Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2023, 04:34:59 PM
Absolutely brutal. Daughter confusing around the place so I missed who it was but someone in the first 10 was going almost completely sideways to try and stay upright.

That was Gaudu

bennydorano

Quote from: maddog on July 19, 2023, 04:30:59 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2023, 04:05:50 PM
Mad how he looked completely unbeatable until last year and now surely he'll be questioning how or if he'll ever be back on top again. Only 24 obvs but JV is hardly an elder statesmen either.

The interrupted preparation argument I don't buy quite so much given how good he looked for the first couple of weeks. He put in some huge shifts that JV couldn't match at times, although obviously nowhere near enough.

It's the wearing down process i think. 3rd week and the cracks appeared. Also if JV targets the Tour only and little else but Pogacar is trying to win Spring classics etc it has to come into it. Perhaps a more focussed approach next year. Some ride by the Yates lads and Bilbao today. That last ramp was bordering on cruel.
The TDF while obviously the pinnacle is not the be all and end all. Just the 3 Spring classics for Pogacar this year before he broke his wrist trying to win another. He's going to have decisions to make next year if he wants to win another Tour. Jumbo Visma are in  sponsorship upheaval as well so there could be big changes in that camp next season.

grounded

https://www.bt.dk/tour-de-france/vingegaard-saetter-vanvittig-watt-rekord-jeg-har-aldrig-set-noget-lignende

7.6 W/kg over 13.21 mins for Jonas

Côte de Domancy to Combloux (6,05km; 6,84%; 414m)

13'21min
27,19km/h
1861 VAM
7,60ᵉw/kg (est.)
CLIMBING RECORD.

JimStynes

Doped to the eyeballs or just amazing improvements in sports science   ::)

bennydorano

Some reception for Pinot. Be great to see him go out with a 🏆,  can't see it tho

markl121

This is unreal.

grounded

Pity for Pinot, would have loved to see him win. Great finish tough with Pogacar salvaging a little pride, although Jonas didnt seem too pushed.

markl121

Quote from: grounded on July 22, 2023, 08:14:01 PM
Pity for Pinot, would have loved to see him win. Great finish tough with Pogacar salvaging a little pride, although Jonas didnt seem too pushed.
Was typical pinot though, strike for glory but end in heartbreak

grounded

Well that was exciting! Great finish.

majestic

I'm thinking about doing the ring of Kerry next year, and was thinking the best thing for me to do would be to join a cycling club, anyone a member of any of the Belfast clubs that they would recommend? I've not really rode in a group before as I am a commuter.

bennydorano

I don't know much about the Belfast clubs but there's a list

http://www.cyclingulster.com/clubs/

RedHand88

Anyone doing Lap the Lough?

Thinking of doing it this year but it's only 4 weeks away this weekend so I've left it late to start training. Typical cycle for me would be 30-60km. Never done more than 70km at a time which is just under half the distance but I'm going to train like a dog this month to get up to speed.

JimStynes

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2023, 10:12:13 AM

Thinking of doing it this year but it's only 4 weeks away this weekend so I've left it late to start training. Typical cycle for me would be 30-60km. Never done more than 70km at a time which is just under half the distance but I'm going to train like a dog this month to get up to speed.

It's as handy an 80miles as you'll find so if you pace it you'll be grand. There's only 1 or 2 hills in it that would be worth talking about.

maddog

Does any other sportive in Ireland charge that 20euro for non cycling Ireland members?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2023, 10:12:13 AM

You'll not win it so go around and enjoy it, there are lads and women doing it in old fashion bikes and people on mountain bikes. Its more a bitta craic that sportive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea