Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfun

Quote from: rrhf on May 24, 2016, 01:18:15 PM
I have to admit the way the academy is run I actually think given time it will strengthen the relationship between club and county.

Hope you are right rrhf but without wanting to publicly dis my own club they pay no heed whatsoever in encouraging young lads to attend these academies or give little acknowledgement to those who do.

redhandefender

Quote from: winghalfun on May 26, 2016, 04:20:49 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 24, 2016, 01:18:15 PM
I have to admit the way the academy is run I actually think given time it will strengthen the relationship between club and county.

Hope you are right rrhf but without wanting to publicly dis my own club they pay no heed whatsoever in encouraging young lads to attend these academies or give little acknowledgement to those who do.

lol, well then how can you win? Just give up underage county development and concentrate on the clubs!

All they can do is try

Keyboard Warrior

I read Jim McGuinness' article in the Irish Times yesterday with great interest:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-mcguinness-the-five-game-plans-needed-to-beat-dublin-1.2674747

To sum up he reckons that teams who aspire to beat Dublin should employ two 'big men' at full forward with a fast, accurate player looping around them. He goes on to mention that Tyrone don't have any and will need to think of something alternative. But is he right? Are there any players that posters think could maybe do a job in full forward against a relatively small Dublin full back line? (Richy Donnelly came to mind for me)

blewuporstuffed

Big McNulty i suppose could play that roll.
Sean Cav obviously.
Mattie has played at FF before for Tyrone to good effect, but i would be amazed if he was used there again.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

redhandefender

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on June 08, 2016, 02:15:57 PM
I read Jim McGuinness' article in the Irish Times yesterday with great interest:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/jim-mcguinness-the-five-game-plans-needed-to-beat-dublin-1.2674747

To sum up he reckons that teams who aspire to beat Dublin should employ two 'big men' at full forward with a fast, accurate player looping around them. He goes on to mention that Tyrone don't have any and will need to think of something alternative. But is he right? Are there any players that posters think could maybe do a job in full forward against a relatively small Dublin full back line? (Richy Donnelly came to mind for me)

Stick Big Joe in there beside mc shane

sambostar

Yes, read that article too & can think of plenty of options Tyrone could try in there - Sean obviously is there already. U could throw in McShane or Matty/Richie. I still remember Matty & McCurry destroying Mayo in Omagh as a 2-man FF line in a league game a few years back. Matty also had ROC on toast in the drawn league game at Croker 2 seasons ago. He'd be my choice as he has great feet as well as the strength. You would probably only do it for say 15-20min periods as you need Matty out the pitch too, but definitely still an option

Il Bomber Destro

McShane and Niall McKenna are two other options.

skeog

dont think its that simple imo niall mc kenna hasnt played because of injuries

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: skeog on June 08, 2016, 10:58:58 PM
dont think its that simple imo niall mc kenna hasnt played because of injuries

I'm hoping he can be our secret weapon, really think he's looked like fulfilling some of that potential in the past two years, he's just been very unlucky with the timing of his injuries. Mickie has never been afraid to make some big and unexpected calls and if McKenna is going well at training I think he may get his chance.

redzone

Agreed. The only way we will win any game is by going by mickys plan, not jimmys. dublin are vulnerable when u run at them in numbers, as Laois showed in the second half. Jimmy said u need a five game plan well we have been practicing 11+game plan so far this year

Fuzzman

I know it's only natural but I don't like all this talk about are Tyrone in with a good shout to beat Dublin.
We need to stay focused on Ulster and getting to an Ulster final.
Should we beat Cavan, then it's a HUGE game v Donegal/Fermanagh or Monaghan who we've struggled with in recent years. Should we get to the final that will be a real test of does this team have what it takes before we can be thinking of Dublin.

Any word on young Bradley? Will he be back for the Cavan game?
I'd love to see more of McNulty in games. He seems to do well when he comes on.

Dire Ear

I agree Fuzzman, Tyrone look speedy and fit ,  but really, are they as good as Dublin or Kerry , even Mayo or Monaghan ??  Too soon to be talking about Sam for this year , me thinks..........Need luck with no injuries and, more importantly , referees

GaelTheGael

Bar injury i cant see any change for the cavan game. If Bradley doesn't make it I would think Ronan McNabb will come back into the team and Peter Harte will move to the half forward line.
I agree that Tyrone should be looking no further ahead than the 17th of July and Donegal or Monaghan. Be the first test of this tyrone team and how they perform on that day will give us a better idea of our position relative to Kerry, Mayo and Dublin.

omagh_gael

McNulty's role looks like it'll be for last quarter barnstorming runs through the middle. He makes some ground when he gets a head of steam built up. I notice some people earmarked him as a possibility for a big man in FF, however, that role is radically different to his runs from deep. Has he played the FF role for Dungannon on occasions? Catching, turning and beating a FB is not an easy skill to pull off.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 09, 2016, 01:19:09 PM
McNulty's role looks like it'll be for last quarter barnstorming runs through the middle. He makes some ground when he gets a head of steam built up. I notice some people earmarked him as a possibility for a big man in FF, however, that role is radically different to his runs from deep. Has he played the FF role for Dungannon on occasions? Catching, turning and beating a FB is not an easy skill to pull off.
I would be very surprised if he has when they have Patrick Quinn who already does this role for them.