Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

I sincerely hope you're right Dreadnought. Hard to overstate how big of a win this would be if we pulled it off.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on April 18, 2023, 11:13:49 AM
I sincerely hope you're right Dreadnought. Hard to overstate how big of a win this would be if we pulled it off.
It would be a big win, but it'd hardly be a shock or anything for me. If we aren't expecting to go into this match and come out with a win, then what are we at really? We're not a tiny county, we're a county that can beat nearly any other team on our day. Armagh are not some giant who are many levels above us, we've done far more than them in Ulster recent years. I feel the last number of years, that so much weight has been put on League an where you are and where you finished. We've seen time and again this doesn't always apply to us and we know we're a good team. We have the players, we're at home, and if we're dialled in, take enough of our chances, then I expect we'll win.

Dreadnought

I know that sounds arrogant, but it'll be a huge disappointment for me if we lose. More riding on this for us than Armagh in more than a few ways. We've a lot of players around the 100 cap mark with enough talented youth and others in between backing them up, and another year in Tailteann for us will be a disaster. If our boys haven't been aiming our year for this, aren't dialled in, and aren't ready to go knowing we can win this then I really don't know where we're at as a county. This will be our best chance for the next while to get to a final with some teams on downers and Tyrone out. We need to show that finals and the win in 2020 were not aberrations. Getting through Ulster games and not being afraid of them needs to be where we're at.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dreadnought

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 19, 2023, 11:49:48 AM
Is the match on TV?
GAA Go only unfortunately. Not sure why BBC picked so many otehr matches, but not this one which should be a cracker

Denn Forever

means what he says...

Itchy

I hope the Cavan support get off their arses and get out to this game.

Dreadnought

Cavan team named:

Raymond Galligan
Killian Clarke
Padraig Faulkner
Jason McLoughlin
Ciaran Brady
Oisin Kiernan
Gerry Smith
Gearoid McKiernan
James Smith
Conor Brady
Dara McVeety
Jonny McCabe
Cian Madden
Paddy Lynch
Oisin Brady

Bench: Liam Brady, Conor Moynagh, Conor Madden, Niall Carolan, Tiarnan Madden, Brandon Boylan, Ryan O'Neill, Jack McKenna, Killian Brady, Marty Reilly, Conor Smith

Itchy

Good start today, minors gave Antrim an awful hammering, 3-20 to 0-7.

Denn Forever

Will the weather be good for us or Armagh?  The nerves are building.
means what he says...

Itchy

What a disappointment that was. Such a feeble effort in the first half, didn't give it a go at all. Raised their game in 2nd half only to butcher a crazy amount of scoring opportunities. So many lads played below their best - holla, James Smith, oisin kiernan, Gerry smith, McVetty didn't show up. Galligan was poor, 1 free from 3 and good few wayward kick outs as well as being very lucky twice when high ball came in on him. It was just a mess of a performance when we really needed a big one.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on April 23, 2023, 07:12:49 AM
What a disappointment that was. Such a feeble effort in the first half, didn't give it a go at all. Raised their game in 2nd half only to butcher a crazy amount of scoring opportunities. So many lads played below their best - holla, James Smith, oisin kiernan, Gerry smith, McVetty didn't show up. Galligan was poor, 1 free from 3 and good few wayward kick outs as well as being very lucky twice when high ball came in on him. It was just a mess of a performance when we really needed a big one.

Poor firat half was the killer alright. Playing catch up.

Armagh just seemed like a team who said during the week, let's go and get the job done early.  While Cavan showed no intensity.

Could have got closer near the end but the decision makibg for the big shots was poor.

Westside

I find it hard to believe that's a happy camp given what we've seen since the Down game. We brought far more intensity to Mullingar in January than we did to that game.

Mickey Graham has been living off the Championship manager. He would probably have got away with another Donegal 2022 style gallant defeat but we can't excuse poor performances when things don't improve drastically come championship.

If we don't win the Tailteann Cup, it's probably time for new blood to oversee the rebuild that will be required over the next 5 years.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on April 24, 2023, 01:48:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that's a happy camp given what we've seen since the Down game. We brought far more intensity to Mullingar in January than we did to that game.

Mickey Graham has been living off the Championship manager. He would probably have got away with another Donegal 2022 style gallant defeat but we can't excuse poor performances when things don't improve drastically come championship.

If we don't win the Tailteann Cup, it's probably time for new blood to oversee the rebuild that will be required over the next 5 years.

I would say Graham stepping away at the end of this year is a given now. The question that worries me is who steps in!

Denn Forever

Watch cavan vs roscommon in some game. Div 2/3 final from a few years ago.  We were every bit as good as recommon and  look where they are now.  Lost some good payers.
means what he says...