The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: snoopdog on January 25, 2019, 11:27:30 AM
I would have voted SF in the past. But they have done nothing for anyone in the last few years.
If The SDLP had Claire Hanna as a leader then they may well start to make gains. Joining with FF i think is not the answer.
Sf sit back while health education etc is collapsing around them all just to get one over the DUP. Its fine for mary lou she has no family in the North. I live in Dublin now but i see with elderly parents what the outcome of this sf dup stand off is. Its time for a change from both sides.

Can you explain that?

My reading of the current scenario is that SF made concessions and came to a deal with the DUP, which was then veto'ed by 'shadowy forces' behind the DUP. What would you have SF do? The ball clearly isn't in their court - they don't even have anyone to negotiate with, as the DUP don't appear to have any power to agree a deal!!

bigarsedkeeper

I would have voted SF in the past. But they have done nothing for anyone in the last few years.
If The SDLP had Claire Hanna as a leader then they may well start to make gains. Joining with FF i think is not the answer.
Sf sit back while health education etc is collapsing around them all just to get one over the DUP. Its fine for mary lou she has no family in the North. I live in Dublin now but i see with elderly parents what the outcome of this sf dup stand off is. Its time for a change from both sides.
I think the SDLP still have a few decent politicians out there but the damage done by the years of Dr Death (McDonnell) and Ritchie leaves them way back. Hanna is one and I don't think Eastwood is that bad. They have made out to be west brits by SF now and the fact that they were seen to have delivered nothing in the years they had the majority has left them on the outside.

Will SF be accused of the same in future years - Stormont as good as closed down for the foreseeable future with the Brexit issues and there is a genuine threat of a border in Ireland again. SF didn't cause that but they were in the front seat during it.

marty34

Quote from: haranguerer on January 25, 2019, 02:54:05 PM

Can you explain that?

My reading of the current scenario is that SF made concessions and came to a deal with the DUP, which was then veto'ed by 'shadowy forces' behind the DUP. What would you have SF do? The ball clearly isn't in their court - they don't even have anyone to negotiate with, as the DUP don't appear to have any power to agree a deal!!

Mc Guinness tried very hard to make things work - for the betterment of everyone, regardless of who they were or where they lived.  The DUP did everything in their power to walk all over nationalists.  The list is endless. Was so happy when Mc Guinness pulled the pin on Stormont to be honest.  There was no power sharing at that time.  The DUP still have the 1920 mentalitybut times have changed.  No return to Stormont for me.

Seany

Heard Colm Eastwood on Radio Ulster yesterday morning saying he is ready to go into Stormont and get the institutions up and running again. Interesting perspective there. I wonder which of the important basic, reasonable measures that SF are looking for would the SDLP relinquish for that goal?  Irish Language act? Marriage Equality? SF voters gave the party a very clear message that the policy of appeasing the DUP and giving them their way was not going to be tolerated any more. In fact, in the two elections during which time SF were in power with the DUP, the entire nationalist vote went down because they decided not to vote for either party. Colm Eastwood is totally out of touch if he thinks that the position of northern nationalists has changed one iota from that position. In fact, if anything, the Brexit thing has probably entrenched us even more. The DUP went against the advice of all the other parties in NI, the entire business community and every analysis from normal rational people and voted against the Backstop which would have been a genuine financial dynamo for this unworkable entity of NO, but they turned against it, despite knowing a majority here voted to Remain. None of this is evidence of new, reasonable thinking within that party which would make them amenable to nationalist aspirations if Stormont were to return. In fact, every time you watch their interviews, it just entrenches us even more. Colm Eastwood stating he is prepared to walk into Stormont with them without stating under which conditions, is further evidence of his waffle type answers and why the SDLP is dead in the water.

Kidder81

SF were quite prepared to sacrifice ILA & marriage equality, if you remember correctly

Seany

DOn't think they were. there was a choreography agreed that would see both of these introduced in time through the ending of the petition of concern and the fact that the ILA is a Westminster piece of legislation.

Kidder81

I don't know anyone that thinks marriage equality is enough not to have a functioning government, SF know it isn't too, they were content without marriage equality or an ILA for years, marriage equality is just yet another cause that SF aligned themselves with.

haranguerer

Standard exchange

'SF should do whatever it takes to get back into government'

'well, they did make a lot of compromises to reach an agreement with the DUP, but it was then veto'ed by others, so the balls not really in their court'

'ha, SF obviously don't care about any of those issues they were going to compromise on'

'Well, they do, but they were willing to compromise like you said'

'...................none of those issues matter anyway'

::) ::) ::)

trailer

SF do not care one iota for an ILA or marriage equality and if you think they do you're a fool. This is about playing to the Felons club who have seen the DUP run rings around an inept SF leadership and have simply called time because the political ability doesn't exist in the party to take on the DUP.

imtommygunn

I am not a sf fan by any stretch but I really don't think the dup have been running rings round them. All the dups "ducks" have lined up but they will come unstuck soon enough.

I would agree that I don't think they care about an ila or marriage equality mind you. They probably are the right things to take them on at though.

yellowcard

The only people the DUP have been running rings around are the people in the north whose livelihoods they are treating with complete contempt.

RealSpiritof98

MLA Claire Hanna seems to have deleted all SDLP mentions from social media, where next for what seems like a very competent politician?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 09, 2019, 11:55:06 PM
MLA Claire Hanna seems to have deleted all SDLP mentions from social media, where next for what seems like a very competent politician?

Alliance Party.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 10, 2019, 07:32:53 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on February 09, 2019, 11:55:06 PM

Alliance Party.

Alliance party would be extremely risky. They already have ex uup Bradshaw as an mla they wont get enough votes for 2 even with Hanna bringing some personal vote with her. Likewise an independent is risky for the same reasons. All academic since stormont isnt going to be up and running again anytime soon. I think Hanna made the mistake of being so vocal. Fair play to her for sticking to her principles but she has kind of cornered herself  she could have just said she wasnt happy and left it at that. It could be yrs if ever before sdlp candidates have to stand under FF banner.

Jeepers Creepers