The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 11:09:33 AM
Quote from: Decod89 on May 15, 2023, 10:55:58 AM
The two lads last night came to the conclusion that Tyrone are the strongest Ulster team left in the AI series.
The same Tyrone team that have won one championship game since 2021 and were beaten by both Derry and Armagh last year.

That was woeful stuff alright. Taking form from 2 years ago and elevating them above the 2 best current teams in the province.

Listen to a few decent podcasts for GAA analysis now. The Sunday Game is finished in terms of analysis, its shockingly bland stuff.

Tyrone see to be a jekyll and hyde team these days and are just too inconsistent.  On a good day, they can be a handful, but you couldn't rely on it.  The two guys seem to think we haven't seen them fully and they may be thinking they are going to get a bit of a run, but I don't personally see it happening.  Liable to go out and beat Galway, but fail to back it up against Armagh. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

bennydorano

Forgot about Fitzmaurice, I do like him and would buy the Examiner on a Monday in football season just to read him.

ClubScene13

The two lads last night came to the conclusion that Tyrone are the strongest Ulster team left in the AI series.
The same Tyrone team that have won one championship game since 2021 and were beaten by both Derry and Armagh last year.

That was woeful stuff alright. Taking form from 2 years ago and elevating them above the 2 best current teams in the province.

Listen to a few decent podcasts for GAA analysis now. The Sunday Game is finished in terms of analysis, its shockingly bland stuff.

I'm the same The Sunday Game is shocking. Bland is the right term as well, I find myself getting distracted and lifting the phone as it's not very engaging. Would it be mental to say Des Cahill was better than Jacqui Hurley as well or have I lost the marbles?

yellowcard

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 15, 2023, 11:16:31 AM

Tyrone see to be a jekyll and hyde team these days and are just too inconsistent.  On a good day, they can be a handful, but you couldn't rely on it.  The two guys seem to think we haven't seen them fully and they may be thinking they are going to get a bit of a run, but I don't personally see it happening.  Liable to go out and beat Galway, but fail to back it up against Armagh.

There are a few Tyrone lads like Canavan, McGinley and Cavanagh working in RTE now alongside Flynn and Keegan so maybe they are simply trying to cosy up to them. But how they rate Tyrone as the best Ulster have to offer simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The biggest issue I have with the show though is the fact that it is long past its sell by date. Last night was one of the worst examples.

Decod89

Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 11:30:57 AM

There are a few Tyrone lads like Canavan, McGinley and Cavanagh working in RTE now alongside Flynn and Keegan so maybe they are simply trying to cosy up to them. But how they rate Tyrone as the best Ulster have to offer simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The biggest issue I have with the show though is the fact that it is long past its sell by date. Last night was one of the worst examples.

TSG seems to be stuck between what it wants to be. Its trying to be MOTD with highlights and key moments discussed. Its trying to be like Skys Monday Night Football where they go into a deep dive into tactics and playing styles and also trying to be a magazine show touching on wider talking points and other codes.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: yellowcard on May 15, 2023, 11:30:57 AM

It's very hard to know where Tyrone are at but if they get a run together there's more chance of them going on to challenge for an All ireland than both Derry or Armagh. They're just as liable to get knocked out in the last 12 at the minute but they have the pedigree to do something if get a run going. That's what winning so many All Ireland's at senior and underage level does. Armagh struggled to cope with the pressure of winning an Ulster yesterday, imagine what they'd be like facing Kerry in a semi final. They also couldn't win in Omagh in the league when it mattered this year.

tintin25

Quote from: ClubScene13 on May 15, 2023, 11:25:48 AM

I'm the same The Sunday Game is shocking. Bland is the right term as well, I find myself getting distracted and lifting the phone as it's not very engaging. Would it be mental to say Des Cahill was better than Jacqui Hurley as well or have I lost the marbles?

Nope, I think she's really poor as a presenter.

seafoid

Tyrone know how to win all Irelands.Neither of the other 2 do. And Tyrone never follow up all Ireland wins. So of course they would be rated ahead of Derry and Armagh. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

While yesterday's game was tense it was poor enough for the most part.  If Tyrone can get their act together there's nothing from yesterday to fear.  Not sure if we could get over the dublins n kerrys of the world though

seafoid

It's hard to know how good Dublin are.Kerry miss David Moran .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

David Tubridy hasn't taken to the punditry at all. Very nervous and gets muddled up with the point he is trying to make.

I think part of the problem is that they have that many pundits, none of them can form any kind of chemistry whether it be in the live shows or the Sunday night show. Whatever about Spillane, Brolly and O'Rourke at least they had that. McGuinness and Canavan bounced off each other well on Sky I thought as they were on most if not all their live shows.

Wildweasel74

Tyrone couldn't even beat Monaghan, they been bad for over a year.

An Fhairche Abu

Don't know why people are writing off Tyrone, they were cruising in 1st half against Monaghan, made a bit of a bags of it in the second half but this is a hugely dangerous game for Galway, when did we beat them in the championship last?
Out of the 3rd seeds they were the ones I didn't want out of the hat anyway, Mayo obviously at the same level but the familiarity is there with them. The Tyrone lads have the All Ireland medals in the back pocket, outside of Dublin and Kerry who else has done it? They could easily rock up to Salthill with a huge performance next Saturday.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2023, 02:03:48 PM
Don't know why people are writing off Tyrone, they were cruising in 1st half against Monaghan, made a bit of a bags of it in the second half but this is a hugely dangerous game for Galway, when did we beat them in the championship last?
Out of the 3rd seeds they were the ones I didn't want out of the hat anyway, Mayo obviously at the same level but the familiarity is there with them. The Tyrone lads have the All Ireland medals in the back pocket, outside of Dublin and Kerry who else has done it? They could easily rock up to Salthill with a huge performance next Saturday.

You already beat them in the league this year without Comer and Walsh. Galway defend well nowadays, Tyrone haven't defended well since the 2021 All-Ireland final.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose