Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Anyone know when or if there will be a review of the rule changes they brought in? I don't mind the gk kick out rule not goin back to the keeper but the advance mark is the worst rule ever, gets on my nerves seeing players getting out and winning good ball and then the hand goes up and the game stops. They then take 2-3 toe taps and stick it over. I miss seeing a Canavan winning the ball and turning a man and swinging it over or heading for goal. I would do anything to see that rule being done away with.

Also, watching games recently, anyone think that the advantage rule is too long? I like it in soccer where it's pretty much If the next pass is messed up or not an instant advantage then it's brought back. In GAA you seem to get an advantage play a few passes and a shot and can still bring it back, nothing worse than a defending team busting your balls to block down an attack and then it gets brought back anyway for an easy score.

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2020, 12:46:24 PM
I've said it on here before but the advantage rule is wrong IMO.
It should be the advantage or the free, not both.

Giving the advantage, the ref has decided that the attacking team is in a better position than they would be if he gives the free. If they go on to balls that up, the chance should be gone in the same way that it would be if they missed the free.

If the attacking team would prefer the free, like the mark there should be some way of indicating this to the ref. Therefore, if the attacking team decides to play on then they've no complaints when it doesn't work out for them.

Agree completely, the advantage goes for ages, the amount of times a team is playin on and a defender makes a class block or tackle only for it to be brought back for a free 10 seconds ago for it to be tapped over is infuriating, if you play a pass or take a shot then you've tried to take advantage, just cause ya mess it up shouldn't get it brought back. A wee change should be one the fouled player plays the ball on the advantage is over, so if he plays a pass or takes a shot then the advantage is over

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2020, 03:20:07 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 28, 2020, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 28, 2020, 02:00:40 PM
Cork Kilkenny camogie match blown up more than 2 minutes early.

Grounds for appeal surely?
More than two minutes before the end of the regulation 60 minutes or more than two minutes before the end of the advertised amount of injury time?

4 minutes injury time allocated. Ref blew up around 61.50.

Referees discretion

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 29, 2020, 01:48:51 PM

More than two minutes before the end of the regulation 60 minutes or more than two minutes before the end of the advertised amount of injury time?

Referees discretion

It seems it was the RTE clock that was the issue yesterday. So that explains that.

I can understand the ref adding more time to the allocated injury time, to accommodate for injuries/subs etc, that happened during the injury time.

But if the timekeepers have stated that say, 5 minutes injury time should be played, and the ref blows it up after 2 minutes injury time, you think that's ok??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 29, 2020, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 29, 2020, 01:48:51 PM

Referees discretion

It seems it was the RTE clock that was the issue yesterday. So that explains that.

I can understand the ref adding more time to the allocated injury time, to accommodate for injuries/subs etc, that happened during the injury time.

But if the timekeepers have stated that say, 5 minutes injury time should be played, and the ref blows it up after 2 minutes injury time, you think that's ok??
Which timekeepers? RTE or the ref?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

A beef I have with how the advantage is often used-
Johnny is fouled about 60 m out, Ref sticks up the paw for advantage, Johnny runs on 15 m and is fouled again while Ref has the hand up.
Ref brings the play back for the original foul disadvantaging Johnny's team.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2020, 06:56:19 PM
He's asking can the ref just decide not to play the added time put up on the board by the sideline official, as could be understood from Baile Brigin's "referee's discretion" post.

I.e if 5 minutes goes up on the board, can the ref just wrap it up after 3?

To be clear, he is not suggesting that this happened in the camogie match but is asking it as a general question.

I imagine the sideline official gets the time to be added from the ref so really the question is - can he just change his mind and play less? It would be an odd thing to do.

If the ref says 5 minutes he must play a minimum of 5 minutes, that 5 minutes can be 8 or more depending what happens during the additional time.

The players will know what time is left, as they'd be asking flat out after the allocated time, and if the players know so will the managers.

There's only one watch (or two now as refs have) that counts and that's the refs.

