Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Sportacus on May 04, 2020, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: illdecide on May 04, 2020, 07:30:04 PM
I think the biggest problem we face here is ignorance...in Europe you can cycle anywhere and it's very rare for motorists to hoot the horn or try to clip you with their wing mirrors but here it's like "i'll put manners in them feckers" attitude. Cycling is getting more popular and all the motorists that are in their rush to get where they're going will have to adopt, cyclists have the same right to be on the road as any other vehicle so deal with it.
If you're driving behind a tractor you won't try to clip him with your wing mirror to learn them manners but you're prepared to do it to cyclists...Form of bullying TBH. The culture is here to stay so we'll have to adopt and learn to be more patient and pass cyclists when it is safe to do so, if your journey takes you an extra 15 seconds it'll hardly destroy your day.
For every bad cyclist there's a bad motorist but hopefully both with catch themselves on and learn to respect each other...when cyclists are in a group they should pull over when it's safe to do so and let the queue of traffic pass, cars should give cyclists the room and space to pass when it is safe to do so...It's all about safety folks, no cyclist wants to get hurt and no motorist wants to have to go to some home and tell the wife and kids that i've just knocked your husband/father off the bike and he's on his way to hospital (or worse leaving a wreath at the house).

So the next time you're passing a bike slow down and have a gawk at the bike and admire the fine piece of engineering.
So next time you're cycling towards two pedestrians on a country road, slow down and give them a plenty wide berth.

Next time you're driving towards two pedestrians on a country road, slow down and give them a plenty wide berth.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on May 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

Riders riding single file: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

Riders riding abreast: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

The only difference is the length of the group, and a wider but short group is easier to get past because you don't need such a long gap in oncoming traffic.

;D ;D ;D
Yeah cos when you come across a group of cyclists they are always riding in such a uniform manner, they are strung out over the road and your passing one group of them then stuck behind the next part of the group. We are talking about real life scenarios here not idealised ones that suit your argument.

In the scenario where you are conducting a large group cycle on a regional/B road in Ireland where it is a tight squeeze for 2 vehicles and a cyclist to pass this may be correct. However might I add it would be most inconsiderate to conduct a large scale cycle of 9+ cyclists on a road like this especially when others are available.

However for main roads, minor roads etc this is not the case, and virtually all roads in California are large enough for multiple vehicle to pass abreast.

When there are 2 or 3 cyclists riding in single file it is quite easy to pass them safely insteady of them riding abreast

If your riding 2/3 a breast its a ticking time bomb for a scenario arising where you get knocked down, alls it takes is for one driver to come around a corner too fast and be confronted with the option of hitting the cyclists or getting in a head on collision with an on coming lorry.

omaghjoe

Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 10:39:41 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

How far do you pull out when they are single file?
Are the roads around Lough wide enough to allow 2m for a cyclist and still overtake into oncoming traffic?

what lough?

omaghjoe

Would also say a lot of cyclists prob do it because it feels safer, you are close to other people and there there is maybe a feeling of protection from the closeness however id say it pretty false feeling as if the group is struck by a 1ton vehicle travelling at 50mph the protection would be negligible

LeoMc

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:43:55 PM

Are the roads around Lough wide enough to allow 2m for a cyclist and still overtake into oncoming traffic?

what lough?
Loughmcrory

omaghjoe

Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 10:52:57 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

LeoMc

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:56:50 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Mixing you up with Omagh Gael. :-[

Anyway as per the Highway Code.

Rule 66
You should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

omaghjoe

Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 11:05:27 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Rule 66
You should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You showing me or Eammon?

bennydorano

The only argument that is more circular and pointless than orange v green. Avoid.

Tony Baloney

I think the biggest problem we face here is ignorance...in Europe you can cycle anywhere and it's very rare for motorists to hoot the horn or try to clip you with their wing mirrors but here it's like "i'll put manners in them feckers" attitude. Cycling is getting more popular and all the motorists that are in their rush to get where they're going will have to adopt, cyclists have the same right to be on the road as any other vehicle so deal with it.
If you're driving behind a tractor you won't try to clip him with your wing mirror to learn them manners but you're prepared to do it to cyclists...Form of bullying TBH. The culture is here to stay so we'll have to adopt and learn to be more patient and pass cyclists when it is safe to do so, if your journey takes you an extra 15 seconds it'll hardly destroy your day.
For every bad cyclist there's a bad motorist but hopefully both with catch themselves on and learn to respect each other...when cyclists are in a group they should pull over when it's safe to do so and let the queue of traffic pass, cars should give cyclists the room and space to pass when it is safe to do so...It's all about safety folks, no cyclist wants to get hurt and no motorist wants to have to go to some home and tell the wife and kids that i've just knocked your husband/father off the bike and he's on his way to hospital (or worse leaving a wreath at the house).

So the next time you're passing a bike slow down and have a gawk at the bike and admire the fine piece of engineering.
Have never ever seen a group of cyclists make any adjustments for motorists and I've passed hundreds of the c***ts.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 04, 2020, 11:58:27 PM

Have never ever seen a group of cyclists make any adjustments for motorists and I've passed hundreds of the c***ts.

LeoMc

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 11:12:28 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Rule 66

There is a bit in it for everyone.  8)

Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Rule 69
You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

Rule 71
You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic.

Rule 79
Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Rule 80
Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time

Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room. If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

trailer

Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2020, 11:59:28 AM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Rule 66

Rule 64

Rule 69

Rule 71
You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic.

Rule 79
Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Rule 80
Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time

Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room. If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Have to say this one gets me. Cyclists do think that this rule doesn't apply to them.

LeoMc

Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 12:17:43 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Rule 66

Rule 64

Rule 69

Rule 71

Rule 79

Rule 80

Rule 163

Rule 212

Rule 213

Have to say this one gets me. Cyclists do think that this rule doesn't apply to them.
All cyclists?

Taylor

Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2020, 12:29:07 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 12:17:43 PM

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Rule 66

Rule 64

Rule 69

Rule 71

Rule 79

Rule 80

Rule 163

Rule 212

Rule 213

All cyclists?

Not all - many of them.

In the same way not all drivers are dangerous towards cyclists