Derry looking for new miracle worker - sorry Manager

Started by lynchbhoy, September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Well every other county is posting theirs...

Required,New Manager to
Manage, Coach, cajole, cuddle,molly coddle, mother,  kick ass, educate, put manners on, take no s**t, discipline, forge interpersonal links,  encourage , grow team ethic, promote trust with people from outside their own parish etc etc

a group of serial underachieving players that play as individuals and will fight with each other at the drop of a hat require a manager, with Jesus-like/kofi Annan-like ablities of intercession and mediation initially , but with massive football tactics and appetite for progression to get these people talking to each other and then playing 'INTELLIGENT' football  as a unit rathe than passing only to their relations or club mates on the side.

Derry county board will understand if the candidate would prefer to go sort out the problems between Israel and Palestine instead for an easier life.

DuffleKing

under achieving players?

i guess everyone thinks he has the prettiest wife at home

JMohan

Who's that dude that did the Lazarus trick? Jaysus is it?
Is he free?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Larry Duff

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 08, 2010, 10:11:20 AM

Required,New Manager to
Manage, Coach, cajole, cuddle,molly coddle, mother,  kick ass, educate, put manners on, take no s**t, discipline, forge interpersonal links,  encourage , grow team ethic, promote trust with people from outside their own parish etc etc

a group of serial underachieving players that play as individuals and will fight with each other at the drop of a hat require a manager, with Jesus-like/kofi Annan-like ablities of intercession and mediation initially , but with massive football tactics and appetite for progression to get these people talking to each other and then playing 'INTELLIGENT' football  as a unit rathe than passing only to their relations or club mates on the side.

Derry county board will understand if the candidate would prefer to go sort out the problems between Israel and Palestine instead for an easier life.

This seems to contradict the thread title. Miracle needed? Without doubt!  Underachieving? Not so sure

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Larry Duff on September 08, 2010, 10:48:34 AM

Required,New Manager to

This seems to contradict the thread title. Miracle needed? Without doubt!  Underachieving? Not so sure
down to your own perspective.
I'd be of an opinion that Derry have enough top level players with a lot of decent players in order to create a good team able to compete for Sam, maybe not win it - but as seen thisyear, a bit of team ethic and structure about your play allied with form and you can get to AI finals/semi finals !

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 08, 2010, 10:54:48 AM

Required,New Manager to

I'd be of an opinion that Derry have enough top level players with a lot of decent players in order to create a good team able to compete for Sam, maybe not win it - but as seen thisyear, a bit of team ethic and structure about your play allied with form and you can get to AI finals/semi finals !
I agree with you Lynchboy on the underachieving tag.
Certainly.
However, for next year ... unless he's Marty McFly and owns an DeLorean you'll struggle as there's been some serious damage done to the county set up in the past 12 months with the Bradleys and co.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 08, 2010, 10:37:02 AM
Lynchbhoy, are things that bad in Derry?
I believe so, my Knockmore friend!
Various Derry managers have come and gone - some had some semblence of success elsewhere in intercounty football.
The Derry championship winning clubs normally do well in provincial championship
We have had a lot of good (some all Ireland winning) minor sides with good u21 teams too - that also seemed to mirror their senior counterparts in making a balls of their championship games

so to me, there is a problem with discipline, respect, mentality, team ethic if not work ethic  etc
etc in Derry.
Add to that the pathalogical hatred between clubs that causes unease between players on the squad or between players and (some of all of) management team.

its f**king crazy and to me its cart before the horse.

