New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: WT4E on October 27, 2022, 01:17:02 PM
I was wondering is there a way of buying warranty for a used car if you buy it private for peace of mind like a 6 month one (That you would normally get hwen buying from a dealer)

Yes, you can buy car insurance online like you get from a dealer. I bought it before but I cant remember where

Edit - https://www.carprotect.ie/business/car-warranty

sensethetone

I was wondering is there a way of buying warranty for a used car if you buy it private for peace of mind like a 6 month one (That you would normally get hwen buying from a dealer)

You can purchase additional warranty, the seller may include warranty through a third party in the price, but they may not be responsible for any repairs(the warranty company sorts).

Getting work done though can be a headache as it sometimes has to be through a garage that's not a brand dealer. Your mate down the road mightn't suffice either.

WT4E

Quote from: sensethetone on October 27, 2022, 01:54:45 PM

You can purchase additional warranty, the seller may include warranty through a third party in the price, but they may not be responsible for any repairs(the warranty company sorts).

Getting work done though can be a headache as it sometimes has to be through a garage that's not a brand dealer. Your mate down the road mightn't suffice either.

milligan?? lol

trueblue1234

Not new car but looking advice. Have a q7 had a suspension issue as one wheel dropped. on. Brought it to A guy and he's fixed the problem but the suspension light still comes on after driving a while. He said it's a senor issue and can replace. But car driving fine. I have MOT in a couple wks. Will it fail for the yellow suspension light if it comes on during the MOT?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ghost

Anyone any experience with timing belts? I've a vauxhall insignia and it was recommended by the dealer to change at 100,000. There's currently 93000 miles on it and I was hoping to hold off until after Christmas/mid January. By that time there'll be about 95000 on it going by usual driving. Just wondering are these recommendations usually spot on or is there much danger of it going early?

Also roughly what does it cost to get this done with a decent mechanic? Thanks

imtommygunn

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 10, 2022, 04:26:13 PM
Not new car but looking advice. Have a q7 had a suspension issue as one wheel dropped. on. Brought it to A guy and he's fixed the problem but the suspension light still comes on after driving a while. He said it's a senor issue and can replace. But car driving fine. I have MOT in a couple wks. Will it fail for the yellow suspension light if it comes on during the MOT?

Pretty sure it will. I don't think they let you away with any warning lights on.

tintin25

Folks, need some advice.  My car which is 2008 is on its knees and just have to bite the bullitt and get a new one - not feasible anymore to be pumping money into repairs for a car which effectively worth a couple of hundred quid (if even).  I wouldn't do alot of mileage (bar the odd road trip) and tend to walk to places when I can (also get park n ride into work).  Anyone round Lisburn/Belfast who you'd recommend who'd have cars in stock for say the £5k - £10k range?  Is it worth getting say a wee small car on PCP given yearly mileage is low?  Don't wanna be spending money on car repairs for a long time!

Karl Kennedy

Currently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Would definitely be trying to buy a used car at reasonable money. Price of cars obviously increased post COVID so wondering is it best to maybe buy in England instead of Ireland.

Anyone any advice on 7 seater cars that they may already have especially the pros and cons.

I have a 7 seater 4WD X-Trail and can't fault it, probably a bit more economical than some of the others you've listed.

WeeDonns

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 10, 2022, 04:26:13 PMNot new car but looking advice. Have a q7 had a suspension issue as one wheel dropped. on. Brought it to A guy and he's fixed the problem but the suspension light still comes on after driving a while. He said it's a senor issue and can replace. But car driving fine. I have MOT in a couple wks. Will it fail for the yellow suspension light if it comes on during the MOT?
Yep.
Buy a code scanner from amazon & remove the error until your mechanic can change the sensor

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on February 12, 2024, 09:13:52 PMCurrently in the process of changing car and trying to source the best 7 seater SUV. From reading reviews the cars that seem best in performances and reliability are Hyundai Santa Fe, SKODA Kodiaq, KIA Sorento, Volvo XC90.

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

trueblue1234

Quote from: WeeDonns on February 13, 2024, 10:38:31 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 10, 2022, 04:26:13 PMNot new car but looking advice. Have a q7 had a suspension issue as one wheel dropped. on. Brought it to A guy and he's fixed the problem but the suspension light still comes on after driving a while. He said it's a senor issue and can replace. But car driving fine. I have MOT in a couple wks. Will it fail for the yellow suspension light if it comes on during the MOT?
Yep.
Buy a code scanner from amazon & remove the error until your mechanic can change the sensor
Good man. Car sold last year tho!! 😀

Got through the mot without lighting up

tbrick18

If you need the full 7 seats, check the 3rd row seat sizes and leg room as generally in an SUV the leg room is not great no matter what you go for. If your kids are older, they may be cramped.
For 7 seaters (and I've been through a few) we found the Ford Galaxy best for boot seats and comfort, plus running costs are fine and parts and labour are generally cheap.
I've had an older XC90, great car, boot seats only suited to young children in my opinion. The new one, is similar.

I've heard good things about the XTrail, but haven't seen one. Nissan generally reliable.
From what I've seen of the Kia/Hyundai, they well kitted out, but build quality is not just as good.
I think the Skoda would be the pick of the bunch after the XC90 if their cars are anything to go by.
There is also a 7 seater version of the VW Tiguan called an Allspace. Probably on the pricier side.
Then you have the Q7 and X5 which are pricey, but for me going into that kind of money I'd still prefer the Volvo for reliability.
If you want to go electric, there's a Kia EV9 coming out - it might already be released, but you'd probably have to go brand new. Discovery size vehicle.

johnnycool

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 13, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Been looking at these models myself recently. If I could afford it I'd obviously go with the xc90. Beautiful Motor and never a recorded fatality as far as I'm aware. Had an older model before but cost a few Bob to run. Newer models better fuel efficiency. The Kia and Hyundai have had face lifts in21/22 so are very pricey in the used market. Although have heard great reviews on both. Kodaq q probably cheapest option with decent reviews too. Top of the range ones a decently kitted out. The prices up North are crazy. I bought a year old kuga in 2018 for 18k. Now a year old Kuga is 23k

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on February 13, 2024, 11:42:19 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on February 13, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Work colleague is a big fan of the XC90's, buys them from somewhere in Scotland though and drives it home, says he can save a few K doing it that way.

Took two cars out of Uk last year. Q7 & A4. Good savings to be had. Just make sure they'll extend the warranty to local garages. Agree this prior to sale. Not so easy to get them to agree after the sale is done. They'll be wanting you to bring the car over!! Going to NI tho, so no VRT.