping Elon does the busines- Shipping times are a bit slow so 2 weeks before dish arrives.

How did you wire it into the house HiMucker? Thinking of feeding it through attic myself
Ah, funny you should mention this, I hadn't bothered my balls doing anything and it was just sitting on the lawn, kept putting it off. Actually had to get a new cable the other week as a young lad drove over it cutting the grass lol. Internet down for two days. Guy was out today looking at where to get it mounted permanently. Going to just drill a hole in the living room wall and bring it in there. Got a couple of boosters as well, as the starlink  router doesn't have great range. Tbh it was just as good as the last router, but I obviously wasn't that interested in getting shit Internet in all the rooms.

johnnycool

Since that last storm on Sunday night my Fibrus connection is still down and lying by the roadside less than a mile from my home.

Absolute shít show and TBH with them being so small of an outfit, kinda expected by very disappointing

Kidder81

Quote from: johnnycool on January 29, 2024, 12:10:59 PMSince that last storm on Sunday night my Fibrus connection is still down and lying by the roadside less than a mile from my home.

Absolute shít show and TBH with them being so small of an outfit, kinda expected by very disappointing

Redundancies coming with them now too as well

TabClear

I am with Fibrus a couple of years as was tied in after they brought fibre up my road., they did did a free connection.I had no choice as BT could only offer copper. Does anyone know if they have to allow competitors to use the lines after a period, i.e. can BT offer me fibre now using Fibrus infrastructure?

JohnDenver

Quote from: TabClear on January 29, 2024, 12:54:34 PMI am with Fibrus a couple of years as was tied in after they brought fibre up my road., they did did a free connection.I had no choice as BT could only offer copper. Does anyone know if they have to allow competitors to use the lines after a period, i.e. can BT offer me fibre now using Fibrus infrastructure?

Almost certain they don't share the lines. Which is fairly stupid especially in rural areas