What do you think of the new championship structure so far ?

Started by seafoid, June 02, 2023, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2023, 11:57:08 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on June 04, 2023, 06:38:45 PM
This country has an obsession with going to the beach when its above 12 degrees and sunny so that might play a factor in atteandances this weekend.

Some of the pitches had more sand than many Irish beaches.
This is true - especially Brewster Park.  In some areas more sand than grass.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: restorepride on June 04, 2023, 11:59:43 PM
This country has an obsession with going to the beach when its above 12 degrees and sunny so that might play a factor in atteandances this weekend.

Newish MacHale Park pitch didn't look good today.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 04, 2023, 10:34:02 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2023, 10:06:55 PM
There must have been a hole in the wall somewhere.
Around 8k there today but official attendance announced as 5,773.
Connacht Council personnel in charge.
A cynic might think the debt on McHale being reduced.
A simple ladeen like me would say things like that wouldn't happen.

Looked over 10k in attendance. Did they not want to make it public that a similar size crowd turned up today in Hyde Park than what turned up for their overpriced Connacht final?
Rumours that lads scanning were pointing their phone in the general direction of the "customers" phone and saying away you go.....
I know mine seemed fairly quick anyway!

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2023, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 04, 2023, 11:25:59 AM
Difficult to get too excited about any of it.

We all know what we currently have is temporary. We all know it's just another intermediate phase on the road to where we inevitably end up.

Eventually, we'll land on a three-tiered system, with full integration of League and Championship, and the compete depreciation of the provincial championship. This will be a roaring success and we'll all wonder why it took so long.

It's just a shame we have to spend these years pissing about to prove concepts and bring enough traditionalists onboard.

But what will be different in this new system? Will there only a league? Or will there be a league and something like what we have now and how will that be better than what we have this year?

After 20 years of tinkering with the championship, we have eventually landed on an abbreviated model of the 'regular' league season followed by knockout 'play-offs' that most other team sports (outside of soccer) have long since adopted. This model makes sense for the AFL, NRL, URC, all the yank sports, etc. - and it'll make sense for the GAA too.

We just have to go through another couple of format iterations before our stand alone leagues and provincial championships can be ditched to give us the consolidated, simplified, standardised intercounty season that Gaelic Football deserves. It's the inevitable and obvious conclusion to all this messing around.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Eire90

should be neutral province too for the final round of games so armagh v galway can only be played in leinster or Munster  Munster probably too far so id play that game in Parnell park or nolan park or cusack park westmeath.

highorlow

Quoteshould be neutral province too for the final round of games so armagh v galway can only be played in leinster or Munster  Munster probably too far so id play that game in Parnell park or nolan park or cusack park westmeath.

Fully agreed, or counties should be allowed to toss for the province. It'll be Limerick or Ennis for Mayo v Cork, instead of Nowlan park.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Quote from: highorlow on June 05, 2023, 07:55:39 AM
Quoteshould be neutral province too for the final round of games so armagh v galway can only be played in leinster or Munster  Munster probably too far so id play that game in Parnell park or nolan park or cusack park westmeath.

Fully agreed, or counties should be allowed to toss for the province. It'll be Limerick or Ennis for Mayo v Cork, instead of Nowlan park.

Do ya not think they'll stick us in croker with another game like Galway v Armagh or Kildare v ros ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

snoopdog

I'd say they would be afraid to open croke pk for it as the attendances have been so poor for groups.

Rossfan

Group attendances are what you'd expect for Group/qualification games  especially when overpriced, no packages of any sort and no marketing etc. Only the regular followers are going.
The old Qualifier games never drew the big day eventers either.
Some seem obsessed with possible Croker double headers.
Play the games as near to half way as possible. At least 5 or 6,000 will look decent enough in a smaller stadium.

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2023, 09:30:05 AM
Group attendances are what you'd expect for Group/qualification games  especially when overpriced, no packages of any sort and no marketing etc. Only the regular followers are going.
The old Qualifier games never drew the big day eventers either.
Some seem obsessed with possible Croker double headers.
Play the games as near to half way as possible. At least 5 or 6,000 will look decent enough in a smaller stadium.

Is there a package deal for the 3 group games?

lurganblue

I wouldn't be in favour as it stands.  There is absolutely no doubt that it will kill the provincials.

Supporters are under financial strain. I agree, a 3 game package deal would have been sensible.

The games look flat.  It doesn't feel like championship. Actually, the league games have been at a higher intensity.

smort

Quote from: lurganblue on June 05, 2023, 10:01:03 AM
I wouldn't be in favour as it stands.  There is absolutely no doubt that it will kill the provincials.

Supporters are under financial strain. I agree, a 3 game package deal would have been sensible.

The games look flat.  It doesn't feel like championship. Actually, the league games have been at a higher intensity.

It actually might save the provincials. As you say, the provincials and league have been at a higher intensity. Not a fan of these group stages at all

RedHand88

Are people likely to go to all 3 games when 2 of them are way down the country?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 05, 2023, 12:02:58 AM
Quote from: restorepride on June 04, 2023, 11:59:43 PM

Newish MacHale Park pitch didn't look good today.

Was a good few years since I've been in Ballybofey but what is the story with that pitch. The grass was a lovely surface but feck me the dips and rises on it was mad for a county pitch. Looks like it was graded by a few lads on a Monday morning after a weekend on the sauce or a Friday when then where about to hit it.