Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Time to see the likes of Ronan O'Neill to step up to the mark. Someone like Jonny Lafferty could be given a chance to prove his panel worth.

nrico2006

Quote from: CD on November 28, 2013, 11:34:25 AM
Tyrone will be without a number of established attackers for the McKenna Cup. Connor McAliskey has a dislocated shoulder, while Stephen O'Neill is likely to sit out the pre-season competition.
Carrickmore pair Mark Donnelly and Martin Penrose may also be given an extended break. (and Kyle Coney until march)

Who is going to lead the Tyrone attack in 2014 - going to be some new faces around!

Our big problem is our forward line, if you take those players you have mentioned out their replacements won't have a huge task to replace their scores - think between SON, McAliskey, Penrose, Coney and Mark Donnelly they scored 16 points from play which is a poor return considering the number of games played last summer.  Think Penrose only scored a point from play. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Opportunities there hopefully in the early months for potential newcomers, likes of Daniel McNulty, Richie Donnelly, Conan Grugan <mugsy reckons Grugan should have been on the starting 15 last season due to his performances in the inhouse games he attended last April & May> Tommy Canavan, Shay McGuigan...

If some fringe players like Lafferty & McNiece havnt made an impact by now its hard to see it happening at all at this level.

We probably don't have much longer to wait before the new panel is announced. Hope they don't botch it the way they did last year.

Man Marker

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 28, 2013, 11:53:22 AM
Tyrone will be without a number of established attackers for the McKenna Cup. Connor McAliskey has a dislocated shoulder, while Stephen O'Neill is likely to sit out the pre-season competition.
Carrickmore pair Mark Donnelly and Martin Penrose may also be given an extended break. (and Kyle Coney until march)

Who is going to lead the Tyrone attack in 2014 - going to be some new faces around!

Our big problem is our forward line, if you take those players you have mentioned out their replacements won't have a huge task to replace their scores - think between SON, McAliskey, Penrose, Coney and Mark Donnelly they scored 16 points from play which is a poor return considering the number of games played last summer.  Think Penrose only scored a point from play.

Its not our forwards are the problem, its our defensive system, plus a more serious problem of poor attacking wing half backs, think of Davy and Jordan, raiding counter attack runs creating and taking scores, something we are missing. In summary quality attacking wing half backs and a less defensive formation

CD

Quote from: Man Marker on November 28, 2013, 01:07:23 PM

Its not our forwards are the problem, its our defensive system, plus a more serious problem of poor attacking wing half backs, think of Davy and Jordan, raiding counter attack runs creating and taking scores, something we are missing. In summary quality attacking wing half backs and a less defensive formation

Not sure if it's the defensive system as such - more the transition from defence to attack. In our own half Big Joe seems to be the player we always work the ball to and Peter Harte in the midfield third. Sometimes last year it was too predictable and too slow. I'd like to see Ciaran McKinley given a Davy Harte style role and allowed to bomb up and down the wing - played some excellent football in attack for Errigal this year.  However, given the number of forwards missing I'd say Mickey will deploy him at half forward early this year.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

nrico2006

Our defense could do with improvement (require a man marker or two) but as a unit they did well last year when you look at the scores conceded.  The big problem we have is definitely in our forward line where we seem to have no marquee forwards and no goal threat at all.  How many goals did Tyrone score last year from play? 

Quote from: God14 on November 28, 2013, 12:26:41 PM
Opportunities there hopefully in the early months for potential newcomers, likes of Daniel McNulty, Richie Donnelly, Conan Grugan <mugsy reckons Grugan should have been on the starting 15 last season due to his performances in the inhouse games he attended last April & May> Tommy Canavan, Shay McGuigan...

If some fringe players like Lafferty & McNiece havnt made an impact by now its hard to see it happening at all at this level.

We probably don't have much longer to wait before the new panel is announced. Hope they don't botch it the way they did last year.

Of all the players mentioned the player that for me is the deadliest is Lafferty.  I'm sure a lot of people on here have seen him play for his club this year or last and if you have then you will see a player that is untouchable when on form.  The problem he is having is that getting a few run out's here and there are doing nothing for his confidence at county level.  He is passing the ball a lot when he gets it which is the oppositie of what he normally does with his club.  Obviously there has to be a balancing act as players are usually expected to do more for their clubs while also being expected not to eat the ball all the time at county, but if the balance can be found with Lafferty and if he gets 3 or 4 full games then we have a gem on our hands.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CD

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 28, 2013, 01:22:34 PM

Our defense could do with improvement (require a man marker or two) but as a unit they did well last year when you look at the scores conceded.  The big problem we have is definitely in our forward line where we seem to have no marquee forwards and no goal threat at all.  How many goals did Tyrone score last year from play? 

