Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 26, 2010, 10:56:19 PM

It depends on the next game id say PIU
If Tommy pulls out any more performances from the lads like that last 25 minutes,He will get another year for sure.
im looking forward to this 2nd round draw.
Knowing our luck,it will be Cork away!!!!  :(

After that performance, I would happily fill up the petrol tank, butter the sandwiches, fill the flask full of tae and set off for Cork.

As I said I congratulate them all but I still dont think TC had all that much to do with it. It took balls to drop Cahill, Jelly and McKeever but even Stevie Wonder would have known to bring them on. Cahill shoulda been on sooner anyway before Corr even got sent off.

Wicklow completely bottled and in the first half we look inept after we wasted two early goal chances but was so delighted to see our players not just accepting that we were goin to lose.

mylestheslasher

Tremendous come back lads but it may seem a little harsh to say this but I call it as I see it. Carrs team selection completely backfired. For me Mcguigan was at sea at wing forward, Mulvey was pathetic, martin reilly very poor. In fact the 1st half was one of the worst shows I have ever seen from a Cavan team with the exception of Hannon and Nesty. When Mulvey the clown got the line it left us with 1 man inside. Few of the lads around me were saying that with 1 forward against 3/4 backs Carr will need a big man in there. Instead he stuck on Johnson. Was this genius? I thought it was stupid to expect Johnson to beat the entire Wicklow back line on his own - but that is exactly what he did. First few seconds he wins a ball with 3 men on his tail and just hits it over the bar 1st time. Prior to this there was no belief, confidence and certainly no work rate worth talking about. His next point was from the corner flag (maybe 5 yrds in from end line and side line) on the right hand side with his right foot and straight over the bar. Don't think you will see a better score all year. At this stage he had 4 men marking him and suddenly Cavan start to believe. Brennan in midfield start cleaning up and then there is backs putting their bodies on the line. At this point McCutcheon start running after guys like a demon, Cahill and McKeever come on like someone gave them speeds. Every Cavan player suddenly want to win. It was one of the most amazing transformations I have ever seen in a match. I hope a corner has been turned and that in future we start games with this level of effort. But tonight I am proud of the team and glad I drove 200 miles return trip to watch it.

PIU - heard the Johsnon interview on Northern Sound. Yon tool asked him where he was at the start of the match and Johnson pointed to the dug out and said "I was sitting down there". Why didn't you start says yer man - " I don't pick the team" says Johnson. He was not dropped due to injury anyhow, maybe Carr was clever enough to try and get a reaction from him or maybe he was stupid enough to leave a genius of a forward on the bench - take your pick.

whats my name

johnstone didnt start because he didn't train once since the loss to fermanagh that was the main reason so i heard

put-it-up

I heard that about Johnston too and it did take balls to drop the trio but it got a reaction out of them alright.  But it still hasnt changed one feeling I have about TC. The improved was more of a thing generated by  the players because I think they realised if they lost to Wicklow two years a row and this time at home that they would never be forgive.

Agree on the first half Myles but after some of the shite we have seen in recent times I am just going to focus on the second half and be proud of 13 men that ran their socks off and hassled, tackled and blocked for their county.

The Johnston interview was great - your man was completely stumped and didn't know what to say and tried to defend Carr and Co. By god I reckon any of us could give better coverage than the current Northern Sound lot.

Just shows what Johnston is capable of if he feels he has a point ot prove rather than strutting around the place with an I'm better than you attitude. He was brilliant today and he lifted the entire team so much as soon as he swung that first point.

BallyhaiseMan

Great Night for Cavan GAA
It was announced as the teams were leaving that Paul Brady won his 6 in a row at the US Nationals against David Chapman???
It got a great cheer at the end.

boojangles

Fantastic effort in the 2nd half and showed what this bunch of players can do when they dig deep. They made people proud tonight because they gave it their all and showed serious hunger and balls and thats all we can ask for.

Dougal

shite first half,but what a difference jelly made when he came on,that point from the end line is the best you'll see this year,if not ever.great to see some pride again.hannon was very good,i was harsh on him earlier in this thread,but i think i said somewhere that i would like to see him starting.corr isnt up to full back,and that was the 3rd or 4th time he let in such a goal this year.mcguigan was useless in the first half,but worked his socks off.toastie was better than i expected him to be.i was ready to leave at half time,and ive never left a match early,but that first half performance really made me think if i was well in the head staying there.it'll not happen again.leitrim waterford and possibly fermanagh in the next round of the qualifiers,we should be fit to beat any of them if we play to our capabilities.

didnt hear the interview on NS,only turned it on when cahill came on(i think),at least he admitted that we had nothing to be proud of before today.

excuse my spelling and puctuation and all that,cos im pretty full.

CAVAN FOR SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

sams the aim

the thing is folks he is better than the rest and thats why people are so hard on him. you see the bradleys in derry quittin, maybe he didnt train but i no he tried to tog out against belturbet for his club and cudnt play due to injury,so i presume thats why he cudnt train, we have a genuine jewel along with a few others folks der is no need to abuse them and i  dnt think people realise the true extent of  Johnstons injury he got a good few months ago, u have somebody who requires more serious surgery on his arm and is putting it off to try and help out a poor cavan team when there is a lot better chance of club success and all cavan fans do is abuse him, dnt see why, the lads out the field were a credit tonight and thats all johnston kept saying in his interview, well done to all of them

13aside

well done to Cavan last night,heard a bit on radio and it didnt sound good at the start of the second half but what a turnaroundfrom the team-congratulations!!

put-it-up

I think this pic sums up the kind of mood Johnston was in

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/437721/

This one made me smile too!

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/437787/

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on June 27, 2010, 01:05:11 PM
I think this pic sums up the kind of mood Johnston was in

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/437721/

This one made me smile too!

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/437787/

Not out supporting the club today PIU?

Celt_Man

Heard the Johnston interview there earlier - very interesting to say the least.  I didn't realise there was more to it than I thought.

Thanks to Drumalee juniors for doing us a favour and taking a point off Bailieboro.

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

You can't have Gareth back.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Re-Read my post after the match and i noticed I forgot to mention properly the efforts put in around the middle by the like of Brennan, Galligan, Flanagan, McCutcheon, Cahill and even Dane O Dowd when he came on. They did us proud when the hard questions were asked. Hopefully the draw will be kind to us.

cavanmaniac

I think a kind draw and a small step up in opposition is just what the team needs to get some momentum and progress going. If this win doesn't put some fizz back in the bottle, nothing will.

That said, I have very little confidence left in TC after Antrim last year and Fermanagh this year, and I have an awful feeling this performance could be a flash in the pan like the Down league performance two seasons ago, which came from nowhere and wasn't built on.

I'd obviously love to be wrong there and clearly, the players that dug deep and produced when the chips were down - admittedly against weak opposition - deserve a lot of credit for turning around an impossible situation. It's something we haven't produced in championship since McCabe on one leg put Down to the sword in that replay in Breffni a few years back when under Eamon Coleman.