Ladies football use The countdown clock, I'm personally not in favour of it tbh, not as a refs viewpoint as that would be one area made better, but if a team worked the clock to have injuries and the like it would be annoying as a player manager and supporter
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2020, 07:03:06 PM
A beef I have with how the advantage is often used-
Johnny is fouled about 60 m out, Ref sticks up the paw for advantage, Johnny runs on 15 m and is fouled again while Ref has the hand up.
Ref brings the play back for the original foul disadvantaging Johnny's team.

The advantage rule can work really well and before it most refs used the 'slow whistle' a player nowadays can cover up to 30 metres in five seconds if going full pelt with the ball, so the ref has some wriggle room to either allow advantage or if he's fouled again, say advantage over and blow for another free.  Meaning he can take it from a better position.

As for the other call on if he's taken a shot and missed during advantage then where's the advantage?

He's got 5 seconds, that's the rule, guy catches ball in square fouled but instinctively turns and shoots, missed or saved you're happy to play on?

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 29, 2020, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2020, 06:56:19 PM
He's asking can the ref just decide not to play the added time put up on the board by the sideline official, as could be understood from Baile Brigin's "referee's discretion" post.

I.e if 5 minutes goes up on the board, can the ref just wrap it up after 3?

To be clear, he is not suggesting that this happened in the camogie match but is asking it as a general question.

I imagine the sideline official gets the time to be added from the ref so really the question is - can he just change his mind and play less? It would be an odd thing to do.

If the ref says 5 minutes he must play a minimum of 5 minutes, that 5 minutes can be 8 or more depending what happens during the additional time.

The players will know what time is left, as they'd be asking flat out after the allocated time, and if the players know so will the managers.

There's only one watch (or two now as refs have) that counts and that's the refs.

Ladies football use The countdown clock, I'm personally not in favour of it tbh, not as a refs viewpoint as that would be one area made better, but if a team worked the clock to have injuries and the like it would be annoying as a player manager and supporter

Just stop the clock every time there's an injury, like they do in rugby....That'd be far better than what we currently have where the time is often not added on at the end

Milltown Row2

Before Covid and water breaks, all refs would stop the clock, so at the final short whistle it will say 30 mins, second half the time on watch will be 30 minutes...

Those that use two watches let the other watch run at the start of each half... just in case they forget to restart other watch :o

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on November 29, 2020, 07:28:31 PM
The advantage is where a team are in a better position to score than they would be if the free was given. A team can waste their advantage in the same way that they can waste their free but that's their own doing.
I don't think you should be given 2 shots for 1 foul.

that's prob the best way ive seen it put

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on November 30, 2020, 08:09:56 AM
The advantage is where a team are in a better position to score than they would be if the free was given. A team can waste their advantage in the same way that they can waste their free but that's their own doing.

I must try that at a game hardstation is at and see if the general consensus is the same among his clubmen

macdanger2

I actually think the advantage rule is good although 5s is perhaps too long, maybe 3s would be better as there are times when it seems to be very long. Anything that discourages foul play is surely a good thing

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2020, 08:51:30 AM

I must try that at a game hardstation is at and see if the general consensus is the same among his clubmen

Haha in fairness, I dont blame the refs its the rule, but I just think soccer have it better where the ref either plays advantage or gives the free, in GAA its pretty much both play the advantage and unless its a score then its brought back for a free. too long of an advantage is my issue, should be a phase, ie if I have the ball 30m out get fouled but play the ball to a man off the shoulder and he solos and shoots surely thats enough advantage, but in current rules if that happens and the player puts it wide or short the team gets a free, they are rewarded for actually making a mess of their advantage.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on November 30, 2020, 10:28:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 30, 2020, 08:51:30 AM

Haha in fairness, I dont blame the refs its the rule, but I just think soccer have it better where the ref either plays advantage or gives the free, in GAA its pretty much both play the advantage and unless its a score then its brought back for a free. too long of an advantage is my issue, should be a phase, ie if I have the ball 30m out get fouled but play the ball to a man off the shoulder and he solos and shoots surely thats enough advantage, but in current rules if that happens and the player puts it wide or short the team gets a free, they are rewarded for actually making a mess of their advantage.

If it's in a forward position the best advantage is a score, either free or from play. If he misses within the 5 seconds it's the rule