Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

BS i certainly would not want to portray Pat as such.  By all accounts he is a level headed fellow with his feet firmly on the ground.    He can only do what he feels is best for his own development which at this moment appears to be in Cargin rather than with Antrim.

Isn't supposed to be a condescending post. We are all allowed to have opinions and some will value the tailteann cup more than others which they are entitled to do

bannside

All good, fair enough Spike.

paddyjohn

The TC is our level, in my lifetime I've saw Antrim win maybe 7 championship games.

Any little success is welcomed.

barnish oggie

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2023, 09:25:57 AM
We've won a handful of games in the championship in forty odd years yet a championship at our level is introduced and people look down on it. Doesn't make any sense to me. Pity about shivers but he has huge ability and will hopefully be back.

Tc is perfect for us otherwise we will year on year be measured on unrealistic expectations in the championship in a province where most other teams are division one level.

Totally agree.

We should be glad that the Taitleann Cup is there for us to use it to build a bit of confidence by winning a few games, rather than the annual early exit from the Championship.

It is our level and will be our level for a number of years as we just are too far away from the big boys.

I certainly wouldn't be turning my nose up at winning the TC, especially if we can bring players through from minor and let them experience that winning feeling.

Something to build from.

Same as the hurlers in the Joe McDonagh, not the end goal but good to use to improve.

seafoid

Antrim still have more Ulster titles than Derry.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bannside

100%, the TC has given Andy another 2 months to see who he wants to take into his second year. If you take 3 or 4 challenge games, plus another 3 - 7 TC games, that's a lot of football to build momentum and provide a platform for new players to show what they can do.

Fermanagh 4pm Athletic grounds is next up on Sunday week, will be a good test of where we are at.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 11:28:37 AM
Antrim still have more Ulster titles than Derry.

Even bannside wouldn't remember the most recent one !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

JimStynes

Quote from: Spike on May 23, 2023, 09:28:11 AM
BS i certainly would not want to portray Pat as such.  By all accounts he is a level headed fellow with his feet firmly on the ground.    He can only do what he feels is best for his own development which at this moment appears to be in Cargin rather than with Antrim.

Isn't supposed to be a condescending post. We are all allowed to have opinions and some will value the tailteann cup more than others which they are entitled to do

Maybe he's on a plane to America soon!

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on May 23, 2023, 08:58:56 AM
Spike, you're a wise poster to be fair but that last post of yours isn't doing Pat any favours. Reads like Pat thinks he's too good for the Tailteean Cup, and I would seriously doubt that's what he's thinking. Very condescending post imo.

Pat is terrific player and will bounce back.
I'd say it's more a case of struggling not being allowed to play for the club, not getting on for Antrim at the same time. Then watching others being allowed to play for their club and play for Antrim such as Declan Lynch

country bumpkin

Quote from: JimStynes on May 23, 2023, 11:49:27 AM
Quote from: Spike on May 23, 2023, 09:28:11 AM

Maybe he's on a plane to America soon!

Big Pat is a complete gentleman and has more championship medals, senior and minor than most on this board.
Certainly not in love with goings on in the Saffron...

imtommygunn

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 23, 2023, 11:49:43 AM
Spike, you're a wise poster to be fair but that last post of yours isn't doing Pat any favours. Reads like Pat thinks he's too good for the Tailteean Cup, and I would seriously doubt that's what he's thinking. Very condescending post imo.

I'd say it's more a case of struggling not being allowed to play for the club, not getting on for Antrim at the same time. Then watching others being allowed to play for their club and play for Antrim such as Declan Lynch

I don't understand the lynch scenario either. Same for several fringe players not getting club games.

country bumpkin

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2023, 05:38:34 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on May 23, 2023, 11:49:43 AM

I don't understand the lynch scenario either. Same for several fringe players not getting club games.

Sean O' Neil one of the best 'young' played about was ignored for most of the time he was in the county panel.....game time in minutes.....

imtommygunn

I very much doubt it's a club gripe. Different managers favour different players.

bannside

Andy has picked things up really well despite a dozen absentees and half a dozen injuries.

The man has practically  built a new squad, and achieved targets for the year, how hard can it be for some people to be gracious enough to say well done and keep it going.

bannside

Sean O Neill was going well I heard and if he hadn't picked up an injury would be there or thereabouts for team selection. Not many walk in and claim a jersey in first few months, sometimes you need to be patient and play your way in. Agree he's quality, but plenty young enough to make a big contribution to the cause in coming years.