GPS Apps for driving?

Started by bennydorano, June 29, 2016, 04:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Excuse my ignorance but is there an App available to download to a phone that could do the job of a Tom Tom / Garmin? Heading to continent and not sure If hire car has one tbh.

lfdown2

here maps do one - available off line so doesn't use your data

Boycey

Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 04:24:58 PM
Excuse my ignorance but is there an App available to download to a phone that could do the job of a Tom Tom / Garmin? Heading to continent and not sure If hire car has one tbh.

google maps or apple maps if you have an iPhone will be good enough. Google maps is miles superior in my opinion.

bennydorano

Any that speak the directions??

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 04:57:08 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 04:49:21 PM

Google Maps.
Not seeing how it tells you the step by step directions?

bennydorano

Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 05:14:30 PM

Waze (free)

https://www.waze.com
Have u used it before? I'm for France, the interactive bit could be difficult.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 05:25:47 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 04:57:08 PM

Google Maps.
Not seeing how it tells you the step by step directions?

Get directions and then press the white arrow on blue button and the bottom of the map, above the panel with the time, and speech should commence.

This can be piped into the car speakers if your rented yoke has bluetooth.
Download the Google maps in advance on wifi and you'll not need data, or will use little.

bennydorano

Cheers.

Not getting that blue circle with white arrow to appear though, is that an iphone thing? I'm on a Samsung.

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 05:54:19 PM
Cheers.

Not getting that blue circle with white arrow to appear though, is that an iphone thing? I'm on a Samsung.

No, I am using Android.
On my phone the blue circle with white arrow is there for car, pedestrian or cycle, but not for public transport.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 05:28:52 PM

Waze (free)

I use it all the time in Ireland and it works better in the States where there are way more users contributing.

Never used it on the continent myself, but it looks like it was banned in France as it warned drivers about speed cameras, but they have been replaced so it is legal in France again:

http://www.amazon.com/Does-Waze-work-in-Europe/forum/Fx118Z6X9ABR7M8/Tx36Y9VY1L62UIU/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B009ZFPQOQ

Feb 22, 2016 9:42:58 AM PST

I just googled it, and it was banned in 2012 because of the warning of traffic cams. But they replaced that with "slow down" areas, and it is now legal in France. We are going in May, and I have put different French cities into Waze as favorites. I'm going on the assumption that it will work while we are there.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 07:15:11 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 29, 2016, 05:28:52 PM

Waze (free)

I use it all the time in Ireland and it works better in the States where there are way more users contributing.

Never used it on the continent myself, but it looks like it was banned in France as it warned drivers about speed cameras, but they have been replaced so it is legal in France again:

http://www.amazon.com/Does-Waze-work-in-Europe/forum/Fx118Z6X9ABR7M8/Tx36Y9VY1L62UIU/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B009ZFPQOQ

Feb 22, 2016 9:42:58 AM PST

I just googled it, and it was banned in 2012 because of the warning of traffic cams. But they replaced that with "slow down" areas, and it is now legal in France. We are going in May, and I have put different French cities into Waze as favorites. I'm going on the assumption that it will work while we are there.
i use it all the time in London and it really is the dogs bollocks. i have a sat nav in the car and in busy traffic ill put both on to see the difference and Waze will beat the car each time.

FermGael

HERE maps.
Voice navigation and downloadable maps

Perfect and free
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Tony Baloney

Google Maps on Samsung phone is bang on. Visual and voice direction. Apart from data allowance I've never had any issues with it.