Films and TV shows which will be banned

Started by Milltown Row2, June 10, 2020, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on June 11, 2020, 11:44:50 AM
Roots has slavery in it, so it has to be banned.
Likewise Schindler's List has clear anti semitism.

Oh boy. I've seen some stupid comments in my day but that takes the cake.

Milltown Row2

Can we ban anything whitey has posted as it's an offence to support pussy grabbing presidents?

Hopefully there will be more marching at theatres and cinemas like the good old Free p's back in the day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2020, 06:11:41 PM
Can we ban anything whitey has posted as it's an offence to support pussy grabbing presidents?

Hopefully there will be more marching at theatres and cinemas like the good old Free p's back in the day

If whitey is to be banned, surely it will be because of his username?

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2020, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:27:38 PM
I propose banning the works of George Bernard Shaw  given his support for Stalin (who murdered tens of millions of people)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/opinion/why-george-bernard-shaw-had-a-crush-on-stalin.amp.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1433323/How-Shaw-defended-Stalins-mass-killings.html

Are the works themselves offensive?

I don't know but why would you promote and memorialize someone who supported such a vile regime

Ok, so given your slippery slope ridiculing, what do you think is an appropriate response to art, whether it is racist or bigoted in itself, or produced by a racist or bigot? Monuments to confederate general, slave-dealers, white supremacists and so on?

You seem adamant that if society moves even an inch on this that there will be no end to it.

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 11, 2020, 04:06:30 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 11, 2020, 12:44:55 PM
I'm really intrigued by the amount of people here who have unironically used the line "where does it stop?".

It's like they cannot whatsoever comprehend the difference between deliberately using racist tropes to ridicule black people, and accurate depictions of racism which are an integral or perfectly legitimate part of a story.

I largely agree with Sid on this, it should be possible to discuss whether or not something is offensive or not without getting into ridiculous whataboutery. I personally don't think a lot of these things should be banned and the idea of having a notice at the beginning of the films seems like a good one.

That said, I'm not the one being portrayed in a negative light in most of these films - if the people who are being portrayed in a negative manner consider something in a film to be offensive then I might change my opinion on it.
It's much easier for not very bright people to argue against a straw man than to argue actual issues.

The right-wing culture war humanity is under attack from is based on only ever arguing against straw men.

The straw men are designed to evoke a visceral reaction from straight, white men that their very existence is under attack.

The straw men are designed to destroy critical thinking and make everything a tribal war based on fake anger and offence on the part of the right-wing culture warrior.

The right-wing culture war and its straw men are designed to turn any assertion of rights on the part of traditionally marginalised groups in society, into an imagined "attack" on the straight, white male, ie. it deliberately distorts reality, in fact it turns reality completely on its head so that right-wing cultuure warriors are fooled into believing the opposite of reality.

The attack on so callled "political correctness" and the line "where does it stop?" are classic examples of this right-wing culture war fake victimhood.

Quite the neat trick the designers of this right-wing culture war have pulled off, really, and thoroughly depressing how many people are fooled by it.
why don't you give us a list of movies , books ,tv shows , statues that are offensive? We can argue each one .

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on June 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PM

A man near us has a dog called Blackie.

omaghjoe

Surely Gladiator is way worse than GWTW?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 11, 2020, 06:57:31 PM

My first dog was called blackie! He turned grey very quickly but the name stayed  ;D

We were picketed every night
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2020, 06:26:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 11, 2020, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2020, 04:27:38 PM
I propose banning the works of George Bernard Shaw  given his support for Stalin (who murdered tens of millions of people)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/opinion/why-george-bernard-shaw-had-a-crush-on-stalin.amp.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1433323/How-Shaw-defended-Stalins-mass-killings.html

Are the works themselves offensive?

I don't know but why would you promote and memorialize someone who supported such a vile regime

Ok, so given your slippery slope ridiculing, what do you think is an appropriate response to art, whether it is racist or bigoted in itself, or produced by a racist or bigot? Monuments to confederate general, slave-dealers, white supremacists and so on?

You seem adamant that if society moves even an inch on this that there will be no end to it.

So on the Mayo blog a few years ago, someone felt "excluded" by a Dia is Muire Linn on the crest.....should the crest be changed to reflect a new more diverse Ireland?

What about a club named after a Saint.....well if I'm a Muslim, a Hindu or an atheist.....I'm going to feel excluded too, so let's add them to the list

Che Guevara-tortured, murdered and imprisoned gay people. Let's ban the selling of tee shirts and posters bearing his image.

Town of Lucan.....re name it. Lord Lucan was a tyrant who let tens of thousands of his remnants starve

McBrides football club in Chicago....named after a Boer General (I believe).....rename it

Michael Cusack.....accused of being an anti Semite.....rename the Cusack Stand

Casement Park.....very compelling evidence that Casement was a paedophile.....rename it

Any pitch, team or competition named after an IRA/INLA member......rename them

If John Mitchell was a famous author would you be in favor of honoring and celebrating his work in the same way we do George Bernard Shaw?

Michael D Higgins-Eulogized Castro....make him recant and apologize given Castro's horrendous record on human rights

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 11, 2020, 06:57:31 PM

Neighbours of ours had a dog called Darky. Another had one called Sambo.

Now that I think of it, a sambo is still a sandwich around here.

Gmac

One of the statues being pulled down fell on someone last night and the guy is in critical condition, statues of black civil war soldiers and Lincoln are being vandalized, not very well educated activists.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gmac on June 11, 2020, 07:41:10 PM
One of the statues being pulled down fell on someone last night and the guy is in critical condition, statues of black civil war soldiers and Lincoln are being vandalized, not very well educated activists.
Id have watched the rioters in West Belfast for years during the troubles, they weren't educated also, watch a guy hurl a empty keg at a Saracen and it bounced off it and hit his mate!

Watched a guy throw a petrol bomb but as he lifted the arm to throw he poured the petrol over himself and light his body up. I could go on, rioters are nuts.

Why would you expect it to be any different now?

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2020, 03:13:32 PM
Will the pantos be done away with?

No, but from now on they'll have men pretending to be women to be more inclusive.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B