Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

https://www.mcconveycycles.com/tarmac-expert.html

Guys sort of done a deal for this bike here but i've until tomorow to make up my mind...Can u men have a look at the spec and advise if you think it's worth the money...obviously it's for the summer months.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Looks the Business and is good value. The wheels Fulcrum S 19 light?  I'm assuming that's a rebranded name for the entry level Sport / 7s? Would probably expect better on a bike that price tbh, but the main thing is you have the Ultegra groupset, i'd be upgrading the wheels at some point.

JimStynes

And the FSA crankset to make the full groupset ultegra. Any bike at that price will have a decent frame. They will cut corners on things like wheels and mixing and matching groupsets, pedals etc . I'd buy a frame and build a bike as deals come around. Good deals out there on full groupsets.

bennydorano

Quote from: bennydorano on January 01, 2017, 07:45:13 PM
See Planet X have multiple deals on & if you can build a bike that comes boxed you can save an extra £200. The Viner Settanta looks an absolute stunner http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/viner-settanta
Can get it with Shimano 105 for £1,000 (1200 built)
That Viner-settanta is available now for £1,299 (boxed) or £1,499 (built) with Full Ultegra & Team Vision 35mm wheels (Fulcrum Quattro standard), that is some deal. Bike looks stunning but haven't read any reviews yet.

Orior

Quote from: No wides on January 06, 2017, 10:26:03 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 05, 2017, 12:13:51 PM
Here lads,
    Is there any onus on cyclists who're causing long tailbacks to pull in and let cars past?

The highway code states

Rule 66
You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
not ride close behind another vehicle

not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

But I doubt any cyclist feels the need to obey any rules of the road, especially around the 6 counties from what I can see.  Sunday means get 40 mates and take up the whole road riding and chatting!

There are good cyclists and there are bad cyclists.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2017, 05:33:24 PM
Looks the Business and is good value. The wheels Fulcrum S 19 light?  I'm assuming that's a rebranded name for the entry level Sport / 7s? Would probably expect better on a bike that price tbh, but the main thing is you have the Ultegra groupset, i'd be upgrading the wheels at some point.

Benny would it matter to you if you didn't have the full ultegra group set? That is a carbon crank on that bike?. JimStynes reckons he'd rather have the full group set but the guys in the cycling shop said "I know where he's coming from but a carbon crank is actually better". As you say the only real disappointment on the bike is the wheels and i suppose it's only really anything you'd upgrade in the future.

bennydorano

FSA SLK light are top quality, I remember going looking the SLK  chainset a year or two ago and being quoted way more than an Ultegra chainset. It's a bonus imo.

grounded

grounded

Quote from: illdecide on January 09, 2017, 02:27:10 PM
https://www.mcconveycycles.com/tarmac-expert.html

Guys sort of done a deal for this bike here but i've until tomorow to make up my mind...Can u men have a look at the spec and advise if you think it's worth the money...obviously it's for the summer months.

Actually a terrific bike. Sure the wheels aren't top spec but they are fine considering the condition of our roads!  I actually purchased a 2012 tarmac expert frame last year of ebay and built it up with a new 105 groupset which was half price on wiggle. I suppose it's a risk buying a 2nd hand carbon frame but the seller seemed genuine and for £210 I thought worth it!
   Built for racing, so not very comfortable for very long spins..

illdecide

Done the deal and bought the bike...still feeling a bit shocked here. (hope I've done the right thing)

Can some of you answer a question...I was told to renew my Cycle Ireland licence but when i logged onto their website they say my renewal is due in May 2017 (i paid my licence in May 2016) but all the lads at the cycling club are saying that the licence expires for everyone on 31st December every year.

I downloaded the licence yesterday which they have as a PDF on their website and definitely say's May 2017...any of you know the craic here as i wouldn't want an accident and not be covered.

bennydorano

Seems to be something new this as a few in our club are effected, it has been a Jan to Dec thing since I got involved, but seems leisure licences have changed, ur covered ok AFAIK.

Good luck with the bike! Get a bike fit or that racey yoke will cripple you.

theskull1

Roughly lads .... forgetting the purchase price of a bike and initial outlay for clothing/shoes etc, if youre a keen cyclist ... how much would you spend a year on cycling? Get the feeling its a constant cash burner?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mrdeeds

I'd spend on my gels and high five. Maybe new tube or two of punctures and usually a service at start of year. So it's relatively inexpensive after initial outlay.