Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2018, 10:24:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2018, 08:04:13 PM
I'm heading to Croatia this year Jim, you might get some decent hotels there. We are booked in a fairly nice apartment on the beach just outside Trogir.. whether it has the spa's gyms you're looking for I don't know but I hear the beaches are stunning, and good hikes around the hills, no doubt there is bike hire also

Was doing a bit of research and an option is maybe Croatia then onto Montenegro and then back to Croatia. There is a hotel in Montenegro I'd love to stay in:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g3733792-d6677752-Reviews-Regent_Porto_Montenegro-Tivat_Municipality.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=277871542

Stunning
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

galwayman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2018, 10:24:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2018, 08:04:13 PM
I'm heading to Croatia this year Jim, you might get some decent hotels there. We are booked in a fairly nice apartment on the beach just outside Trogir.. whether it has the spa's gyms you're looking for I don't know but I hear the beaches are stunning, and good hikes around the hills, no doubt there is bike hire also

Was doing a bit of research and an option is maybe Croatia then onto Montenegro and then back to Croatia. There is a hotel in Montenegro I'd love to stay in:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g3733792-d6677752-Reviews-Regent_Porto_Montenegro-Tivat_Municipality.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=277871542
Trogir is meant to be lovely as is Hvar.
Was in Dubrovnik for work recently.Nice place albeit very expensive.I had one full free day there to be a tourist which would be plenty in all honesty.
It's quite small.
Have a look at Brown Beach Hotel in Trogir.
Tip if in Zagreb - eat in Zvonimir Bobans (famous ex footballer) restaurant.The steak I had there was fabulous.

galwayman

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2018, 04:34:15 PM
Cheers everyone. We went to Vilamoura last year and to be honest I didn't really like it. I was sick of the sight of that marina by the end of it. I'm also a hotel snob and our hotel wasn't as good as we thought it would be. I don't mind going to basic hotels if we are travelling around like we do in the Alps, but if we are lying about and relaxing I like something fancy. Sadly Vegas standard hotels don't exist in Europe for the normal working man.

Also, just realised my passport is out of date in sept ffs.
Loved your recommendations for the French Alps (Annecy etc) a while back.
Have any recs for Mallorca or Ibiza by any chance?

JimStynes

Quote from: galwayman on May 10, 2018, 10:41:33 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2018, 04:34:15 PM
Cheers everyone. We went to Vilamoura last year and to be honest I didn't really like it. I was sick of the sight of that marina by the end of it. I'm also a hotel snob and our hotel wasn't as good as we thought it would be. I don't mind going to basic hotels if we are travelling around like we do in the Alps, but if we are lying about and relaxing I like something fancy. Sadly Vegas standard hotels don't exist in Europe for the normal working man.

Also, just realised my passport is out of date in sept ffs.
Loved your recommendations for the French Alps (Annecy etc) a while back.
Have any recs for Mallorca or Ibiza by any chance?

No, I haven't been to either of those places in years! Annecy is a cracking place to go and that region in general is amazing. On our doorstep too when you consider it's only a 2 hour flight away.

JimStynes

Anyone been to Sardinia before?

Ball Hopper

Do I presume no great language issues in Portugal?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: JimStynes on May 15, 2018, 10:57:09 PM
beautiful place. best beaches in europe in my opinion
a lot of rich italians decamp there for the summer so it can be pricey
hard enough to get to from the republic though

JimStynes

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 16, 2018, 08:12:39 AM
Where did you stay? Looks amazing. Looking at a few different places at the minute like Lake Garda, Nice and South of France, Tuscany. No doubt we will end up in Portrush ffs.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: JimStynes on May 16, 2018, 02:17:46 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 16, 2018, 08:12:39 AM
Where did you stay? Looks amazing. Looking at a few different places at the minute like Lake Garda, Nice and South of France, Tuscany. No doubt we will end up in Portrush ffs.

If you are not committed to Sardinia, try Corsica.....beautiful place and I think easier to get to.

JimStynes

Flights are booked to Sardinia. 17 nights in June flying into and out of Olbia. Just need to work out an itinerary and get accommodation sorted. We will no doubt do a trip to Corsica though.

tyroneman

Anyone been to Sicily before? Seems handy enough to get to from Dublin

JimStynes

Quote from: tyroneman on May 22, 2018, 08:45:26 AM
Anyone been to Sicily before? Seems handy enough to get to from Dublin

Lovely spot but some bits are ridiculously busy and over crowded, particularly when a cruise boat arrives. Like everywhere in Italy, June and September are the best times to go.

armaghniac

I was in Sicily last June and it was grand, not too hot and not too busy. I flew out with Aer Lingus to Catania and back from Palermo with O'LearyAir. Food is great and affordable, car hire is relatively expensive.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Feckitt

Did any of you try the Godfather tour?

Avondhu star

Quote from: Feckitt on May 22, 2018, 02:34:27 PM
Did any of you try the Godfather tour?
"Some day. and that day may never come I may call  on you to do a favour for me"
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you