Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on May 29, 2015, 01:13:16 PM
Quote from: illdecide on May 29, 2015, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 29, 2015, 08:28:36 AM
Did you do the tour of Fermanagh last year Jim? I think I remember chatting a few lads from your part of the world (if your part of the world is lurgan which I think it is) at it.

There's no way he's a Lurgan man...He's a bit soft (Antrim man ;))

Def not Lurgan or an antrim man! I'm an aghagallon man! We head into Lurgan every now and again to beat them in football and take their women.

Hey big Jim you have never beat a good Lurgan team ;) but you are more than welcome to our Lurgan women (they're all rotten)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

LeoMc

anybody on here ever bought a bike off Ribble or PlanetX?
You seem to get a lot more bike for your buck but are the frames and build quality of a similar standard to the big makers?

bennydorano

I've had 3 Ribbles & 1 Planet X, they are 100%. Ribble R872 is a very racey yoke, very fast. You could build yourself a clinker (watch the geometry, i ordered one that was slightly 2 big, had to put a short 80mm stem on it at a later date). I part traded in my Planet X for current yoke, but i really liked it & am considering going for another one as my C2W year is clear again next month :). Dolan are another self-build crowd.

You should also check out German options, Rose & Canyon do self build options & with the Euro the way it is you could get a great deal.

gerry

Got a Ribble and I can't fault it
, good value for money IMO
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

You were getting a bit of abuse the tour of fermanagh today gerry!

heffo

Am doing a few Triathlons this year and maybe an Ironman next year. Am also doing a few cycling events.

In two minds whether to get a TT bike or upgrade my road bike - was looking at a felt B16 TT - any feedback??

LeoMc

Quote from: bennydorano on May 30, 2015, 05:49:33 PM
I've had 3 Ribbles & 1 Planet X, they are 100%. Ribble R872 is a very racey yoke, very fast. You could build yourself a clinker (watch the geometry, i ordered one that was slightly 2 big, had to put a short 80mm stem on it at a later date). I part traded in my Planet X for current yoke, but i really liked it & am considering going for another one as my C2W year is clear again next month :). Dolan are another self-build crowd.

You should also check out German options, Rose & Canyon do self build options & with the Euro the way it is you could get a great deal.

Cheers, was looking up "Rose & Canyon" and kept getting a bike shop in the US before realsiing they were 2 different companies. Ribble seems to be as good a value in terms of components for your money but I have no knowledge of what to look out for in terms of wheels.

bennydorano

Really depends on what u r prepared to spend? If ur trying to keep it under £1k for a C2W scheme, you r going to find it hard to get something really good, the starters Ribble would offer would be Rodi airline or Evos, Mavic One/ Aksium, Fulcrum 7 / Sport, Shimano 500/501, Rs10, Rs30s. Next level up, Mavic Ksyrium Equipes, Fulcrum 5s or Quattros, Shimano Ultegra wheels and i'm sure many more i've forgotten or dont know about.

There's level upon level until u get to silly money.

JimStynes

A fella in the club thought he had wrecked his £1500 wheels! Thankfully only a spoke or something simple. Still £1500 for a set of wheels  :o. He told the wife that he paid 750 but didn't tell her that, that was only for one wheel haha

Clov

Any one done any cycling around the Pyrenees? Heading there later this summer with the touring bike. Had it in mind to do the Tourmalet and may be few others, if any one has any good advice.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

BennyCake

Want to do a bit of cycling this summer. However I've no idea on the ideal clothing to wear. Walking into sports shops I'm just bombarded with all sorts of outfits.

Would anyone have any advice on appropriate clothes for summer (and winter) cycling? Any other tips like accessories would be helpful too.

JimStynes

Quote from: BennyCake on June 04, 2015, 09:24:52 PM
Want to do a bit of cycling this summer. However I've no idea on the ideal clothing to wear. Walking into sports shops I'm just bombarded with all sorts of outfits.

Would anyone have any advice on appropriate clothes for summer (and winter) cycling? Any other tips like accessories would be helpful too.

Shorts, jersey, baselayer, gloves, armwarmers, leg warmers, gillets, jackets, socks, overshoes, oversocks etc etc. Could go on and on. What is your budget and how many mile you doing a week?

heffo

Quote from: JimStynes on June 04, 2015, 09:37:45 PM

Shorts, jersey, baselayer, gloves, armwarmers, leg warmers, gillets, jackets, socks, overshoes, oversocks etc etc. Could go on and on. What is your budget and how many mile you doing a week?

I'd start with cheap stuff from Sportsdirect or similar, use Under armour or similar base layers, running leggings and any sports gloves.

If you get into it, then get better stuff..

BennyCake

Quote from: JimStynes on June 04, 2015, 09:37:45 PM

Haven't really budgeted. Just whatever it costs, I'll try and get it if I can. Currently doing 1 or 2 trips weekly of 20-25 miles.

JimStynes

Some good gear on here from an Irish firm too!

http://galibier.cc

For that sort of mileage I wouldnt be spending big money. The likes of this should be grand:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funkier-17-panel-active-bibshorts-ss15/rp-prod133409
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-logo-jersey/rp-prod70224
http://galibier.cc/product/d902/

Usual story, the more you spend the better the quality. But for the mileage you are doing at the minute don't go mad buying all the best italian gear.

Also, great winter jacket deal here lads
http://galibier.cc/product/colombiere-defense-training-jacket-sale/