Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Rosapenna at Downings.
Shandon up near Dunfanaghy

Don Johnson

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2016, 09:24:07 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on August 23, 2016, 09:25:55 PM
Would you recommend the Eurocamps? Thinking about booking one for next summer with the fiancee and the child.

Where are the best ones going from ireland, thinking about a short enough transfer from the airport to the camp. There is so much choice on the site it's hard to know where to start.

Just back from El Paso in Salou for the week. The child had a bug start of the week, passed it to me, then on to the woman. It was a nightmare. So that's why I am already looking to get something to look forward to for next year. I was going to try one of the Eurocamps for September of this year but they all seem to close early enough in September.

As Benny says they are a great holiday, can be expensive and that depends on a few factors, size of van, air con, easy for transfers from airport (I've always hired a car, more expense though) but the size of these things with the facilities they have within the camp make for an enjoyable experience.... been to France mainly but have done Spain and Italy.. the best one I thought was Italy, flew to Pisa and it was 40 minutes from airport .... fantastic site and little town nearby, and the beach was across the road... also a nudist beach which was interesting !!

initially did it through the Keycamps/eurocamps and another one (cant remember name) but bit more research we booked directly to the camp, saving a couple hundred quid...

Trying to do another one but hols booked next year already and kids are getting older now so those sites are not probably going to be what they are looking for, which is a shame because I personally love the relaxed nature of the camps

Cheers for the replies lads. Any recommendations on camps for myself, partner and a toddler?

Looking at La Baume and Domaine des Naiades near Nice, then Le Clarys Plage and Les Ecureuils near Nantes. Any of you stayed at these before?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Don Johnson on August 25, 2016, 07:28:26 PM
Would you recommend the Eurocamps? Thinking about booking one for next summer with the fiancee and the child.

Where are the best ones going from ireland, thinking about a short enough transfer from the airport to the camp. There is so much choice on the site it's hard to know where to start.

Just back from El Paso in Salou for the week. The child had a bug start of the week, passed it to me, then on to the woman. It was a nightmare. So that's why I am already looking to get something to look forward to for next year. I was going to try one of the Eurocamps for September of this year but they all seem to close early enough in September.

As Benny says they are a great holiday, can be expensive and that depends on a few factors, size of van, air con, easy for transfers from airport (I've always hired a car, more expense though) but the size of these things with the facilities they have within the camp make for an enjoyable experience.... been to France mainly but have done Spain and Italy.. the best one I thought was Italy, flew to Pisa and it was 40 minutes from airport .... fantastic site and little town nearby, and the beach was across the road... also a nudist beach which was interesting !!

initially did it through the Keycamps/eurocamps and another one (cant remember name) but bit more research we booked directly to the camp, saving a couple hundred quid...

Trying to do another one but hols booked next year already and kids are getting older now so those sites are not probably going to be what they are looking for, which is a shame because I personally love the relaxed nature of the camps

Cheers for the replies lads. Any recommendations on camps for myself, partner and a toddler?

Looking at La Baume and Domaine des Naiades near Nice, then Le Clarys Plage and Les Ecureuils near Nantes. Any of you stayed at these before?

La Baume is in Frejus... Beautiful place the campsite is excellent with entertainment and its basically two sites with different ends with bars for the younger ones and ones for the older generation!! Great spot and not too far from the town...

Handy enough to get to from Nice
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

I was in Domaine de Colombier in Frejus in July which is about 2/3 mile from La Baume, closer to town as well. With either you'd be safer with a car anyway. I'd highly recommend it. Short Driving distance to Cannes, St Tropez etc... as well. Aquapark & Amusement park 5m from you.

Baking hot too, sunniest part of France, in Nantes you can get middling weather of the Atlantic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on August 25, 2016, 08:36:59 PM
I was in Domaine de Colombier in Frejus in July which is about 2/3 mile from La Baume, closer to town as well. With either you'd be safer with a car anyway. I'd highly recommend it. Short Driving distance to Cannes, St Tropez etc... as well. Aquapark & Amusement park 5m from you.

Baking hot too, sunniest part of France, in Nantes you can get middling weather of the Atlantic.

Domaine is a lovely spot too, smaller though. Tiered van site if I can remember... My youngest just walked around the pool the whole time, in turn I had to follow!! As said serious heat and aircon is a definite thing to have!!.. Yeah closer to town also... Remember one year a bush fire wiped out one of the sites further up the road!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 25, 2016, 08:27:04 PM

La Baume is in Frejus... Beautiful place the campsite is excellent with entertainment and its basically two sites with different ends with bars for the younger ones and ones for the older generation!! Great spot and not too far from the town...

Handy enough to get to from Nice

At what age would the kids get the most from these camps? Mine will be 3 next summer, would there be much for them at it or is it geared to ones a bit older than that?

Don Johnson

They seem to have things for kids from 1 years old upwards from what I've read, though this is only at certain camps and certain dates for some of them.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/about-us/our-kids-clubs

StephenC

We were in Le Clarys last year. It was good. Very safe environment. Loads of Irish and the kids were out playing around the mobiles all day. Each mobile has it's own barbecue which was nice. Good supermarket a 3 min walk away. The pool are was good and they show all the GAA matches (if you are going during the season). The old let down was the food. All there is is a take-away for pizza, nuggets chips etc so get's old after a while. You can cook yourself which is great but sometimes we like to head out for a nice meal.

What age is the toddler? We make the mistake a few years ago of going to one of these camps when our daughter was just 1. We tried to pick a holiday for her but we (my wife and I) ended up not enjoying it as much, and our daugter would have been happy anywhere. So if they are very young (say too young for the pool), then just go for somewhere that'll suit you and your partner.

Don Johnson

Yeah, she will be just one and a half when we go next year.

I think we will enjoy it though, can still keep her in her wee routine, get her to bed at the usual time then me and herself can sit on the deck or watch a film or something in the evening.

bennydorano

I would advise to book & sort your flights asap. I was going to hold off for Ryanair in the Autumn but went for the early booking with Aer Lingus (if the French Air Traffic Controllers are acting the wankers, which is a 99% possibility, you've a better chance of getting with AL who cancel less than Ryanair, easyjet etc..). Shit an all as the £ to € rate is I ended up getting an excellent price by shifting my holiday dates to suit the cheaper flight dates available. They go quickly tho! I got flights out to Barcelona for €50.99c! Car hire is cheaper if booked earlier too.

Walter Cronc

Anyone any advice of affordable but reputable holiday insurance? Websites etc?

haranguerer

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 31, 2016, 09:49:51 AM
Anyone any advice of affordable but reputable holiday insurance? Websites etc?

As for a lot of things, martin lewis' guide on this is excellent. Only mentions reputable ones, and then recommends based on payout history etc.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

Walter Cronc

Cheers Haranguerer

ballinaman

Was in Riva Del Garda last week, little town at the top of Lake Garda. About 2 hours drive from Milan Bergamo.
Can't recommend it highly enough, scenery, activities and food all top notch. Can make it as expensive or as cheap as you like. Nice crowd there too, mostly Swiss and Germans, very relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely return at some stage.

ludermor

Quote from: ballinaman on August 31, 2016, 10:19:20 AM
Was in Riva Del Garda last week, little town at the top of Lake Garda. About 2 hours drive from Milan Bergamo.
Can't recommend it highly enough, scenery, activities and food all top notch. Can make it as expensive or as cheap as you like. Nice crowd there too, mostly Swiss and Germans, very relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely return at some stage.
It must be a very romantic place?