The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

square_ball

Is the Sunday Game a highlights show or chat show now? Why where we treated to 15 minutes of nonsense at the end discussing the integration of camogie and ladies football into the GAA and a the drinking culture in teams? It was the same on the Saturday Game when they spent 10 minutes of the end talking about the promotion of hurling. People want to see more highlights. Or maybe it's just me.

smort

Another reason there needs to be a midweek, magazine-type show

JimStynes

For all Brolly's nonsence he's right about the Sunday Game being crap now! I very rarely ever watch it now and I wouldn't have missed it back in the good old days. Everything is so sanitised these days.

bennydorano

It has gotten so bad. Keegan was a great baller but he's terrible as an analyst, as is Flynn. Botox Sean isn't great, Gooch either. Bar Canavan there's not much there on the footballing side, Ciaran Whelan isn't great but he's better than the rest.

Saffrongael

I don't mind Keegan and he is new to it but don't think Flynn or McMahon on bbc have brought much to the table

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: smort on May 15, 2023, 10:05:18 AM
Breaking Ball was the only one they ever had that nailed this, no presenter, just a voice over and features on the the matches. Format could be extended to include a panel going on with the rambling discussions on drinking, camogie integration, competition structures etc. that have no place whatsoever on the SG as there isn't time to be fluting around with this stuff given the amount of matches now.

Some of the newer analysts aren't brilliant, the likes of Gooch might have been an all time great but is not bringing a whole lot to the couch. Keegan is in the same boat. Fitzmaurice mightn't have the most engaging voice but he is the best co comms in the business, great insights to what's happening on the pitch. Canavan is excellent.
The newer SG intake might be a mixed bag but Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke had to go, they were shocking poor. O'Rourke is showing right now with Meath just how completely out of touch he is. Brolly is insufferable and thankfully is easy to avoid now he's off the national broadcaster and confined to a rag published on Sunday.

JimStynes

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2023, 10:44:06 AM
Quote from: smort on May 15, 2023, 10:05:18 AM
Breaking Ball was the only one they ever had that nailed this, no presenter, just a voice over and features on the the matches. Format could be extended to include a panel going on with the rambling discussions on drinking, camogie integration, competition structures etc. that have no place whatsoever on the SG as there isn't time to be fluting around with this stuff given the amount of matches now.

Some of the newer analysts aren't brilliant, the likes of Gooch might have been an all time great but is not bringing a whole lot to the couch. Keegan is in the same boat. Fitzmaurice mightn't have the most engaging voice but he is the best co comms in the business, great insights to what's happening on the pitch. Canavan is excellent.
The newer SG intake might be a mixed bag but Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke had to go, they were shocking poor. O'Rourke is showing right now with Meath just how completely out of touch he is. Brolly is insufferable and thankfully is easy to avoid now he's off the national broadcaster and confined to a rag published on Sunday.

Towards the end their time was up but we once would have tuned in to hear what they were going to come out with. Controversial or whatever it was, at least it was entertaining. Colm Parkinson or someone like that would be good. A lot don't like him but he would at least be entertaining. At the minute the Sunday Game is completely shite. Something needs to change.

twohands!!!

Quote from: JimStynes on May 15, 2023, 10:11:18 AM
For all Brolly's nonsence he's right about the Sunday Game being crap now! I very rarely ever watch it now and I wouldn't have missed it back in the good old days. Everything is so sanitised these days.

Twas crap when he was there and tis crap now.

Keegan is very poor even by RTE standards.

snoopdog

It's thrown together. On sat night they showed brief tailteann highlights. They never discussed the Down game. Along with others. It's a farce. If thry that the tailteann like that then how do they expect to promote it. Thry mentioned thr undervalued Joe mc Donagh but again more lip service. Down v kildare relegation tie there was no one at it yet they spoke more about it than the Down footballers.

Decod89

The two lads last night came to the conclusion that Tyrone are the strongest Ulster team left in the AI series.
The same Tyrone team that have won one championship game since 2021 and were beaten by both Derry and Armagh last year.

Armagh18

Quote from: Decod89 on May 15, 2023, 10:55:58 AM
The two lads last night came to the conclusion that Tyrone are the strongest Ulster team left in the AI series.
The same Tyrone team that have won one championship game since 2021 and were beaten by both Derry and Armagh last year.
I doubt there would be much between any of those 3 teams.

screenexile

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 10:57:14 AM

Except the 6 points you beat them by last year in the Championship and the 11 Derry did!

ClubScene13

Quote from: screenexile on May 15, 2023, 11:06:24 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 15, 2023, 10:57:14 AM

Except the 6 points you beat them by last year in the Championship and the 11 Derry did!

Waiting in the long grass....we're not a good team, shocking from AI win, but I reckon would still be hard to put away in Croke Park. No AI threat in that team though I will admit

yellowcard

That was woeful stuff alright. Taking form from 2 years ago and elevating them above the 2 best current teams in the province.

Listen to a few decent podcasts for GAA analysis now. The Sunday Game is finished in terms of analysis, its shockingly bland stuff.