6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Snapchap on May 24, 2023, 02:48:06 PM
Newsletter saying an increased Alliance vote is coming from nationalism, while Brian Feeney in the above quoted column noted that "young, socially liberal, professional unionists, if they voted, voted alliance". As ever with Alliance/undecideds,

This is a bit odd. The Newsletter is saying that the Alliance vote comes from Nationalists, but still saying that Alliance voters would not vote for a border poll.
Brian Feeney is saying that the Alliance vote comes from unionists, but he might well say that Alliance voters would vote for a border poll.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

These votes will mean shit when the shit hits the fan, Border poll will mean the unionist voters will actually come out, I'd say the every unionist would be out to keep the union
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Red

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 03:16:10 PM
These votes will mean shit when the shit hits the fan, Border poll will mean the unionist voters will actually come out, I'd say the every unionist would be out to keep the union

A lot of nationalists don't vote either - Also hardline republicans who go and spoil their vote each election.

Feckitt

Is there ANY real evidence that these mythical hordes of non-voting Unionist Voters actually exist.  Are they really going to appear on the day of the Unity Referendum to save the day for God & Ulster?

Snapchap

Turnout will be huge across the board. The point is, there will be less unionist voters in existence because, as Sam McBride put it the other day, most voters who are dying are unionist and most voters joining the register are nationalist. That trend is beginning to manifest itself in recent elections and it's now accepted as a given that the gap between the size of the nationalist and unionist electorates is set to widen at an accelerated pace. That only leads to one eventuality.

RedHand88

Not convinced on this to be honest. Every election gets labelled by Unionist politicians as a referendum on the Union and less and less Unionists bother to vote.

A third of Slieve Gullion didn't vote in this election. There are alot of Nationalists still to come out.

Milltown Row2

Well then, what are we waiting on? 2 Strong elections from nationalism/republicans

When crunch comes to crunch the unionists will come out, and be interesting to see how many in the likes of the Falls area vote for UI
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 04:01:12 PM
Well then, what are we waiting on? 2 Strong elections from nationalism/republicans

When crunch comes to crunch the unionists will come out, and be interesting to see how many in the likes of the Falls area vote for UI

Why wouldn't they?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 24, 2023, 04:02:19 PM

Why wouldn't they?

keeping things as they are, free housing DLA and the other benefits that have been given to them, you could put a chart up showing how much they would get in the South but it may be a case, better the devil you know....

I just don't think its as cut and dried as a numbers game will show, i.e more taigs than prods

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 24, 2023, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 24, 2023, 04:02:19 PM

Why wouldn't they?

keeping things as they are, free housing DLA and the other benefits that have been given to them, you could put a chart up showing how much they would get in the South but it may be a case, better the devil you know....

I just don't think its as cut and dried as a numbers game will show, i.e more taigs than prods

You say "keeping things as they are" like they're good.
They aren't. 

Rossfan

Milltown  doesn't seem to realise we've got Social Welfare  in the 26.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on May 24, 2023, 04:26:29 PM

I'd say MR2 is happy with the status quo.

Snapchap

What are we waiting on? Didn't my last post kinda deal with that? We're waiting on the accelarating demographic shift to take an even more dramatic effect, which it inevitably will.

And when it does, you can have whatever % unionist turnout you like. They will still be outnumbered by a significantly larger nationalist population.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on May 24, 2023, 04:29:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 24, 2023, 04:26:29 PM

I'd say MR2 is happy with the status quo.

I'd be in a far better position if I were working in the south so if I was basing things financially then I would be mad not to, I've an Irish Passport and see myself as an Irish man, and wouldn't hesitate when voting for a return to a UI

You ain't trying to convince me, my post wasn't about me personally, its just some people don't like change, do you feel that every voter on the Falls would vote for UI? Were you confident that the Scots would get it 50+1?

marty34

Quote from: Snapchap on May 24, 2023, 05:35:02 PM

What are we waiting on? Didn't my last post kinda deal with that? We're waiting on the accelarating demographic shift to take an even more dramatic effect, which it inevitably will.

And when it does, you can have whatever % unionist turnout you like. They will still be outnumbered by a significantly larger nationalist population.

If you look at the recent election, SF and SDLP are picking up  seats in unionist areas.  Demographics is changing everything very quickly.

Unfortunately, in response to that we can see the reactionary elements of unionisms targeting East Belfast GAA...once again.