Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 02:53:37 PM
Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 23, 2018, 02:41:08 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 01:45:39 PM
I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?

How many miles a week did you/are you averaging? How many times a week are you training?

I'm doing about 15 mile per week. Training about 3 -4 times

Gym/Swim maybe once a week.
I doubt 15 miles a week is enough. Ballinaman or imtommygun could probably advise better but I would think you need a higher weekly milage than that. Also not just ve doing intervals. Do longer slower runs and tempo runs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

WT4E

Thanks for the advice. For example this is my week this week

M: Nothing
T: intervals - 2m
W: Run - 6m (fast)
T: Run - 7m (medium)
F: intervals - 2m
S: park run - 3m (Want to see where time is at as haven't done one in a while)
S: nothing

So would be up to 20 this week - what should i aim for?

Ty4Sam

WT4E...there is your problem right there. You need to up your mileage. The amount of days you are training is spot on just need to expand those out, for example, your Tuesday/Friday intervals, do 2 mile warm up nice and slow and finished with 2 mile cool down, that will give you 8 additional miles over the week. You are also doing too many 'quality days', a very common mistake. Always follow a tough session with an easy day so for example on a Wednesday, 6 mile is fine but run it easy rather than fast. Not sure if its just missing this week because of your parkrun but your bread and butter is the long run. To be running sub 20 you need to be running 12/13/14 miles on your long run, usually at the weekend. Slowly increase your weekly mileage to around 35/40 and you'll soon be running mid 19's thinking about how to get into the 18's.
Simple typical week to reach 40 mile.
M - Rest
T - 2 Mile w/u - Session (interval, hills, tempo) - 2 mile c/d
W - 6 Mile easy
T - 2 Mile w/u - Session (interval, hills, tempo, different to Tues) - 2 mile c/d
F - Rest
S - 12 mile easy
S - 6 mile easy

imtommygunn

Wt4e you need more slow miles to help your cardio. I know that sounds odd as you are running a bit but the best way to increase fitness is slow miles.

Not every run needs to be a session. I don't think a run at medium pace is massively beneficial. Fast only really beneficial if it is controlled like a tempo run.

What ty4sam has is a decent schedule.

A good rule is for every hard session try and do an easy run too.

Miles are not the be all and end all either - focus in the training helps.

WT4E

Thanks for the advice - i will give that programme a try. what would you consider slow miles out of interest?

Will keep you updated for the craic.

ballinaman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 23, 2018, 02:15:45 PM
I've tried and failed in the past to get sub 20 for 5k. Best time was 20.17 over a year ago

I've decided to try again and have been doing some speed work as well as longer runs but my question was what should I be aiming for on repeat runs of 800m in terms of time.

I have been doing 8 x 400m recently and my speed is between 1.28 - 1.20 with 40sec break between.

Any tips?
muscle endurance is a big thing

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K
Don't know about that. I'd forgo a gym session in favor of running if it's an either or...

ballinaman

Quote from: WT4E on March 23, 2018, 08:34:35 PM
Thanks for the advice - i will give that programme a try. what would you consider slow miles out of interest?

Will keep you updated for the craic.
6.25 per mile for 19.59 for the 5k.....so at least 90 seconds slower than race pace for your easy miles...8 min mile...roughly !

imtommygunn

Quote from: ballinaman on March 23, 2018, 08:40:34 PM

Any tips?

you need to do some weight training to allow the legs sustain a higher pace over the whole 5K
Don't know about that. I'd forgo a gym session in favor of running if it's an either or...

Hilly runs good for this or hill reps. Yeah 8 minute miles or even a bit slower.

manfromdelmonte

Any tips?

you can do lunges (forward or back - alternate), split squats,  single leg deadlifts, side lunges, single leg bridging etc
single leg work is very good for improving imbalances in the lower body and also activating the glutes more
look into glute band exercises

Mayo4Sam

Ballinaman take a bow that was some serious running at the weekend, a PB for 10k?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

And winner!

Obviously flying based on strava training. Well done.

ballinaman

Sound lads, ya PB by 20 seconds...bitchy enough course so happy out. Going to stick to the 5k/10ks for the next while. One more 10km race this Saturday and then will have a deload week and start on another 10-12 week training cycle...
Short stuff is good craic and you're not dusht for the day after it! Walking sideways up the stairs during marathon training is no craic!

ballinaman

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 26, 2018, 12:18:51 AM

Any tips?

you can do lunges (forward or back - alternate), split squats,  single leg deadlifts, side lunges, single leg bridging etc
single leg work is very good for improving imbalances in the lower body and also activating the glutes more
look into glute band exercises
Full disclosure, I've a fair idea of the rationale behind strength training and distance running. Personal opinion , a person would get better bang for their buck by running instead of a gym seession...if they want to improve their running. If they have the ability to do both....fire away absolutely.

omagh_gael

Hi Guys, I'm looking  bit of advice. I have been training for the Omagh half marathon (7th April) over the past number of months and have been tipping along nicely. However, I was out training with local GAA club on Sunday morning and tweaked my lower hamstring (feels slightly tender where it meets the knee). I'm not really in pain nor is there any bruising etc around the injury, however, I can feel a bit of tightness.

Question is, do I stand a chance of running half marathon in two weeks? I know this is a difficult question to answer as I don't know the full extent of what I have actually done. Going to see about getting an apt with a physio tomorrow. Would pain relief or anti-inflamatories help a muscle injury like this to get me through the race?

ballinaman

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 26, 2018, 02:27:35 PM
Hi Guys, I'm looking  bit of advice. I have been training for the Omagh half marathon (7th April) over the past number of months and have been tipping along nicely. However, I was out training with local GAA club on Sunday morning and tweaked my lower hamstring (feels slightly tender where it meets the knee). I'm not really in pain nor is there any bruising etc around the injury, however, I can feel a bit of tightness.

Question is, do I stand a chance of running half marathon in two weeks? I know this is a difficult question to answer
as I don't know the full extent of what I have actually done. Going to see about getting an apt with a physio tomorrow. Would pain relief or anti-inflamatories help a muscle injury like this to get me through the race?
You'll be sound. Don't take anti inflams for a muscle injury. See your physiotherapist and they'll look after you. Biceps femoris ( likely muscle injured )is only particularly active in high speed running so you'll be sound ..