Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2018, 01:01:31 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 30, 2018, 12:14:21 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2018, 11:36:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 29, 2018, 11:16:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2018, 07:51:26 PM
Surely this latest Mayo shenanigan opens the way for Roscommon to dominate Connacht for the next decade.

With the Mayo shenanigans I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Galway now go on to repeat Mayo's 5 in a row of 2015 and those that are writing off Galway for losing this years All Ireland semi final by 9 points should remember that Mayo also lost AIl Ireland semi final by 9 points in 2011.

Hold on. Mayo lost by 9 points to Kerry after taking out AI champions. That was a year after losing to Sligo and Longford under a dysfunctional and archaic administration. No comparison. Galway have been in a stable management structure for years now and if they have made some progress ( arguably not much), they haven't exactly exploded onto the stage. I could argue that they might be already in a transition crisis themselves. I see little future for likes of Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw, Conroy. Some of the newer lads are not good enough. Nice names and all but nothing special.

The AI champions of 2010 that reached what one AI semi final since then and are now established Div 2 mid table team? To reach the semi final this summer Galway took out Kerry don't forget.

The Mayo performance in London 2011 was probably worse than the performances v Longford,Sligo and Mayo were less than convincing against a very average Galway or Roscommon who went into that championship having played their league football in Div 4.

Galway have gone from losing to Antrim and Sligo not so long ago in the championship to now reaching AI final semi final and NFL Div one final and thats good progress. Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw will be replaced by better defenders the returning Liam Silke for example. Their team is mostly young and learning and have plenty of good players to come through.

Sure. I appreciate that. My point is that Galway's improvement has been little steps in the grand scheme of things. They also had to resort to a negative game plan to make any progress at all. I wouldn't put too much value on that Kerry win. Probably the worst Kerry team in living memory.
Horan got a team from ashes to an AI in 2 years when there were good teams about. Years of team building is passé. You don't know if there are better players coming through until they play against the big boys.  Managers have a short enough shelf life. I suspect that Kevin Walsh has probably come to the end of his curve.

Wasn't a whole lot of difference between Kerry this summer and Cork 2011 was my point and Kerry will improve from now on Cork fell back badly after their AI win in 2010. Do you think the likes of O'Donnell,Bradshaw have stood out much against the big boys?

Mayo had won a Connacht championship in 2009 and was established Div one team when Horan took them on they were Div one finalist in 2010.  If Kevin Walsh has come to end of his curve he'll have left Galway in a far better position from there were before he arrived. Dublin included football today is built on a lot of negative football and what Walsh has brought in is much needed organisation and platform to build and progress further.   

maigheo

Quote from: larryin89 on August 30, 2018, 01:21:57 AM
We had lost to Sligo too , we were a shambles . Horan turned fringe/average players into all stars , household names .  He put a steel into Mayo that was never evident in my lifetime . They are his babies
Would agree with all that and ignore Syferus for obvious reasons

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on August 30, 2018, 01:21:57 AM
We had lost to Sligo too , we were a shambles . Horan turned fringe/average players into all stars , household names .  He put a steel into Mayo that was never evident in my lifetime . They are his babies

Most of the players he inherited were babes as seniors who were only likely to get better no matter what. Only really lads like Boyle or Cunniffe could I point to as bolters in Horan's reign that were close to write-offs. In fact he was pretty horrendous at developing new players who weren't there at the start of his reign. By 2014 Mayo were already crying out for some new bodies but he didn't trust himself to develop them or to take the field at all in many cases. Evan Regan is unlikely to be enamoured by rumours of his return and he's probably the best underage forward Mayo produced the last ten years or so. Y'know, the position that Mayo have continually failed in.

Mayo were losing AIs in ridiculous manners before the Cap arrived, and they were losing them in ridiculous ways after he left too. Hard as it is to hear, he turned out to be another brick in the same wall rather than the messiah some in Mayo still see him as.

Second comings rarely go well.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 30, 2018, 01:27:02 AM
Surely this latest Mayo shenanigan opens the way for Roscommon to dominate Connacht for the next decade.

With the Mayo shenanigans I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Galway now go on to repeat Mayo's 5 in a row of 2015 and those that are writing off Galway for losing this years All Ireland semi final by 9 points should remember that Mayo also lost AIl Ireland semi final by 9 points in 2011.

Hold on. Mayo lost by 9 points to Kerry after taking out AI champions. That was a year after losing to Sligo and Longford under a dysfunctional and archaic administration. No comparison. Galway have been in a stable management structure for years now and if they have made some progress ( arguably not much), they haven't exactly exploded onto the stage. I could argue that they might be already in a transition crisis themselves. I see little future for likes of Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw, Conroy. Some of the newer lads are not good enough. Nice names and all but nothing special.

The AI champions of 2010 that reached what one AI semi final since then and are now established Div 2 mid table team? To reach the semi final this summer Galway took out Kerry don't forget.

