Obesity in Ireland, What's goin on?

Started by omaghjoe, May 06, 2015, 12:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: OakleafCounty on May 06, 2015, 10:15:15 AM
It's too easy to blame the government and the multinational corporations. Yes, they should definitly be doing more. The fact that checkouts are still surrounded by sweets is a joke. Sweets should be in the far corner of the shop and not at the checkouts.

However, when I see an obese child the person I hold responsible is the parent(s). It's up to the parent to make sure their child is eating the right balance of foods, excercise and getting enough sleep. The hard part isn't knowing what to do, it's doing what you know.

We live in a society where we feel the requirement to point the finger of blame.  I take full responsibility for my children and their health as they are a product of their environment and it's up to me to ensure that they get the required balanced food, exercise and rest.  There has always been processed food and there has always been fast food.  The difference is our lifestyles have changed.  When we were younger the majority of us had a mother who stayed at home cooking a balanced dinner from food generally bought locally from the local grocer and butchers.  The majority of this was reasonably freshly grown and people shopped on a 3-4 day basis as opposed to doing a 'big shop'.  The convenience food was there but the fact that we had someone from a different generational mentality preparing it meant that it was a 'proper' cooked meal. 

Also there is a fiscal rationale behind it as well.  Many of my parents generations did not have the money to buy 'luxury' foods and multi packs of crisps etc were rare and generally the stinking Yellow pack shit so we ate less of it!!  We ate smaller meals and less often as there simply was not the same level of food in the house.  Much of our current eating habits are based on habit and availability. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2015, 03:35:25 AM
"Look at your man out for a run. Dick!"

"Look at your man out cycling. Dick!"

"Look at your man out for a walk. Dick!"

"Look at your man going to the gym. Dick!"

"Look at your man playing tennis. Dick!"

Who says that? It's fairly obvious you haven't lived in Ireland for a long time Eamonn. The amount of walkers, runners and cyclists on the roads is huge these days.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2015, 10:41:03 AM

Who says that? It's fairly obvious you haven't lived in Ireland for a long time Eamonn. The amount of walkers, runners and cyclists on the roads is huge these days.

Probably based on Hardy Bucks or Republic of Telly!!!

Keyser soze

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2015, 10:41:03 AM

This would be a very common reaction among teenagers, in my considerable experience of working with them..

AZOffaly

Teenagers say that a lot about everything :) I think the adult population has never been so aware of the benefits of those sort of exercises, and I'd bet the participation rate is massive compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

Childhood/teen obesity might be a different matter alright. Any child not involved in regular sport, GAA, soccer, rugby is probably at risk because of the foods we are all eating.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2015, 11:22:59 AM
Teenagers say that a lot about everything :) I think the adult population has never been so aware of the benefits of those sort of exercises, and I'd bet the participation rate is massive compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

Childhood/teen obesity might be a different matter alright. Any child not involved in regular sport, GAA, soccer, rugby is probably at risk because of the foods we are all eating.

I'm only a new parent so I don't know the craic but do kids go out and play anymore? God we used to leave the house at 9 on a Saturday down to the tennis courts to play football all day only coming home for a quick bite and then straight out the door again. The courts have been empty for a long time!

I wonder is this a product of kids not wanting to play outside as much with the dawn of video games or parents being ultra cautious in not letting kids out unsupervised like it used to be back in the day.

AZOffaly

In fairness I find in the summer our young lad goes out first thing and is grumbling about being called for his dinner at 6 and when he's called in at night.

The weather can be a problem though, because in the winter it's harder to be casually active like that, you have to plan it and go 'do' something. On a pissing wet day it's a lot easier to stay in and play XBox.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenexile on May 06, 2015, 11:37:11 AM

I'm only a new parent so I don't know the craic but do kids go out and play anymore? God we used to leave the house at 9 on a Saturday down to the tennis courts to play football all day only coming home for a quick bite and then straight out the door again. The courts have been empty for a long time!

I wonder is this a product of kids not wanting to play outside as much with the dawn of video games or parents being ultra cautious in not letting kids out unsupervised like it used to be back in the day.

All of the above plus with the greater range of crap american tv programs kids can become very lazy and sit and watch TV.  I would be a bit freer with my willingness to allow the kids latitude but she isn't.  It's a shame though as this has a bigger impact n terms of their motor skills development etc. Our childminder is good though as she has a forest at the back and the beach is 2 minutes from their house and her kids and ours go out there any day that it is dry. 

Keyser soze

Childhood/teen obesity might be a different matter alright
. Any child not involved in regular sport, GAA, soccer, rugby is probably at risk because of the foods we are all eating.

