The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Bad optics and nothing more. Won't see Stormont on a Saturday or Sunday for a long time. If it wasn't for knee jerks you'd see no movement from the SDLP

AustinPowers

McNulty managing  Laois  was discussed  on political programs  when he took the role a few months back .  The SDLP has had  plenty of time to deal with it .

Regardless of  the time needed for him  to sit in Stormont (how often do they sit really?), he still has to represent  the people of his constituency, and he could hardly have  been doing that  well,  while he's been trekking  to Laois 3-4 nights a  week

SaffronSports

Quote from: clarshack on February 04, 2024, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: SaffronSports on February 03, 2024, 11:28:51 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 03, 2024, 11:20:26 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on February 03, 2024, 10:14:38 PMJustin McNulty suspended by SDLP

Suspended without pay?

They probably can't withhold his pay as his wage will come from public money. If it's unresolved he could still be an independent MLA or join another party until the next election anyway.

Independent or not, still would be impossible to find the time to be a county manager as well.

Yeah they're both jobs that wouldn't be your conventional 9-5 or 40 hours per week. Technically if Laois were happy enough he could carry on with both but you'd be guaranteed he wouldn't get re-elected.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 04, 2024, 12:41:10 PMThought it was harsh to be honest. The timetable clash only came about mid week when the DUP agreed to the deal, there was nothing he could have done. I thought the SDLP would have gave him a weeks grace to quit Laois but maybe he's made it clear he intended to continue with both? I don't think that's sustainable either.
Always thought he'd have put politics first when push came to shove just for financial reasons but frig knows what Laois are paying him...
£55k plus about £100k in expenses, allowances etc. for a few years is hard to turn your back on, especially if you've got the missus in as "staff".

Armagh18

Quote from: SaffronSports on February 04, 2024, 01:06:29 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on February 03, 2024, 10:14:38 PMJustin McNulty suspended by SDLP

Suspended without pay?

They probably can't withhold his pay as his wage will come from public money. If it's unresolved he could still be an independent MLA or join another party until the next election anyway.

Independent or not, still would be impossible to find the time to be a county manager as well.

Yeah they're both jobs that wouldn't be your conventional 9-5 or 40 hours per week. Technically if Laois were happy enough he could carry on with both but you'd be guaranteed he wouldn't get re-elected.
I wouldn't vote for him anyway but really wouldn't bother me if a politician took that job on.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 04, 2024, 12:57:00 PMMcNulty managing  Laois  was discussed  on political programs  when he took the role a few months back .  The SDLP has had  plenty of time to deal with it .

Regardless of  the time needed for him  to sit in Stormont (how often do they sit really?), he still has to represent  the people of his constituency, and he could hardly have  been doing that  well,  while he's been trekking  to Laois 3-4 nights a  week
He obviously didn't think the DUP would cave so early

seafoid

One of the reasons that loyalists are so poor is the UK tendency to shaft the losers of economic change instead of supporting them

This a strong argument for reunification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nairn-Anderson_thesis

The Nairn-Anderson thesis is a theory of British economic and political decline developed in the 1960s and 1970s by political theorist Tom Nairn and historian Perry Anderson.[1][2]

The thesis suggests that Britain's early development into a capitalist society was so successful that it failed to overturn archaic social structures and institutions like the power of the aristocracy. By contrast, continental European states like Germany introduced efficient administrations and educational systems as part of a "second" bourgeois revolution. The result for Britain, wrote Anderson, is that "the triumphs of the past become the bane of the present."[3]

The thesis was first developed in a series of essays in The New Left Review[4] and is cited today in discussions of Britain's post-Imperial decline and "dysfunctional" institutions.[

SaffronSports

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 04, 2024, 01:34:03 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on February 04, 2024, 01:06:29 PM

Suspended without pay?

I wouldn't vote for him anyway but really wouldn't bother me if a politician took that job on.

I just don't think the two jobs are compatible for one man. Something like teaching, you know your hours and you're not working at the weekend. As an MLA, Stormont can run late into the evening, you'll have committees that you're on, you have loads of constituency issues to deal with. I don't feel it would be possible to do both to the best of your ability.

The Boy Wonder

Enough of this nonsense about double jobbing. Surely a politician is entitled to some downtime to pursue his other interests and hobbies. What's wrong with managing an amateur GAA team on a Saturday evening or indeed a Sunday ?  Yes, there's also a couple of evenings training during the week involving a bit of travel. And all for a few bob to put diesel in the car and some tea and sandwiches. Greater love hath no man for the GAA.

tiempo

Bad misstep from Justin, on a day of major historical importance within the statelet, the political junket is also potentially a more long term lucrative role, wrong on all fronts

Wildweasel74

But you no problem DUP not working for 2 yrs, but all cheer because they bck allowing Michelle O'Neil to be first minister

tiempo

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 04, 2024, 05:56:01 PMBut you no problem DUP not working for 2 yrs, but all cheer because they bck allowing Michelle O'Neil to be first minister

Tell me ya scundered without telling me ya scundered

trailer

McNulty has just about enough intelligence not to eat himself

bannside

What's this even doing on DUP thread?

Kidder81

So he took a helicopter to the Laois game & is considering legal action against SDLP  :D