Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smort

The small rectangle / 6 yard box ( :-X) is what I meant

Milltown Row2

Just make a new sport while you're at it

Whatever new rules you put in place a manager/coach will look at it and work it towards their needs.

Possession football is all that matters, the more you have of the ball the more you control, millions watch, love and support soccer, its a possession game and the team with the most possession usually wins.

Its changed over the years, some say for the better, but its very boring at times
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

no need to change ever rule . just allow a robust tackle the way every one is brought up to play. problem solved
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 31, 2023, 12:33:45 PM

Whatever new rules you put in place a manager/coach will look at it and work it towards their needs.

Possession football is all that matters, the more you have of the ball the more you control, millions watch, love and support soccer, its a possession game and the team with the most possession usually wins.

Its changed over the years, some say for the better, but its very boring at times

Unless it's a Jose Mourinho managed team who loves to control games without the ball and can regularly win games with 30% or less possession.

onefineday

So what is your position? As a ref you don't want new rules as they'd be too difficult to police, but you agree that large parts of many games are difficult to watch.
Are you of the opinion we should just accept it and let the game die a slow death as spectators drift away and players shortly thereafter?
Or do you think the rules should be changed (having due regard to volunteers like yourself in making them simple to police) to improve the game as a spectacle and as a sport that players can enjoy?
I've said it many times on here, restricting teams from going back over their halfway line (45/65?) and requiring 2 players to remain in the opposition half at all times should be relatively easy to monitor. Wobbler's punishment of a 45 for transgressions is harsh, but it'd certainly focus minds!
I can understand why some on here, blinded by recent club or county success are of the 'leave the rules alone', but I can't understand why people who agree that large parts of games are tedious would not see the merit in trialling changes.

Captain Obvious

Is there any other team sport in the world that has chopped and changed it's playing rules as much as GAA football the last 20 years?  Arguably the current state of football where it's mainly low risk and where possession is king is a direct result of too much changing already but hey lets do some more rule changing and on this occasion the shit thrown against the wall might stick? 

Rossfan

The rugger codes are always changing rules as far as I'm aware.
Rule changes didn't bring in blanket defences.
This nonsense of you have to have so many in the opposition half....how many officials needed to implement that, what would be the sanction? Would there be a sanction of the last man to cross the half way line?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: onefineday on June 02, 2023, 12:49:50 AM

So what is your position? As a ref you don't want new rules as they'd be too difficult to police, but you agree that large parts of many games are difficult to watch.
Are you of the opinion we should just accept it and let the game die a slow death as spectators drift away and players shortly thereafter?
Or do you think the rules should be changed (having due regard to volunteers like yourself in making them simple to police) to improve the game as a spectacle and as a sport that players can enjoy?
I've said it many times on here, restricting teams from going back over their halfway line (45/65?) and requiring 2 players to remain in the opposition half at all times should be relatively easy to monitor. Wobbler's punishment of a 45 for transgressions is harsh, but it'd certainly focus minds!
I can understand why some on here, blinded by recent club or county success are of the 'leave the rules alone', but I can't understand why people who agree that large parts of games are tedious would not see the merit in trialling changes.

First and foremost I'm a GAA man at many levels, supporter, past player at hurling and football at all levels for many years, a manager in both codes and now for my sins been refereeing for many years at both codes at the highest club level. I believe I've a decent view on things. I've seen plenty of rule changes over the years and I've yet to see one that has actually progressed it (football)

The basics are the same and cannot be changed, if you try and morph it into a different sport then it will be a different sport. My point is defensive football could have been employed many years ago but the managers at the time didn't have the foresight to employ those tactics and when others took a different take on it and it brought reward then they are all at it, back in the 50's when Antrim were good at football they utilised the hand-pass, it got that bad at the time that they thought about changing the rules, this stuff isn't new.

Changing it won't make it better, managing the stuff thats been talked about from a refereeing point of view is just stupid, and if you think its easy then go knock yourself out and be part of the trails
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

This is a good one from Dublin club football.

Division 2 league game in which Ciaran Archer was sent off (was one of Dublin's better players at his age group at minor and U20, not on the senior panel this year).

He was sent off for the incident below (Indo also has this video up on their report I believe)

https://twitter.com/score_beo/status/1664581042282328065

In his report, the ref described it as an assault and said he suffered a rib injury.

Archer duly got the maximum suspension of 96 weeks for an assault on a referee.

Thankfully the video evidence surfaced, Archer appealed, and was cleared (although had to miss 2 games during the appeals process). It was judged to have been more likely to be accidental.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on June 02, 2023, 01:26:09 PM

Division 2 league game in which Ciaran Archer was sent off (was one of Dublin's better players at his age group at minor and U20, not on the senior panel this year).

He was sent off for the incident below (Indo also has this video up on their report I believe)

In his report, the ref described it as an assault and said he suffered a rib injury.

Thankfully the video evidence surfaced, Archer appealed, and was cleared (although had to miss 2 games during the appeals process). It was judged to have been more likely to be accidental.

He does catch him and for the life of me I don't know why he went that direction, that wasn't the easiest path for the player to go.. That being said, I had a collision (accidental) with a player and cracked a rib or worse, I never let on but was in pain/discomfort for around 6 weeks. The video doesn't actually show much tbf, It just doesn't show him being assaulted lol

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hound on June 02, 2023, 01:26:09 PM

What did Archer do? It does look like he throws an arm or something at the ref on the way by. Looks very random. But might just be the angle as hard to tell as he was running behind the ref. Certainly doesn't look much in it, but still looks strange.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2023, 09:05:34 AM

First and foremost I'm a GAA man at many levels, supporter, past player at hurling and football at all levels for many years, a manager in both codes and now for my sins been refereeing for many years at both codes at the highest club level. I believe I've a decent view on things. I've seen plenty of rule changes over the years and I've yet to see one that has actually progressed it (football)

The basics are the same and cannot be changed, if you try and morph it into a different sport then it will be a different sport. My point is defensive football could have been employed many years ago but the managers at the time didn't have the foresight to employ those tactics and when others took a different take on it and it brought reward then they are all at it, back in the 50's when Antrim were good at football they utilised the hand-pass, it got that bad at the time that they thought about changing the rules, this stuff isn't new.

Changing it won't make it better, managing the stuff thats been talked about from a refereeing point of view is just stupid, and if you think its easy then go knock yourself out and be part of the trails

Sideline ball out the hand? Handpassing a goal into the net? Apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on June 03, 2023, 12:26:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 02, 2023, 09:05:34 AM

Sideline ball out the hand? Handpassing a goal into the net? Apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Probably handpassing the ball to net, often wondered why not have the 45's out of the hand also?

The Mark, either defensive or attacking pointless. Sin bin hasn't stopped the cynical foul completely gum shields no one is really wearing them, back pass to keeper? Not changed anything I can think of

thewobbler

Mentioned it earlier on this thread but I feel genuine sorrow for those people who maintain that Gaelic Football is perfectly fine and the rules shouldn't change.

Taking enjoyment from football now involves a form of Stockholm syndrome.

I'm bored out of my wits here watching Mayo. Not even they can make it watchable when the opposition has no intent.