Tips wanted for running a U6s Gaelic Football session

Started by thebackbar1, April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: blanketattack on April 19, 2023, 11:30:53 AM
My advice is make the drills involve footballs. The link to gaelic football can be tenuos.
I've seen sessions where the whole session was just playground games. Quite a few parents and kids come away thinking 'What's the pont? This is no different to what they got up to at lunchtime or with their friends
Round my way it's seen as another hour put in until they get to bed and the bonus is there was no screen needed!!

square_ball

Yeah I find that too. Parents are just happy to get the youngsters out of the house and getting active for an hour.

ck

At U6 level there really only should be one overriding objective - make sure they have fun and want to come back next week. If you achieve that then you can look at the basic fundamentals of the skills, kicking and catching etc. Fun is number 1.
Include every player and make sure they all have smiles on their faces and all feel included.

thebackbar1

just wondering what type/brand of football do your clubs us for the U6s ?

clonian

Quote from: thebackbar1 on May 07, 2023, 01:21:32 PM
just wondering what type/brand of football do your clubs us for the U6s ?
Our club use O'Neills but I don't think there's much difference in the quality for the first touch balls.

In our club when I helped out at U6s we set up a big circuit of stations (usually 6) and had them at each station for 6 minutes with a minute or so to change over. One man ran the whole operation and the other 2 or 3 helpers stayed at stations and always got another few parents on the day to help at the other stations. At that age they're usually eager enough to help.
Keep it simple and mix it up, we would of had a basketball hoop in one station, hurdling over tackle bags in others, cross the river etc. We would of moved towards small sided games with the 6 yr olds as the season went on but would of kept the younger ones doing bib tag or something like that until they were ready for 4  a side or something like that.

p3427977

What does everyone think of having a star of the week for U6?

Not sure I agree with it.

Mourne Red

Quote from: p3427977 on May 27, 2023, 11:34:43 AM

As long as everyone gets one I don't see the big deal.. They run a pupil of the week in primary schools etc

marty34

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 27, 2023, 11:38:55 AM

As long as everyone gets one I don't see the big deal.. They run a pupil of the week in primary schools etc

As long as every player gets it once during the season.  Need to mark down what players got it every week, then you know you haven't missed anybody.

Good idea as it may get them to practice more away feom training. 

p3427977

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 27, 2023, 11:38:55 AM

Yeah I get that about primary school and I'd understand if everyone gets their turn. Just think it can be pretty harsh for some kids who don't understand that though.

RedHand88

Weights. Bleep test. Circuits. No point having them unprepared for the competitiveness they'll face later on.

trueblue1234

Don't do it. Causes agro. We had it running and ended up getting calls from parents about it. Does more damage than good imo.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 27, 2023, 08:27:26 PM

Don't do it. Causes agro. We had it running and ended up getting calls from parents about it. Does more damage than good imo.

Hope you told them to wise up and mind their own business?

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 27, 2023, 09:37:25 PM

Or even better, say you need a few more coaches to help out.

The phone calls would soon stop.

westbound

Star of the week means one kid goes home delighted,
But EVERY OTHER child goes home disappointed.

Not a good idea IMO.

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 27, 2023, 09:37:25 PM

It's was very quickly pulled. And told all the kids they were all stars of the week and that mum and dad had to get them all McDonalds on the way home for being so good.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit