Refs don't take criticism well do they

Started by Fuzzman, June 27, 2012, 03:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I agree with a lot of the comments around Duffy on Sunday. I didn't really care which of the two teams won but I just thought the amount of mistakes the ref made was unbelieveable.

Yet here were are on discussing this and I'm shocked how many people on here who are saying you should just shut up and not even discuss it. You should turn a blind eye as its such a hard job and the amount of flack they take is so unfair. We're not saying that isn't true but in  my eyes if someone does a good job they should be praised and if someone makes a mess of something then they should be told so as well. Why should it be all swept under the carpet.
I think 2 years ago Sludden made a mess of that final and deprived Louth of their first title in years.
Are you guys saying we should comment on that and should just shrug our shoulders and say ah well, its a hard job. Leave them alone.

Would any of ye defending them be refs at some level yourselves by any chance?

tbrick18

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 28, 2012, 11:51:04 AM
I agree with a lot of the comments around Duffy on Sunday. I didn't really care which of the two teams won but I just thought the amount of mistakes the ref made was unbelieveable.

Yet here were are on discussing this and I'm shocked how many people on here who are saying you should just shut up and not even discuss it. You should turn a blind eye as its such a hard job and the amount of flack they take is so unfair. We're not saying that isn't true but in  my eyes if someone does a good job they should be praised and if someone makes a mess of something then they should be told so as well. Why should it be all swept under the carpet.
I think 2 years ago Sludden made a mess of that final and deprived Louth of their first title in years.
Are you guys saying we should comment on that and should just shrug our shoulders and say ah well, its a hard job. Leave them alone.

Would any of ye defending them be refs at some level yourselves by any chance?

+1

Why should referees be excused criticism? They play a part in our games and in a way you could argue that the current standard of refs do as much to ruin the game as any tactic teams may use.
On the topic of Sludden, he's now dropped from the panel of intercounty refs. Seems to me like he has been punished but not officially so. IMO, he should have been dropped off the referee panel after that game, but no...the GAA keep him there as they dont want to be seen to scrutinise a ref, but then 2 years later drop him of the referee panel under the radar.

Maguire01

Did you actually read the article you posted?

You said:
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 27, 2012, 03:45:52 PM
surely Pat should also realise that players get a lot of stick for making mistakes or having a stinker so why should Refs not get the same.

Evem though McEnaney said:
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 27, 2012, 03:45:52 PM
He has urged the same language to be applied to referees that is applied to players and managers when poor performances are being discussed.

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2012, 04:19:49 PM
John Bannon fairly slated Duffy in D'Examiner on monday if ye want to look it up.
Was Bannon not one of the worst refs in the country?

DuffleKing

"Letting the game go" as someone termed it is a completely alien concept to Duffy.

I wonder was he encouraged to allow a more physical game ahead of the monaghan game by the new head of referees?

Referees don't "get" respect because they are volunteers. In any walk of life you earn respect.

fitzroyalty

I think I speak for most players/fans in saying that no matter how bad a ref is, as long as he is bad for both teams, then it's easier to get over whatever mistakes/interpretations he has made in a game.

Duffy blatantly favoured Monaghan in his decisions last week, inescapable at club level but simply unacceptable at IC level.

Milltown Row2

Hats off to the Antrim county board at the weekend, they ran a very professional referees health and fitness test at Rathmore school.

This provided the referees and the people looking after the referees a idea of their fitness levels and a basic health check which included a BMI, blood pressure, and cholesterol check (mine sitting at 5.1 >:()

They also did a beep test, which shocked everyone, the look on their faces  :P, must were fooked after the warm up lol!! Fair play and hope it continues and is being done in all counties
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Canalman

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 30, 2012, 12:06:28 PM

"Letting the game go" as someone termed it is a completely alien concept to Duffy.

I wonder was he encouraged to allow a more physical game ahead of the monaghan game by the new head of referees?

Referees don't "get" respect because they are volunteers. In any walk of life you earn respect.

Referee's job is to apply the rules of the game. "Letting the game go" is not mentioned in the rule book . If two teams choose to foul each other for the whole game so be it ................. not the ref's job to "let the game go".

Main problem imvho is the utter contempt players have for referees at senior/ intermediate club level but not generally at junior football level where I think players are more forgiving.  The usual practise of having two umpires from each club doesn't help either.

sligoman2

Way past time to have 2 refs at every county game and club championships.

One man cant do it all with the speed of the game - can we at least try it.
Basketball has three refs on a court with 10 players thats about one twentieth the size of  a gaa pitch
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Hound

Quote from: Canalman on March 11, 2013, 02:29:22 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 30, 2012, 12:06:28 PM

Referee's job is to apply the rules of the game. "Letting the game go" is not mentioned in the rule book . If two teams choose to foul each other for the whole game so be it ................. not the ref's job to "let the game go".

Main problem imvho is the utter contempt players have for referees at senior/ intermediate club level but not generally at junior football level where I think players are more forgiving.  The usual practise of having two umpires from each club doesn't help either.

I think a lot of refs could apply the advantage rule better.

My experience of Dublin club games (Divisions 1 and 2) is that refs are treated reasonably well. By the players anyway. Division 2 is better, very little backchat - and when there is, the ref is quick to penalise. Refs are definitely slower to penalise the bigger teams with the county players (when you hear a ref calling an intercounty player by his first name, you know you might struggle to get the 50/50s!). At Division 1 level there is definitely more abuse from the sideline, but when the ref cracks down on it hard, he can quickly end it. But again, I find they are slower to crack down on the bigger teams

I remember this time last year, Talty getting thrown out of a Parnells game for roaring at a baldy ref - "take your hair out of your eyes"! That's probably the worst I've heard from a sideline over the last 3 or 4 years, and it was dealt with appropriately, and everyone on all sides ended up laughing about it - bar Talty!

Funny on the umpire thing, another Parnells game I was at recently had no umpires. The Parnells goalie (in Cluxton's absence) was absolutely 100% honest when giving points or waving wides for opposition kicks. While at the other end a corner foward did his very best to convince the ref the ball was over when it was most definitely wide!   

stew

Quote from: Orior on June 27, 2012, 10:10:30 PM
Hellllooooooooo!

Reality check please people. Referees are human, and humans make mistakes. Its all part and parcel of the game.

Get over it.

In 03 you had a chap in the AIF who made multiple mistakes, again and again and decided the fixture, not good enough Orior!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Fuzzman