MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 11:49:26 AM
hmmmm  - are all women pro choice?

No, nifan.
Any women I know (wife, friends wifes, relatives, work colleagues etc...) are all anti abortion.
Tbc....

hmmm

No, but I'd say a higher percentage of women than men are pro-choice.

nifan

Quote from: hmmm on July 29, 2008, 12:59:36 PM
No, but I'd say a higher percentage of women than men are pro-choice.

Any idea of these percentages?

Id have a hard time knowing the view from most people without having talked to them about it, but most I know are anti abortion, or certainly against it in most cases. But thats anecdotal so hardly any more relevent than any percentages you give.
Questioning pints as to his opinion if he was a woman is also ridiculous - as even if he was you admit your self that only a percentage of women are pro choice -

donalmac99

this is a subject where i am well and truly caught between a rock and a hard place. Whilst i do see the termination of an unborn child as effectively being murder , i am also aware of cases where it may be necessarry. This is my dilemma.

hmmm

The abortion rate for all conceptions for England and Wales is currently running at 22/23% per annum so I'm going to assume that the percentage of women who are pro choice would be a good deal higher than men.

I'm questioning Pints opinion because he will never walk in a pregnant womans shoes and he has been quite opinionated in this thread about an subject that he seems to think pro-choice take lightly.

nifan

I dont get how that figure proves anything about the number of men who are pro choice. It proves that at least 22/23% of pregnant women are but nothing more. Who knows how many are pro choice that didnt get an abortion? Who know what their partners felt of it, or how many partners wanted an abortion but the woman would not consent.

Pints is entitled to his opinion - his opinion is shared by many men and women, and opposed by many men and women.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: hmmm on July 29, 2008, 01:53:57 PM
The abortion rate for all conceptions for England and Wales is currently running at 22/23% per annum so I'm going to assume that the percentage of women who are pro choice would be a good deal higher than men.

I'm questioning Pints opinion because he will never walk in a pregnant womans shoes and he has been quite opinionated in this thread about an subject that he seems to think pro-choice take lightly.

I think it's correct to say that POG is not the only one who is being quite opinionated on this thread, why pick him out for mention!

This attitude that because a man "won't walk in a pregnant womans shoes" ergo his opinion is less then a womans bugs the sh*te outta me.

Every single one of you reading this can be thankful that your mother didn't have the option of abortion here in Ireland, and wasn't in a difficult situation when pregnant with you, because you may now not be here.

A womans situation when pregnant may seem bad, but thats not to say their circumstances wouldn't change for the better - then there may be major regrets in the future about actions taken now if "certain" options where made available.
Tbc....

Tankie

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 29, 2008, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 11:49:26 AM
hmmmm  - are all women pro choice?

No, nifan.
Any women I know (wife, friends wifes, relatives, work colleagues etc...) are all anti abortion.

I know two girls who have had abortions and they still say that it was the correct thing to do and ar very happy. i think this has to be a pro - choice decision as everyone looks at having a baby differently depending on their stage in life!
Grand Slam Saturday!

hmmm

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 29, 2008, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: hmmm on July 29, 2008, 01:53:57 PM

I think it's correct to say that POG is not the only one who is being quite opinionated on this thread, why pick him out for mention!

This attitude that because a man "won't walk in a pregnant womans shoes" ergo his opinion is less then a womans bugs the sh*te outta me.

Every single one of you reading this can be thankful that your mother didn't have the option of abortion here in Ireland, and wasn't in a difficult situation when pregnant with you, because you may now not be here.

A womans situation when pregnant may seem bad, but thats not to say their circumstances wouldn't change for the better - then there may be major regrets in the future about actions taken now if "certain" options where made available.

I'm picking him out for mention as he has been to most vocal on the last few pages.

A man telling everyone what a pregnant woman should do with her body without knowing her circumstances bugs the sh!te out of me

If my mother had had an abortion when pregnant with me, then so be it.

Maguire01

Why? If we had been aborted, we wouldn't know what we were missing, nor would we care!

pintsofguinness

hmmm

I think people who are pro-abortion are so out of a selfishness. 
I will never be pregnant however men are just as entitled to their opinions on this subject.

Personally, a child/baby would be the last thing I want - I'm 37 and I've always felt like that because I like my life the way it is, I like doing what I want when I want, I like my independence and when you have a child that changes. 
I don't think I'm any sort of saint and would actually consider myself to be quite selfish however if my better half got pregnant would I look for a way out of my responsability? Certainly not, a life is a lot more important than how I think my life should be. 

Although I'd never want to see herself going through any pain or discomfort - 9 months out of her life  is not a big deal when another life is involved (she'd agree).  My mother spent the last 3 months of her pregnancy with me lying in a hospital bed in an attempt to save my life (while she risked her own) - a vast majority of pregnancies are, thankfully, straightforward so don't give me shite about what a woman goes through in pregnancy! I'm sure a lot of what is involved is not an easy or pleasant experience but we are talking about another life!
Would you refuse to go though some ill health to give a family member a kidney or bone marrow etc to save their life?

btw, how many of you in the pro abortion camp would have the balls to tell a woman who's miscarried that it was only a bunch of cells?

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Balls. I wouldnt have known any different. The bottom line with that argument is that you cannot miss what you never had. That my friends is a simple fact.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 29, 2008, 07:28:11 PM

btw, how many of you in the pro abortion camp would have the balls to tell a woman who's miscarried that it was only a bunch of cells?

Eh - you have some valid points pints - but you are comparing apples with sheep shit here. A woman who wanted a child, and who mis-carried is not in the same emotional state as a woman who doesnt want a child and has an abortion. Even a loon could see how there is a distinction the size of the grand caynon there. Why would anyone say that to a woman who miscarried? Can you produce any scenario where a pro choice person would utter such a sentence in this situation which you presented?

Have you ever wondered if a woman has a mis-carriage and is (relatively) glad?

pintsofguinness

QuoteEh - you have some valid points pints - but you are comparing apples with sheep shit here. A woman who wanted a child, and who mis-carried is not in the same emotional state as a woman who doesnt want a child and has an abortion.
Maybe not in the same emotional state but they are in the same physical state.  If it was just a case of the woman who miscarried wanting a child she would quickly get over the miscarried baby when she falls pregnant again but this isn't the case.

QuoteCan you produce any scenario where a pro choice person would utter such a sentence in this situation which you presented?
Never, they wouldn't have the balls.

QuoteHave you ever wondered if a woman has a mis-carriage and is (relatively) glad?
I'm sure there's women who have been glad, the selfish ones.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?