James Brokenshire - Snubs Amhrán na bhFiann

Started by Seany, January 30, 2017, 10:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Seany on January 30, 2017, 10:21:26 AM
Just wondering what your thoughts are here.  GB Secretary of State should be neutral on the national question.  I'm sure they stand for other national anthems in what they consider their own territory, so why not ours?
This was at the McKenna Cup Final Saturday night which he attended.  The first ever SoS to attend a GAA match...
Perhaps he's actually a Dublin supporter and was finishing his pint in the nearest pub at the time?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2017, 12:54:37 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 30, 2017, 10:26:55 AM
Who gives a fck, seriously.

I do. I seriously do.

The british treat us as second class citizens and show no respect for our language or culture. Yet they are quick enough to take tax from me. Cnuts.
If he really give a shit he wouldn't have appeared at the match in the first place.

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2017, 01:21:51 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 30, 2017, 11:37:34 AM
Would you stand for God save the Queen if you could avoid it?

If I were in Britain then I would stand, no problem. When in Rome and all that.
I think yer man would stand for Amhrán na bhFiann if played at Twickenham before the rugby. He probably thought it was LESS divisive to sit this one out which didn't work out well for him! At least I'd hope that's the case.

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2017, 01:51:50 PM

I do. I seriously do.

The british treat us as second class citizens and show no respect for our language or culture. Yet they are quick enough to take tax from me. Cnuts.
If he really give a shit he wouldn't have appeared at the match in the first place.

*adopts puzzles expression*

Ah right, I get it. He was late because he was having a big shite?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

His name is "Brokenshire".....I just can't get beyond that. Brokenshire.

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2017, 02:15:23 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2017, 01:51:50 PM

I do. I seriously do.

*adopts puzzles expression*

Ah right, I get it. He was late because he was having a big shite?

I hope he didn't go in Pairc Esler!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

leenie

To be honest , I don't care about a Britton not acknowledging our anthem , it's our own  ones that are looking rid of it from  games that seriously annoys me
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

haranguerer

Quote from: AQMP on January 30, 2017, 02:02:02 PM
Quote from: Seany on January 30, 2017, 11:23:27 AM
But McGuinness is a republican and not neutral.  In any case, McGuinness had asked Arlene to attend a RoI match with him if he went to a NI match with her, but she refused, so McG went to the Ni match anyway.  Another example of the DUP arrogance.
British Govt. is supposed to be neutral and per the Good Friday Agreement,.  They and the Irish Govt as co-guarantors of GFA are supposed to be there to represent both communities.  Imagine Enda at a match in Wembley and refusing to come out for GSTQ.  Also, GAA opened Croker to other sports and allowed England to play there, GSTQ and all and the queen herself visited CP. 
It all just sickens you.,  The lack of respect and the attitude of Tory?DUP to us.

But the Brits aren't neutral in the situation here.  They are Unionists.  The Tories don't  want to upset the DUP too much.  They may need their votes in a couple of years to get a shite Brexit deal approved

They are facilitators of the deal that we are entitled to be Irish or British - they should respect the Irish anthem in NI when played in the same way Kenny should respect the English (?) anthem in NI when played. So should republicans and unionists, but it'll take a bit longer, or, if this fool keeps on setting an example like this, a lot longer.

dec

For GAA games in the US the Irish and US anthems are played. For GAA games in Great Britain is God save the queen played?

stew

I was in Soldier field watching the North against Romania a few years ago, I was taking a dump when it was playing, my mate wasnt amused when I got back!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 30, 2017, 03:03:17 PM
His name is "Brokenshire".....I just can't get beyond that. Brokenshire.

Aye, it does not even translate very well for comedy purposes - Seamus Bristecontae?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Taylor

Why would you go out of your way to be offended?
Or even shocked by it?

Let people live as they please - issue in the North for too long. Mcguinness didnt come in until GSTQ was over in Windsor - no? Was there much of an uproar for that?

BennyCake

The GAA fixed the match for Newry. They should have moved it up the road to Omeath. Technically, that's not Ulster (it was in the past though), therefore Brokenballs would have had to stand for the anthem, as it's outside the jurisdiction of Brit control.

But seriously, he's representing Queen Lizard's nazi government, and Norn Iron, and therefore Newry, is part of the governance of said nazis. The Brits don't compromise on such issues as anthems, therefore to him and his cronies, it's a foreign anthem. Regardless of the thousands in Norn Iron who identify with that anthem. Norn Iron is a Brit controlled territory, therefore to them, God Save The Lizard is the anthem.

OgraAnDun

As a representative of a government in a foreign country, on official business, yes.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity