Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy90

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 12, 2012, 10:36:41 AM
If you were to follow the arguments of the sheepophiles on here and pay attention to their bleating, Dublin would now be split fourways.
Their logic is that the GAA should be forced to follow the lead of political carpetbaggers and cut its cloth according to their measure. (Logic from a sheepshaggist-that's an oxymoron!)

Once upon a time, the local landlord Johneen Dillon decided to put profit before principle and had his entire estate be included in Roscommon for rateable purposes. 

Ballagh, which has been part of Mayo since the Composition of Connaught was arbitrarily cut adrift from the mother ship and lumped in with that collection of misfits and howse-yer-fathers known as Roscommon.
Some might go as far as to say that Ballagh was in Mayo since Fionn MacCumhail played for the u14s. However, Johneen (may the devil keep his personal furnace forever stacked up) did a deal with his pals in high places and the foul deed was done.
While the locals' were obliged to lower their standard of living, they held on to their heritage. 
The Ballagh boys played in Mayo, play in Mayo and will play in Mayo to the end of time.
Down the years since its formation, the local club has had dozens of outstanding players who wore their beloved red and green with pride and passion. I imagine that more All Stars played for Ballagh than any other club in the county. 
To our everlasting regret, the town of Loughglynn , since it had no club at that time, was not so lucky. Two of the finest Mayo footballers of all time, the Earley brothers, had to play for the invaders.

God alone knows what might have been.....

Get it right. Gorthaganny is in Ros. Anyway their hair was the wrong colour to play for the collaberators.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 12, 2012, 12:18:29 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 12, 2012, 10:36:41 AM
If you were to follow the arguments of the sheepophiles on here and pay attention to their bleating, Dublin would now be split fourways.
Their logic is that the GAA should be forced to follow the lead of political carpetbaggers and cut its cloth according to their measure. (Logic from a sheepshaggist-that's an oxymoron!)

Once upon a time, the local landlord Johneen Dillon decided to put profit before principle and had his entire estate be included in Roscommon for rateable purposes. 

Ballagh, which has been part of Mayo since the Composition of Connaught was arbitrarily cut adrift from the mother ship and lumped in with that collection of misfits and howse-yer-fathers known as Roscommon.
Some might go as far as to say that Ballagh was in Mayo since Fionn MacCumhail played for the u14s. However, Johneen (may the devil keep his personal furnace forever stacked up) did a deal with his pals in high places and the foul deed was done.
While the locals' were obliged to lower their standard of living, they held on to their heritage. 
The Ballagh boys played in Mayo, play in Mayo and will play in Mayo to the end of time.
Down the years since its formation, the local club has had dozens of outstanding players who wore their beloved red and green with pride and passion. I imagine that more All Stars played for Ballagh than any other club in the county. 
To our everlasting regret, the town of Loughglynn , since it had no club at that time, was not so lucky. Two of the finest Mayo footballers of all time, the Earley brothers, had to play for the invaders.

God alone knows what might have been.....

Get it right. Gorthaganny is in Ros. Anyway their hair was the wrong colour to play for the collaberators.

Sorry, chief but  I did  got it right.
Gortaganny was in Mayo until it was annexed by the land grabbers.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ziggy90

Oh,I suppose Loughglynn is in Mayo as well?  When I said get it right I meant the word I highlighted.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 12, 2012, 12:44:38 PM
Oh,I suppose Loughglynn is in Mayo as well?

Why you suppose is your business. What I know is mine. ;D

ziggy90

Is Gorthaganny in Roscommon? Is Gorthaganny in the Parish of Loughglynn? Is Loughglynn in Roscommon?

Jinxy

Keep it up Lar.  ;)
Pull a few more Tyrone lads in here and we'll turn it into a hundred pager.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

The Earley brothers were born in Mayo. That's fact.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ziggy90

I don't see anyone denying that. Why did they play for Ros then? Btw was the last man from Ballagh club to win an AI winners football medal not a Roscommon man?

ziggy90

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 12, 2012, 01:14:06 PM
Keep it up Lar.  ;)
Pull a few more Tyrone lads in here and we'll turn it into a hundred pager.

Shhhh! Say nothin'.
Just give 'em a bit of rope to hang themselves.  ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 12, 2012, 12:49:26 PM
Is Gorthaganny in Roscommon? Is Gorthaganny in the Parish of Loughglynn? Is Loughglynn in Roscommon?

Hah?
Jaysus, lad you do seem to have a biteen  of a fever or something.
Slow down, one question at a time if you please.

ziggy90

spuds

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 12, 2012, 01:26:07 PM
I don't see anyone denying that. Why did they play for Ros then? Btw was the last man from Ballagh club to win an AI winners football medal not a Roscommon man?
[/b]

Mayo 2006 all Ireland under 21 champions
K O'Malley; T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea, B Moran; A Campbell, J Dillon (Ballaghaderreen), A Kilcoyne; M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy. Subs - S Ryder, K Costello, E Varley.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2012, 01:20:59 PM
The Earley brothers were born in Mayo. That's fact.

Dermot was born in Castlebar but by the time Paul was born his father, Peadar, had long since moved to Gorthaganny to work as the local school's principal. Trust me, I know these things a little better than you.

The 'Gorthaganny was in Mayo' is just mindless wind-up drivel, too. Mixing up Gorthaganny and Loughglynn shows a lack of knowledge of the area because if anything if we'd be talking about Michael Galavey's in Ballinlough, not Eire Og in Loughglynn. Gorthaganny is a sub-division of Loughglynn parish and the entire parish has always been in Roscommon - even though Ballagh (and Ballyhaunis for that matter) is nearer for most places in the parish, the postal address has always been in Castlerea.

neilthemac

Children from Ballagh do all their community games sports in Roscommon
so for gaelic football, handball, soccer, athletics, art, draughts, swimming etc etc they have to compete in their proper county that they actually live in - ie Roscommon
their parents vote in Roscommon elections.
the businesses in the town pay rates to Ros county council
their addresses are Co Roscommon (or Sligo!!)

then for some strange reason they play their GAA in Mayo - football and handball.

I always find it great to see the lads from Ballagh that represent Mayo in handball, standing at Roscommon matches proudly wearing the primrose and blue

I think Ballagh club players should be given the option to declare for either county. It would solve a lot of problems, cut down on a lot of annimosity between families and leave the club in a much stronger position (ie they could have more county players)