Well these 2 things are most certainly not mutually excluisive.  As in other spheres of society the fit are getting fitter and the fat are getting fatter.

Bingo

Most of the what I'd say on the topic has been said.

The old saying is "Eat less, move more" and this has probably changed more over the last 20 years or so. Can see a gradual swing back to it.

Seemed to be an age where kids done as they wish but I think parents are beginning to turn and they would be more active in taking their kids back to sports and getting them outside more.

Eating is probably the one that will take the hardest to change, for processed foods read convenience foods and the easy option. Its the case of quantity as well.

BC1 give a good example of the change in shopping habits and related eating habits.

My woman would be very good at this - she'd hate's overshopping and plans it out for the week. Rarely would she impulse shop. Even a tin of beans would be bought with an evening in mind, rather than buy a 6 pack and see when they last to. In her eyes, if its there it will be used as the easy way out. I'd be the opposite and would overshop when its left to me i.e. without a list. I'd also spend more.

I often say that if a nucleur war breaks out or a zombie apocalypse happens, we'd not last long as we'd have feck all in the presses to live off  :)

magpie seanie

I'm really doing a root and branch overhaul of my eating habits at present so this discussion is welcome. I thought when I went at the running I'd be sound but while I'm reasonably fit there's a bit of weight that won't shift and diet is the answer. I'd have come to a lot of the conclusions that have been discussed here. It can be difficult to break habits but when you think your way around it you can get there. My improvements have been modest but consistent. Bake my own brown bread every weekend for the week now - can't suffer that white shite. Gives me heartburn even thinking of it. Little things like that. The cup of tea and (something bad) has been my downfall so try not to have anything after my dinner when I come home.

As for the kids - they're ok so far but the Granny's are a disaster, particularly my own mother. I've tried everything - being calm, getting thick, being calmly thick, but they're just a law unto themselves. Amazingly I find people say to me - "lighten up, that's what grannies are for".

The magnitude of the problem in Ireland (per those surveys) is staggering are warrants serious attention.

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 06, 2015, 12:33:57 PM
I'm really doing a root and branch overhaul of my eating habits at present so this discussion is welcome. I thought when I went at the running I'd be sound but while I'm reasonably fit there's a bit of weight that won't shift and diet is the answer. I'd have come to a lot of the conclusions that have been discussed here. It can be difficult to break habits but when you think your way around it you can get there. My improvements have been modest but consistent. Bake my own brown bread every weekend for the week now - can't suffer that white shite. Gives me heartburn even thinking of it. Little things like that. The cup of tea and (something bad) has been my downfall so try not to have anything after my dinner when I come home.

As for the kids - they're ok so far but the Granny's are a disaster, particularly my own mother. I've tried everything - being calm, getting thick, being calmly thick, but they're just a law unto themselves. Amazingly I find people say to me - "lighten up, that's what grannies are for".

The magnitude of the problem in Ireland (per those surveys) is staggering are warrants serious attention.

That would be my downfall as well, got the hang if it to an extent and can have a cup of tea without any soakage to go with it.

Now the vino is a different ball game all together!!

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 06, 2015, 12:33:57 PM

We've had great success here  :) And the key was not by getting onto the Grannies (The Untouchables) but the kids themselves. Ours are 5 and 7, they'd have the run of the Grannies houses - sweets, soft drinks, crisps, Mr Freezes etc the lot.

We just kept at it and the kids will refuse all these now and the compromise is they will have a plain biscuit instead and are as happy as larry with this. When we are in house with them, they'll get a few jellys from the Grannies and they are happy with this.

We worked at it through the old reward chart system and they got other stuff instead - a book, match attacks, half a hour playing on the Xbox, ipad or Wii etc. A lot of stuff they'd have got anyway was dressed up as reward.

Now, its just the norm, so rewards have lessened. The Grannies actually complained for a bit that the poor children wouldn't even take a sweet and said they weren't allowed but even they noticed over time and would comment that they "ate a great dinner today, couldn't fill them!". Gradually it dawned on them it was because they didn't snack all day on the other stuff.

Worked well and we'd not be totally anti-anything they do get treats etc and enjoy them more. One thing though is that neither of them have ever tasted any type of coke. They tried seven up and the wee girl doesn't like it and the wee lad will take it the odd time when we are out for dinner in hotel or restaurant. Other than that, its water and milk.

laoislad

Ah fcuk ye are making me feel guilty for that foot long meatball sub I've just had...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

GJL

I used to sit down every evening after getting the kids to bed with a coffee and a handful of biscuits (6 or 7). I now limit it to 2. That cuts out at least a packet a week. Small steps and small changes can make the difference.