Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2020, 04:49:18 PM
This thread is about Armagh Camogie, not soccer, or Unionism.

I have listened to this clip multiple times. If you are contending that these ladies are singing "up the 'RA" would you please indicate the time in the clip when there is a "the" sound. Presumably this occurred several times, so you shouldn't have any bother identifying one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2020, 06:19:08 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2020, 04:49:18 PM
This thread is about Armagh Camogie, not soccer, or Unionism.

I have listened to this clip multiple times. If you are contending that these ladies are singing "up the 'RA" would you please indicate the time in the clip when there is a "the" sound. Presumably this occurred several times, so you shouldn't have any bother identifying one.
Armagh Camogie have investigated.

Had they determined that the girls were singing "Up Armagh", they'd have said so.

Instead they issued an apology (of sorts).

You don't need to be Columbo to figure out why.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on December 21, 2020, 06:45:21 PM

I asked you to point out the offensive section of the clip. You obviously cannot.

Had they determined that the girls were singing "Up Armagh", they'd have said so.
Instead they issued an apology (of sorts).

They might just be pandering to the sectarian mob to get peace and quiet.

nrico2006

First time I listened to it, clearly saying 'Oh ah up Armagh..'.  As mentioned, what would even drive them to saying what they are accused of in that moment, it just doesn't follow logic.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2020, 06:49:53 PM

I asked you to point out the offensive section of the clip. You obviously cannot.
It is not for me to prove or disprove anything.

The charge was that they were making an offensive chant. And AC tacitly accepted they were, otherwise they'd have said they weren't.

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2020, 06:49:53 PM
They might just be pandering to the sectarian mob to get peace and quiet.
Bullshit!
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 21, 2020, 07:12:23 PM
First time I listened to it, clearly saying 'Oh ah up Armagh..'.  As mentioned, what would even drive them to saying what they are accused of in that moment, it just doesn't follow logic.
The only "logic" is that AC have determined that the offensive chanting did occur.

Had they determined that it hadn't, or that it was uncertain what had been chanted, they'd have said so.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Milltown Row2

I suppose if you want to here 'oh ah up the ra' you'll hear that clearly enough. I didn't hear 'oh ah up Armagh' as there is definitely a 'the' in that ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 07:26:20 PM

I suppose if you want to here 'oh ah up the ra' you'll hear that clearly enough. I didn't hear 'oh ah up Armagh' as there is definitely a 'the' in that ;D

Where is the definite "the"?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2020, 08:29:45 PM

Unless the Armagh brogue is very thick I can hear it clearly. Like I said they could be singing 'Oh ah up the Armagh'

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

macdanger2

It couldn't be much clearer that they're singing "armagh" not "the ra"

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2020, 08:37:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 21, 2020, 08:33:24 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2020, 08:29:45 PM

Unless the Armagh brogue is very thick I can hear it clearly. Like I said they could be singing 'Oh ah up the Armagh'
The "the" you hear could be the "Ar" other people hear.

There is a significant difference between "the" and "Ar". This clip isn't very clear, but the only thing you can say is that the "m" is rather silent, it sounds a bit like up uparra, but sports chants often lack Sinatra style phrasing.
Does anyone know any of these ladies?

tintin25

I've listen to it too and whilst some parts it clearly sounds like 'up armagh' there are other parts which sound like 'up the ra'. 

armaghniac

Quote from: tintin25 on December 21, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
I've listen to it too and whilst some parts it clearly sounds like 'up armagh' there are other parts which sound like 'up the ra'.

Most likely a couple of smart alecs through in the latter and though it was funny.

Orior

ABC Council have got their own back on the girls who were celebrating this once in a life time achievement.

For singing a song at a private function with misheard lyrics - no civic reception in ABC Council.

For singing offensive sectarian songs six months of the year, every year, marching down public roads and dragging their coats - applause from ABC Council.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Truth hurts

quality is at the essence of the latest effort to amalgamate the two women's Gaelic games organisations with the GAA, the Gaelic Players' Association (GPA) looking to crystallise opinion on that matter with their motion at Congress this weekend.

GPA chief executive Tom Parsons outlined that exact intention at a press briefing at the Radisson Hotel in Dublin Airport on Monday, highlighting the fact the biggest push is coming from the players themselves, and that the time for integration is "here and now".

Motion 33 calls on the association "to prioritise integration with the LGFA and Camogie Association in order to jointly ensure equal recognition, investment and opportunity for all genders to play all sports in the Gaelic games family".

For Parsons, the former Mayo footballer, there's already been enough talk on the matter, now is the time for action.

"There's been a journey for the three separate governing bodies for 20 years now," he said, "even going back to 2003 when Seán Kelly set up a working group to bring them all together as one GAA family, by the end of 2007.

"Since then all we've seen are memorandums of understanding, agreement to make stronger links, but we've never got a commitment. That's what players are shouting for now, a commitment and timeline, because equality cannot be achieved as long as there are three separate organisations.

"The motion is about integration, but also to ensure equal opportunity for every GAA player, girl or boy, man or woman. Morally and culturally it's the right thing to do, but it also creates great opportunities, to further propel the GAA as one of the greatest sporting organisations in the world. The one thing that's holding the GAA back is that it represents boys and men only."

As for barriers which to date may have prevented such a move, Parsons believes fear of losing some "voice" may be chief among them: "There might be the fear of losing an independent voice, or would there be equal investment and recognition. There's a responsibility for the GAA to ensure this is a win-win for all three associations, same as when the GPA merged with the LGPA [last year]. Since we merged the women's voice has only been strengthened.