Quote from: God14 on November 28, 2013, 12:26:41 PM

Of all the players mentioned the player that for me is the deadliest is Lafferty.  I'm sure a lot of people on here have seen him play for his club this year or last and if you have then you will see a player that is untouchable when on form.  The problem he is having is that getting a few run out's here and there are doing nothing for his confidence at county level.  He is passing the ball a lot when he gets it which is the oppositie of what he normally does with his club.  Obviously there has to be a balancing act as players are usually expected to do more for their clubs while also being expected not to eat the ball all the time at county, but if the balance can be found with Lafferty and if he gets 3 or 4 full games then we have a gem on our hands.

I must confess nrico that I've never seen him play Club football but I have heard that he is on the Tyrone Panel on merit based on his performances. I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen from him playing for Tyrone however - maybe the absences will be an opportunity for him to get a few games under his belt and show us what he can do.

Man Marker

Must say that PJ Lavery was easily the best attacking wing half I saw in Tyrone club football the year, he destroyed Ciaran Mc Ginley in the championship

CD

Quote from: Man Marker on November 28, 2013, 03:20:15 PM
Must say that PJ Lavery was easily the best attacking wing half I saw in Tyrone club football the year, he destroyed Ciaran Mc Ginley in the championship

Aye but McGinley never played wing half back - he was a half forward in the three games I saw him play for his club this year and was a marked man in all three games and still impressed.

Redhand Santa

I'd be happy if Mickey gave the older boys a rest for the first few months of the year. Would ensure they're refreshed come championship time and allow the younger boys to gain experience in the team. I actually think that we'd still compete will in the league. Maybe a team like this:
Morgan
McKenna
McBride
McCarron (or McNamee or even a newcomer though can't think of too many potentials)
Harte
McNabb
McGinley
C Cavanagh
Clarke
Grugan
Shay McGuigan or R Mulgrew
Lafferty
McCurry
Mattie D
R O'Neill

Really hoping Ronan O'Neill can push on this year. Last year was about getting over the injury, now hopefully he can deliver on the promise. There was a lot of boys brought into the panel last year. Kane and Gallagher etc - will be interesting to see how they get on this year with an extra year behind them at the level.

Does anyone know if Justy McMahon is currently fit? Given his injury record its hard to know what to do with him. Would be great if he could have an injury free season and get back to his best, though as the years go on it just looks less likely. Coney is another player who has struggled year after year with injuries. As is McNabb.

sam03/05

PJ Lavery surely is an absolute must for the Tyrone squad. The best attacking wing back in the county by a mile.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: sam03/05 on November 28, 2013, 09:12:45 PM
PJ Lavery surely is an absolute must for the Tyrone squad. The best attacking wing back in the county by a mile.

Would there not be a concern over his size? Like how would he do against a physically strong half forward? Certainly would have no problem with him getting a try.

LeoMc

Are there any standout man markers about, I can't think of any. We need a defence we can rely on to give the rest of the team the confidence to attack.
Give the like of McBride, McKenna and Lafferty a run at it and the chance to establish themselves. Give the likes of Ronan ONeill and Mulgrew another chance and bring in only 2-3 new players.

Opening it out to too many players gives no one a chance.

hugh the root

Are we ever going to see Kyle Coney play any football.I will digest O rourkes,Spillanes and Brollys underpants if this man ever kicks Tyrone to an All Ireland.I fear for him being remembered as the man with the endless injuries.Hope this is the incentive that drove super Dooher to the captains table.

nrico2006

Quote from: LeoMc on November 28, 2013, 10:10:30 PM
Are there any standout man markers about, I can't think of any. We need a defence we can rely on to give the rest of the team the confidence to attack.
Give the like of McBride, McKenna and Lafferty a run at it and the chance to establish themselves. Give the likes of Ronan ONeill and Mulgrew another chance and bring in only 2-3 new players.

Opening it out to too many players gives no one a chance.

Some good calls there.  Was thinking about Mulgrew the other day and would be hoping that he could get a few games.  At this level its all about letting players get comfortable at the level and that can only be achieved by giving them games.  McBride is another player who would be a really good option for full back or half back, very stong and athletic.