The Mayo performance in London 2011 was probably worse than the performances v Longford,Sligo and Mayo were less than convincing against a very average Galway or Roscommon who went into that championship having played their league football in Div 4.

Galway have gone from losing to Antrim and Sligo not so long ago in the championship to now reaching AI final semi final and NFL Div one final and thats good progress. Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw will be replaced by better defenders the returning Liam Silke for example. Their team is mostly young and learning and have plenty of good players to come through.

Sure. I appreciate that. My point is that Galway's improvement has been little steps in the grand scheme of things. They also had to resort to a negative game plan to make any progress at all. I wouldn't put too much value on that Kerry win. Probably the worst Kerry team in living memory.
Horan got a team from ashes to an AI in 2 years when there were good teams about. Years of team building is passé. You don't know if there are better players coming through until they play against the big boys.  Managers have a short enough shelf life. I suspect that Kevin Walsh has probably come to the end of his curve.

Wasn't a whole lot of difference between Kerry this summer and Cork 2011 was my point and Kerry will improve from now on Cork fell back badly after their AI win in 2010. Do you think the likes of O'Donnell,Bradshaw have stood out much against the big boys?

Mayo had won a Connacht championship in 2009 and was established Div one team when Horan took them on they were Div one finalist in 2010.  If Kevin Walsh has come to end of his curve he'll have left Galway in a far better position from there were before he arrived. Dublin included football today is built on a lot of negative football and what Walsh has brought in is much needed organisation and platform to build and progress further.

I don't think Galway were ever badly organised. Not so long ago Galway had Joe Kernan. I cant imagine his teams not 'organised'. Or any of the managers since.  My point is that progress needs to be fast and explosive. Mayo nearly did that.
While others are tweaking and developing likes of Dublin are disappearing over the horizon at a rate of knots.

maigheo

Jaysus Syf will you stop bleating on about Evan Regan who is just not county standard If I recall you were saying the same thing back in 2013 after Horan dropped him from the panel and I suspect his father being from Roscommon is the only reason you rate him

moysider

Anyway it looks like Horan at this stage. If so, best of luck to him. He deserves another shot, if he wants it but, to paraphrase F Scott Fitzgerald;

' there are no second acts in Mayo managers' lives'

But hey, don't mind me. I've always been a glass half empty one.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2018, 01:38:48 AM

I don't think Galway were ever badly organised. Not so long ago Galway had Joe Kernan. I cant imagine his teams not 'organised'. Or any of the managers since.  My point is that progress needs to be fast and explosive. Mayo nearly did that.
While others are tweaking and developing likes of Dublin are disappearing over the horizon at a rate of knots.

Don't have to imagine it was the case. Some big named managers that were well looked after by Galways county board but their sides was poorly organised and a lot of their players weren't fit or strong enough to make any impact at senior championship level. Progress is progress and we'll see where Galway's progress from this year will take them now in the years ahead.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2018, 01:15:24 AM

Horan had a team that won a Connacht in 2009 and had been in D1 for more than a decade when he took over. There's some serious myth-making surrounding that lad. Sure, ye lost to Longford but to pretend that tells the whole picture would be incredibly disingenuous.

The years under O'Mahony were a total waste. Six or seven changes for every game, nobody knew what was going on.

mayoman dan

Will be dissapointed if its Horan.Tactically still living in the stone age and was caught badly on thr line in several big games.He will get a response from the players but it will be another glorious failure

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 30, 2018, 02:06:23 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2018, 01:38:48 AM

Don't have to imagine it was the case. Some big named managers that were well looked after by Galways county board but their sides was poorly organised and a lot of their players weren't fit or strong enough to make any impact at senior championship level. Progress is progress and we'll see where Galway's progress from this year will take them now in the years ahead.

Extremely unlikely that anyone will do a 5 in a row in Connacht anytime soon again, the standard of competition has definitely improved in the province.
Not really a surprise that Horan is thinking of coming back, after the break this summer from the sustained campaigning of 2016 and 2017 he probably thinks that there is one kick left in this Mayo team to try and win the All Ireland next year, players on the bubble of retirement will certainly stay on if Horan is appointed I think.

No offence moysider but after reading that bit in bold I honestly couldn't take any opinion you have on Galway seriously, we were a poorly organised shambles for years under multiple managers including Kernan. Kevin Walsh has brought it on a certain amount, that said Galway clearly still have many issues to rectify but this thread topic isn't the place to worry about them.

Manning18

Which ones exactly?

Rossfan

I see Horan downplaying his alleged forthcoming appointment.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on August 30, 2018, 11:00:02 AM

Which ones exactly?

Stephen Coen springs to mind.

JoG2

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2018, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on August 30, 2018, 11:00:02 AM

Which ones exactly?

Stephen Coen springs to mind.

;D