At least Corks striking players gave notice that they weren't going to play or perform.. !!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: JMohan on September 08, 2010, 11:14:06 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 08, 2010, 10:54:48 AM

Required,New Manager to

I agree with you Lynchboy on the underachieving tag.
Certainly.
However, for next year ... unless he's Marty McFly and owns an DeLorean you'll struggle as there's been some serious damage done to the county set up in the past 12 months with the Bradleys and co.
well improvement is all I would want for a start...lets face it , things couldnt be much worse...
i'd accept it if I thought we had no talent and were just commplete sihte.
ButI dont believe that is the case - esp from a tteam that has been div 1 in a lot of recent years and has been hard enugh to beat. This year we were woeful and div 4 sides could have beaten us !

shawshank

I believe that Derry will struggle for a while before its improves, and i base this on a number of things
1. We don't have the players, and I can't see how anyone who has knowledge on derry football could argue differently. The quality of club football has seriously declined, particularly in the past three/four years and its now that it is beginning to actually show.
2. We have had no undergae success for a long time, and especially at u21, which is more reflective of how many players are actually close to senior county ability. Down are in an senior final, did it come from no where, bollox, they have won Ulster u21 in 05, 08, 09 being closely beaten in the All Ireland final last year. Pete Mc Grath knew Down were turning the corner and explains why he went for the job. Kildare won the u21's under Glen Ryan a few years ago, in other words evidence of a number of teams or quality players emerging. derry are not Kerry, we need successful underage teams to allow us to have a successful senior team
3. can any Derry poster tell me who might be our full back, please do, cause I can't see it, who is our midfilders, don't talk about the current one's, there not good enough for a winning Ulster c'ship team, full of effort but the quality is tripe, none can score, and that element mising from midfield play is really hurting Derry. Perhaps Kevein O'Neill may step up, and i do hope so, but I serious doubt his phyically strenght to play in this area never mind the desire
4. Our senior players ie Mc Cloy, Doherty, Muldoon, paddy Bradley are all over the hill and are on the downward slope, there peformances with the exception of muldoon have been consistantly poor the past 2 yrs in the big games Derry have played. Worst still is that none of them are leaders on the pitch (Muldoon excluded), and when derry need that player to step up in the games they are chasing, bang they are no where to be seen.
5. In the absense of obvious leaders at this minute, who do we look to, Gerard O'kane, a player who was made captain this yr and it looks like he struggled with the responsibility. Eoin Brdaley, phew. Barry Mc Goldrick (possibly), Mark Lynch, maybe, this has been his best year in a Derry jersry.
6. We have not put back to back wins in the Ulster c'ship in tens years, that tells anyone with half a brain that the players are not good enough, even with a bad manager, the law of averages will have pervailed to break that duct over a ten year period

In summary my assessment maybe pessimistic, but Lynchboy is corrct when he says that we very close to the teams in dividion one in result terms. He is wrong in saying division 4 teams could have beaten us, we lost in the c'ship to Kildare, in a game where derry created a serious amount of untaken scoring chances,so perhaps there is more potential than i think, but I will go back to point 3 and 4.

I would really like to see Brennan get the job.

Lets have a decent debate on this as the derry thread is now useless for debate. Glad you started this on a new thread.

J OGorman

Quote from: shawshank on September 08, 2010, 11:53:13 AM
I believe that Derry will struggle for a while before its improves, and i base this on a number of things
1. We don't have the players, and I can't see how anyone who has knowledge on derry football could argue differently. The quality of club football has seriously declined, particularly in the past three/four years and its now that it is beginning to actually show.
2. We have had no undergae success for a long time, and especially at u21, which is more reflective of how many players are actually close to senior county ability. Down are in an senior final, did it come from no where, bollox, they have won Ulster u21 in 05, 08, 09 being closely beaten in the All Ireland final last year. Pete Mc Grath knew Down were turning the corner and explains why he went for the job. Kildare won the u21's under Glen Ryan a few years ago, in other words evidence of a number of teams or quality players emerging. derry are not Kerry, we need successful underage teams to allow us to have a successful senior team
3. can any Derry poster tell me who might be our full back, please do, cause I can't see it, who is our midfilders, don't talk about the current one's, there not good enough for a winning Ulster c'ship team, full of effort but the quality is tripe, none can score, and that element mising from midfield play is really hurting Derry. Perhaps Kevein O'Neill may step up, and i do hope so, but I serious doubt his phyically strenght to play in this area never mind the desire
4. Our senior players ie Mc Cloy, Doherty, Muldoon, paddy Bradley are all over the hill and are on the downward slope, there peformances with the exception of muldoon have been consistantly poor the past 2 yrs in the big games Derry have played. Worst still is that none of them are leaders on the pitch (Muldoon excluded), and when derry need that player to step up in the games they are chasing, bang they are no where to be seen.
5. In the absense of obvious leaders at this minute, who do we look to, Gerard O'kane, a player who was made captain this yr and it looks like he struggled with the responsibility. Eoin Brdaley, phew. Barry Mc Goldrick (possibly), Mark Lynch, maybe, this has been his best year in a Derry jersry.
6. We have not put back to back wins in the Ulster c'ship in tens years, that tells anyone with half a brain that the players are not good enough, even with a bad manager, the law of averages will have pervailed to break that duct over a ten year period

In summary my assessment maybe pessimistic, but Lynchboy is corrct when he says that we very close to the teams in dividion one in result terms. He is wrong in saying division 4 teams could have beaten us, we lost in the c'ship to Kildare, in a game where derry created a serious amount of untaken scoring chances,so perhaps there is more potential than i think, but I will go back to point 3 and 4.

I would really like to see Brennan get the job.

Lets have a decent debate on this as the derry thread is now useless for debate. Glad you started this on a new thread.

i would, sadly, agree with the above. but as lynchbhoy said, a well gelled team under good management can go places. It'll take some effort and man management to achieve as Derry football is like a soap opera a times, mostly in the news or being talked about for the wrong reasons. The under age setup @ club level beggers belief. Our future Tohills, McKeevers, Scullions are being starved of football. I am out of underage a very long time, but during the season, every week from U12 to minors, we had a game, and loved it. If this continues, more and more will be lost to soccer / rugby / samba summer camps..Im not against any of these sports or youngsters playing them all, what i am saying is, these other codes will have the kids love and passion, football will have lost it

Hopefully Brennan gets the job.

lynchbhoy

Good post shawshank.
I fully agree that we have not had underage succes, but I think that the u21's have been balled up by administration or something as we have had a few good minor sides that played in true Derry fasion in a succession of u21 championships (Derry fashion - ie underachieved or shot ourselves in the foot).

So somewhere between minor (after having a few fairly good sides all the way up from underage to minor) we turn to rubbish at u21 ...
something is wrong in the system and JOG points out the flaw in our underage game scheduling.

I agree with JOG, we dont need to have a team of anthony tohills to succeed either.
A few stand out players with industrious intelligent footballers is what we need.
there are a couple of candidates for the positions questioned.
For Midfield we can try and develop O'Neill , O'Boyle, Johnny Bradley, Mark Lynch and Blaine Gormley. I believe we have enough Talent in attack and more coming through to remain competitive. Defence is the question, but with Pinney, GOK or a couple of others that given time and a few games of a run beside a steady defence, we might find this is our answer. Remember we didnt have a top rated full back when winning the AI !

Hard work, structure and intelligence implemented into our brain dead method of play is what we need.
For all Tyrones underage conveyor belt of talent, it took Mickey Harte to come in to shape things properly for them - otherwise the red arses would still have had loads of underage winning teams and notnhing at senior.
A man to build a side with some talent, if not loads of talent is whats required.
We find that throughout the sporting world.
the team with all superstars dont always win  (eg soccer with brazil and argentina etc)

joecanning

brian cody the next derry manager..!! or maybe anthony tohill!! the two names being talked about

SuperHans

joe o'kane from the loup could def do a job in full back.

our under 21s were close to winning ulster this year, they beat a tyrone team laced with players who have minor and schools medals.

its not all doom and gloom, there are players who are coutny standard, its just a matter of getting them involved.

shawshank

some things need to understood before discussion moves on, just to stop BS. Joe O'kane does not want to play county football, that is a well known fact. Johnny Bradley also doesn't want to play. He told me himself whan i asked him was he never asked unto the count one night in Glen club. His job as a games analysis sems to interfer. Pinny not even a cousin of an intercounty, also he is seriously injured. lets not thrown out names that have been used or played before, IMo its pointless