Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on June 08, 2015, 10:14:59 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 07, 2015, 09:53:02 PM
Anyone advise on any stretches/exercises to do before, during or after a long cycle?

Anything that works for you to prevent injuries/cramp etc?
Bit of a tangent but - I went for a bike fit (Derek Finnegan in Portadown, excellent btw), he's a Physio as well as his bike involvement. He was telling me re cycling - warm up on bike then stretch, not stretch & go cycling. Post cycling stretching hugely important too.

Did he mention avoiding stop-offs that have a chinese and a chippy?    :P

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on June 08, 2015, 09:02:38 AM
To the guys who done the Wicklow race yesterday...Fair play to you. I had a look at the race on strava last night and it would have been a nightmare driving that route in a car never mind cycling it...I done 45 mile yesterday and I thought it was tough (was a very hilly route) then I seen what you men done and reality kicked in of how far down the pecking order I am...
Had a conversation with Rufus there a week or so ago & I was comparing football & cycling in (very simple) comparative terms. In football i reckon you were generally good, bad or 'ok' (granted there cud be a few more levels!). I find cycling completely different in that the layering of abilities in cycling could be categorised in 100 different levels of ability, the next incrementally better than the last.

One great truism about cycling is "there's always someone to put you in your box".

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on June 09, 2015, 04:54:51 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 08, 2015, 09:02:38 AM
To the guys who done the Wicklow race yesterday...Fair play to you. I had a look at the race on strava last night and it would have been a nightmare driving that route in a car never mind cycling it...I done 45 mile yesterday and I thought it was tough (was a very hilly route) then I seen what you men done and reality kicked in of how far down the pecking order I am...
Had a conversation with Rufus there a week or so ago & I was comparing football & cycling in (very simple) comparative terms. In football i reckon you were generally good, bad or 'ok' (granted there cud be a few more levels!). I find cycling completely different in that the layering of abilities in cycling could be categorised in 100 different levels of ability, the next incrementally better than the last.

One great truism about cycling is "there's always someone to put you in your box".

Very true! Always someone quicker! I find the good racing men in the club unreal and can't even begin to imagine what the pros are like. The stats from the Ras were scary!

maddog

Anyone see Bardet descending like a lunatic yesterday in the Dauphine. At one point he had sheer rock face off to his left and sheer drops off the right but still was taking the bends going full pelt. One mistake and he wasnt going to walk out of it thats for sure.

illdecide

Guys if you were heading out for say 60-70 miles what food would you have in ya and would u always stop somewhere halfway for something like bar of chocolate and bottle of Luccozade etc. the reason for this was I went out last Sunday and done close to 50 miles (very hilly route) and didn't eat anything when we called into shop half way around as I believed a bowl of porridge and 2 rounds of toast with 2 poached eggs that I had for my breakfast would have been enough fuel to see me home (plus wasn't feeling hungry anyway). I got home fine from the cycle just started to feel a bit tired 3-4 mile from house but was ok. After I got home within 30 mins I had a large plate of spaghetti Bolognese and garlic bread but I was still fecked and just lay about all day like i'd been in the ring with Tyson.

I'd no energy the rest of the day and was tired and lethargic...So don't really know WTF was going on. I've done bigger miles than that and never felt like I did on Sunday. Was it because I didn't refuel halfway round the trip or was it just a one off and put it down to experience? Anyway just interested in what you guys eat for a cycle and what you refuel up with afterwards...Ta
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Clov

Seen that. Breath-taking stuff.
Read also that he had never actually done that descent before and had just looked at it on google maps that morning which makes it even more remarkable.

The scenery is stunning also.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

oakleafer

Slaughtneil GAA club are running a 100k cycle this Sunday (June 14th). Sean Kelly will be riding in it, so thought it might interest a few of you folks on the board.

Details and entry can be found in the link below:

http://www.entrycentral.com/carntocoast

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on June 12, 2015, 10:49:07 AM
Guys if you were heading out for say 60-70 miles what food would you have in ya and would u always stop somewhere halfway for something like bar of chocolate and bottle of Luccozade etc. the reason for this was I went out last Sunday and done close to 50 miles (very hilly route) and didn't eat anything when we called into shop half way around as I believed a bowl of porridge and 2 rounds of toast with 2 poached eggs that I had for my breakfast would have been enough fuel to see me home (plus wasn't feeling hungry anyway). I got home fine from the cycle just started to feel a bit tired 3-4 mile from house but was ok. After I got home within 30 mins I had a large plate of spaghetti Bolognese and garlic bread but I was still fecked and just lay about all day like i'd been in the ring with Tyson.

I'd no energy the rest of the day and was tired and lethargic...So don't really know WTF was going on. I've done bigger miles than that and never felt like I did on Sunday. Was it because I didn't refuel halfway round the trip or was it just a one off and put it down to experience? Anyway just interested in what you guys eat for a cycle and what you refuel up with afterwards...Ta
Mind being told to check my birth certificate for a major reason of a poor showing! I would be inconsistent on the bike, i can feel different every time i go out on a bike, good, bad & indifferent. No major mystery behind it imo, your approach  was spot on.

JimStynes

Was out today and got on the back of a group. Thought it was team sky over training for the weekend! Just a crowd of Armagh fellas leading the charge through Glenavy and Aghagallon though.

bennydorano

Elite handsome squad :D

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on June 13, 2015, 04:17:55 PM
Was out today and got on the back of a group. Thought it was team sky over training for the weekend! Just a crowd of Armagh fellas leading the charge through Glenavy and Aghagallon though.

well it certainly wasn't my group because you wouldn't have been at the back that's for sure...There were reports of unusual activity around Divis yesterday so we decided to do a u turn and headed for Aldergrove instead
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Anyone do the Gran Fondo? 

JimStynes

yeah. A great day out and superb organisation with the closed roads. The best sportive I've done. Some complaints about not having sandwiches etc at food stops but I always bring my own stuff so didn't affect me.

grounded

Sounds brilliant. Having the closed roads sounds great, though I imagine the start was a bit mad with so many riders. A local lad from rostrevor came 9th overall, he led coming down into Rostrevor which was a great buzz for the spectators. £55 is a little steep but I suppose for the closed  roads it might be worth it.