Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: bennydorano on September 12, 2022, 05:53:58 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 12, 2022, 04:55:14 PM
Ukraine is being helped a lot in terms of arms resupply by the West. Maybe this is making a difference.
Maybe??
the USA and the eu are involved in a proxy war against Russia they are arming the Ukrainian troops and paying zelensky to keep it going, how it will end up I don't know but I'm sure it will be a huge mess and won't be resolved for years .

bennydorano

Quote from: Gmac on September 13, 2022, 08:26:45 PM
Ukraine is being helped a lot in terms of arms resupply by the West. Maybe this is making a difference.
Maybe??
the USA and the eu are involved in a proxy war against Russia they are arming the Ukrainian troops and paying zelensky to keep it going, how it will end up I don't know but I'm sure it will be a huge mess and won't be resolved for years .
True. There's only one person responsible for rolling the tanks over a border tho.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on September 12, 2022, 08:29:33 PM
Nobody knows how long the war is going to last. The big powers limit the amount of help they will provide because they don't want to go to war against Russia.
Ukraine wants more help . It's a mess.

To be honest, there isn't much more they can do without pulling the trigger themselves.

Its not like they can just give them 5000 tanks and say "there ye go lads, enjoy".

Modern military equipment is extremely high maintenance - and you need to be able to fix complex issues quickly in the field.

Artillery pieces or self propelled guns are away from the front and are *relatively* easy to work with - there isn't the same pressure on to fix before a Russian tank comes out over the next hill and blows you up.

Ukraine are and will continue to transition toward NATO equipment, but it just takes time to get their people up to speed on how to run them. Time that unfortunately is in very short supply.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Gmac on September 13, 2022, 08:26:45 PM
Maybe??

They really didn't have a choice, and continue to not have any choice.

Roll over for Putin in Ukraine and in 50 years time*, students in history classes would be wondering why they learning nothing from Chamberlain.

*Assuming that the next war Putin would have inevitably started after being encouraged by the West's inaction followed didn't go nuclear.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Putin tore the arse out of it. He judged that the West was weak after the Afghanistan pullout. He decided that nobody would help Ukraine, same as in 2014 .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

It seems some been happy the Ukraine roll over, haven't learned the lessons of Russia from Pre Ww"2 rolling into Finland and Poland when a gap opened for them. Same applies here, they would roll the whole to Poland given half a chance. And we know what that lead to last time.

burdizzo

The idea that Putin wants to steamroll his way all over eastern Europe is put out there to justify war-mongering. In fact, the west is as culpable in all this as Russia and has been playing power games in that neck of the woods for a long time. The West sponsored the coup in 2014. Russia saw this and decided they had to do 'something'. And they did...
I don't understand why some people think Russia are still 'the commies', or why Ukranian blood and soil nationalism is to be backed to the hilt, whilst such instincts in western Europe are decried as 'far-right'. In any case, the Ukrainians and the Russians are both essentially fighting for values that are not 'ours'. It should be none of our business, but it is because of... resources? What else?! Can anyone honestly say there'd be such a shit-show over, say, Finland?! Who would be bothered?!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: burdizzo on September 13, 2022, 10:40:04 PM
The idea that Putin wants to steamroll his way all over eastern Europe is put out there to justify war-mongering. In fact, the west is as culpable in all this as Russia and has been playing power games in that neck of the woods for a long time. The West sponsored the coup in 2014. Russia saw this and decided they had to do 'something'. And they did...
I don't understand why some people think Russia are still 'the commies', or why Ukranian blood and soil nationalism is to be backed to the hilt, whilst such instincts in western Europe are decried as 'far-right'. In any case, the Ukrainians and the Russians are both essentially fighting for values that are not 'ours'. It should be none of our business, but it is because of... resources? What else?! Can anyone honestly say there'd be such a shit-show over, say, Finland?! Who would be bothered?!

Is this sarcasm?

bennydorano

Geopolitical games are as old as time itself and proximity matters. Russia have been involved in more than their fair share (Syria Chechnya, Georgia /South Ossetia in very recent memory) rolling your tanks across the border crosses a line.  Their bluff was called.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on September 13, 2022, 05:48:08 PM
https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2022/0913/1322098-ukraine-latest/

Ukraine has vowed to liberate all of its territory after driving back Russian forces in the northeast of the country.
Kyiv has also called on the West to speed up deliveries of weapons to back its advance.

That'll be some achievement if they retake Crimea. It'll be the end of Putin, and the world will become even more dangerous since there's not a clear line of succession in the Kremlin. Putin's convinced of his own invincibility and seems to have developed a bunker mentality. When he can't keep reality out any longer, it's going to be hard on him, and christ knows what he'll do. My money would be on there being some general refusing to follow his orders at some point, facilitating a coup, and maybe even trying to take Putin out, Stauffenberg style. I wonder if the Russian people will wake up to the fact that they've been lied to all this time. But as you can see from certain contributors to this board, when people get radicalised by a constant diet of fascist propaganda, it's hard to get reality through to them.

What then for Russia? Disintegration into independent republics led by strongmen? The nuclear aspect makes this a frightening scenario.

burdizzo

You know what they say? "It's dangerous to believe your own propaganda."

bennydorano

Russia's budget surplus evaporates as energy revenues shrink
August figures suggest sharp drop in receipts from oil and gas exports

https://www.ft.com/content/d9cdc51f-5fe3-4f4a-b0e8-054ef21a2a6e

Milltown Row2

Its a bit like a siege at the minute, they gathered around the walled city and waited till they ran out of food and water and then marched in victorious..

Who will run out of money first?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on September 14, 2022, 01:20:16 PM
Russia's budget surplus evaporates as energy revenues shrink
August figures suggest sharp drop in receipts from oil and gas exports

https://www.ft.com/content/d9cdc51f-5fe3-4f4a-b0e8-054ef21a2a6e
That link requires a  FT subscription.