Smartphones

Started by tintin25, March 26, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Lads,

Been looking to move onto a contract phone for a while now - any recommendations or even good deals on pay as you go smartphones (would be willing to pay between £150-200)?

Also, has anyone ever had any bother with the o2 credit check? I tried to get an iphone 4 initially, but was asked to fork out a £300 deposit! Find this hard to understand, considering I have never owned a credit card and am not in any sort of debt - was thinking it may be to do with my home address which doesn't have a hse number as such, cause it's in the country?

AQMP

Have had trouble with O2 and my address despite giving them 2 variations.  Vodafone found it no probs.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tintin25 on March 26, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

Lads,

Been looking to move onto a contract phone for a while now - any recommendations or even good deals on pay as you go smartphones (would be willing to pay between £150-200)?

Also, has anyone ever had any bother with the o2 credit check? I tried to get an iphone 4 initially, but was asked to fork out a £300 deposit! Find this hard to understand, considering I have never owned a credit card and am not in any sort of debt - was thinking it may be to do with my home address which doesn't have a hse number as such, cause it's in the country?

your lack of credit could be the issue, had the same problem with Mrs BC but was able to get one in my name for her no bother as I had an account already.  Give candyman a shout, this is his business and should be able to get you sorted.

aontroim

Any phone gurus out there give an unbiased opinion on iPhone 4s v Samsung Galaxy S III?  Have had a look at the early reviews on the Galaxy and it looks like a better phone to me - has anyone managed to get a look at one or is it too early still?

thewobbler

I don't believe there's such a thing as an unbiased opinion aontroim.

Phones are of those things that tend to turn everyone into a fanboy. Having taken their time to research and choose their phone, very few people will tell you anything other than it's the best thing ever.

By the way my iPhone 4S is superb. But so was my iPhone 3G. The only genuine improvement between the two is that it's hard not to take a good photo with the 4S, while it was hard to take a good photo with the 3G. If you're not into photos, I wouldn't bother with the newer model.

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on May 12, 2012, 05:03:23 PM
I don't believe there's such a thing as an unbiased opinion aontroim.

Phones are of those things that tend to turn everyone into a fanboy. Having taken their time to research and choose their phone, very few people will tell you anything other than it's the best thing ever.

By the way my iPhone 4S is superb. But so was my iPhone 3G. The only genuine improvement between the two is that it's hard not to take a good photo with the 4S, while it was hard to take a good photo with the 3G. If you're not into photos, I wouldn't bother with the newer model.

The Galaxy III may be the best phone about as it is the most recent of the two, the next IPhone will then be the best about. If you aren't in any particular hurry wait until June as there is talk of an announcement of a new IPhone.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lurganblue

I'm hoping it is announced in June with a July release date as my 4G contract is up. If it is later in the year I'll probably go either onto simplicity or get the galaxy note

Gazzler

I have the Google branded Samsung Galaxy Nexus, had a iPhone 4 but sold it on eBay.
Love the Nexus.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gazzler on May 12, 2012, 06:13:32 PM
I have the Google branded Samsung Galaxy Nexus, had a iPhone 4 but sold it on eBay.
Love the Nexus.

Same here, got one a few months ago and its my favourite and I've used Iphone, HTC Design and the Galaxy S. But is horses for courses I suppose.

DickyRock

I had an iPhone once my contract was up I switched to the Galaxy SII. My honest opinion is that both phones are great. They both have have their issues. At this stage of the game it's just a personal choice and you'll not go wrong with either.

amallon

I had the iPhone 4 before changing to the Galaxy S2.  I'd prefer the bigger screen on the S2 but I think this is something apple are rumoured to be fixing with the iPhone 5.  The Galaxy S3 looks a great phone.  My contract is up in July but I might sit tight until the iPhone 5 comes out in October before changing to see how it stacks up against the S3.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Sea The Stars

Does anyone know the best value smartphones on the market at the minute?

I hear a lot about iPhones and Galaxy's but honestly not up-to-date on it at all. An iPhone 5S is €199 to buy plus €35 per month for 2 years - is that good value? Considering it's only on the market and it's nearly Christmas time, are you likely to see that drop after Christmas?

Would anyone know the best smartphone for a novice and the provider (e.g. 3, o2, Vodafone, Metoer) to get it with? Seems the traditional Nokia's have gone out of fashion altogether?

J OGorman

Top end htc lg Samsung and Iphones are mad prices

Nexus 4 would be a quare bargain or check out this new motorola moto g,

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/motorola-moto-g-payg-phone-4-5-720p-screen-android-4-3-quad-core-1-2ghz-8gb-storage-1709482

mylestheslasher

Quote from: J OGorman on November 19, 2013, 09:01:17 PM
Top end htc lg Samsung and Iphones are mad prices

Nexus 4 would be a quare bargain or check out this new motorola moto g,

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/motorola-moto-g-payg-phone-4-5-720p-screen-android-4-3-quad-core-1-2ghz-8gb-storage-1709482

Nexus 4 is a great bargain. You can get one for about £200 but it is unlocked so can be used with any network so no £30 a month for 24 years. I'm in the south and with meteor I can get a €20 a month "contract" with meteor and i can opt out at any time. It works out way cheaper than your typical Iphone deal in the phone shop and it is a class phone.

Syferus

Three's your daddy for smartphones on pre-paid if you have good coverage - 20 Euro top-ups net you near-unlimited data to surf the interwebs.