Smartphones

Started by tintin25, March 26, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2013, 09:08:40 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on November 19, 2013, 09:01:17 PM
Top end htc lg Samsung and Iphones are mad prices

Nexus 4 would be a quare bargain or check out this new motorola moto g,

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/motorola-moto-g-payg-phone-4-5-720p-screen-android-4-3-quad-core-1-2ghz-8gb-storage-1709482

Nexus 4 is a great bargain. You can get one for about £200 but it is unlocked so can be used with any network so no £30 a month for 24 years. I'm in the south and with meteor I can get a €20 a month "contract" with meteor and i can opt out at any time. It works out way cheaper than your typical Iphone deal in the phone shop and it is a class phone.

Nexus 4 doesn't support LTE in case that's a concern for you.

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on November 19, 2013, 10:00:47 PM
Three's your daddy for smartphones on pre-paid if you have good coverage - 20 Euro top-ups net you near-unlimited data to surf the interwebs.

Three is v good alright, €20 / month on PAYG for unlimited data, free texts & free weekend calls. Call costs during the week are similar to other PAYG providers I think

BenDover

Moto G getting good reviews, has anyone got one? Thinking of getting the wife one for Christmas her Galaxy Ace is on its last legs.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on November 20, 2013, 08:25:29 AM
Moto G getting good reviews, has anyone got one? Thinking of getting the wife one for Christmas her Galaxy Ace is on its last legs.
What did she make of the Galaxy Ace? My mother needs a new phone on a cheap contract and wants a smartphone. This seems to have decent deals with Carphone Warehouse etc.

deiseach

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 20, 2013, 12:33:45 AM
Three's your daddy for smartphones on pre-paid if you have good coverage - 20 Euro top-ups net you near-unlimited data to surf the interwebs.

Three is v good alright, €20 / month on PAYG for unlimited data, free texts & free weekend calls. Call costs during the week are similar to other PAYG providers I think

If at the end of the month/30 days you still have your €20, what happens to it? Does it vanish or does your data usage start to eat into it?

BenDover

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 20, 2013, 08:31:53 AM
Quote from: BenDover on November 20, 2013, 08:25:29 AM
What did she make of the Galaxy Ace? My mother needs a new phone on a cheap contract and wants a smartphone. This seems to have decent deals with Carphone Warehouse etc.

its a good phone nearly 3 years old and taken plenty of knocks and falls - still going! Only downside is the internal memory available for downloading apps is crap

Syferus

Quote from: deiseach on November 20, 2013, 09:07:15 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 20, 2013, 12:33:45 AM

If at the end of the month/30 days you still have your €20, what happens to it? Does it vanish or does your data usage start to eat into it?

They send you texts if an allowance is running low and just stops working on all sites but Three.ie when it does. Maybe I changed a setting on My3 but it's been so long I forget if I did or didn't. Definitely behaves that way on my device.

deiseach

Quote from: Syferus on November 20, 2013, 06:29:11 PM
They send you texts if an allowance is running low and just stops working on all sites but Three.ie when it does. Maybe I changed a setting on My3 but it's been so long I forget if I did or didn't. Definitely behaves that way on my device.

Makes sense. I wouldn't spend more than €100 a year on credit so I was hoping to top up by €20 and freewheel to the next top up. Which I suppose you can do, if you don't mind having no mobile internet, which would defeat the purpose of going to 3. Might still get the Motorola Moto G and see how it goes with Vodafone. Argos are going to be stocking it for €215 which is crazy cheap for what is on offer.

Syferus

You can buy 500mb data add-ons on 3 for 5 Euro too. If I have a lot of credit left I just get one of those to use some of the credit. 90% of the reason I get a top-up is just to get the 'free' data at this point.

BenDover

for any O2 customers in the north, try this text christmas to 50202 for a free £20

Nally Stand

Sounded like there had to be a catch so googled it and there are several catches. According to O2, it's only for people who have bought one of the following phones, and did so between 7 November 2013 and 24 December 2013:

Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
Samsung Galaxy Fame
Sony Experia M
Sony Experia J
Nokia Lumia 625
Nokia Lumia 520
BlackBerry 9720
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

BenDover

well must be worth a try cuz the wife has a 3year old Samsung Galaxy Ace and she texted it this morning and got this replay "O2:You've opted to get your Christmas bonus through O2 Rewards. Thanks. Santa should drop the £20 into your account after 31/01. More at o2.co.uk/christmas"

Nally Stand

Nice one. Nothing to lose then!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore