Good restaurant in Meath/Louth/south Cavan region

Started by lynchbhoy, July 01, 2010, 03:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

folks, have been asked to pick a few ideas for good venues for a birthday dinner.
Any ideas around the Navan, Kells, Drogheda, Virginia region ?

Kilmessan is one
Russells in Navan is another
Heard of some place called tankardstown house in rathkenny , slane - but are these above good(ie good food but not exhorbitant prices)

any ideas on good venues appreciated as well as comments on the aforementioned !
TIA

TheMadMicky100

cavan ....i laugh....

With his blessings...

MM100
Hows she cuttin

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 01, 2010, 03:05:57 PM
folks, have been asked to pick a few ideas for good venues for a birthday dinner.
Any ideas around the Navan, Kells, Drogheda, Virginia region ?

Kilmessan is one
Russells in Navan is another
Heard of some place called tankardstown house in rathkenny , slane - but are these above good(ie good food but not exhorbitant prices)

any ideas on good venues appreciated as well as comments on the aforementioned !
TIA
The Forge (near Ballinlough) - about half way between Kells and Oldcastle and would meet your criteria.  I have been there a few times when out to dinner with the outlaws and the food has always been very good and at very reasonable prices.   

www.theforgerestaurant.ie

mc_grens

Dunno if it's South Cavan, but how bout McNean House, Nevin Maguires place.

Best thing about it is that he actually does the cooking, and it's sensational.

Declan

I like the StationHouse myself LB. Never had a bad meal there.
I've also heard good reports about Bellinter Hose but haven't been there myself and also Copper & Spices in Navan is lovely as well

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Declan on July 01, 2010, 03:24:09 PM
I like the StationHouse myself LB. Never had a bad meal there.
I've also heard good reports about Bellinter Hose but haven't been there myself and also Copper & Spices in Navan is lovely as well
+ 1 for the Station House
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rois

Quote from: mc_grens on July 01, 2010, 03:19:35 PM

If you want a weekend, you may pencil it in for Easter next year.  He's booked up that far in advance.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rois on July 01, 2010, 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on July 01, 2010, 03:19:35 PM

If you want a weekend, you may pencil it in for Easter next year.  He's booked up that far in advance.
was thinking about it - but its too far to travel for these folks for dinner for the night...

it does answer madmickey - as this place is supposedly one of the best on the country, but I need a spot thats effectively common distance to Dublin, Cavan, Dudalk, Drogheda

so thanks folks - forgot about bellinter house - as its new I wonder what the reports will be like.
Station house - def a runner
The Forge sounds good, having played football up there I know where it is-  though some of them might get lost!!
Think I was in copper& spice in Navan - two restaurants close together beside newgrange hotel - one of them is good think thats the one!

OK thats all I need. Must check them out and book !

Cheers folks !

thejuice

Ryans in Ratoath does excellent food. Steaks and Gammons are to die for. Feeling hungry now.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Celt_Man

Torlough's in Nobber - meant to be a good spot
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

magpie seanie

I was in Carlingford last week and had dinner in Ghan House. It was seriously good.

5 Sams

As Seanie said Ghan House is top notch...also in Carlingford Magee's Bistro is 1st class and Fitzparicks on out the road towards Dundalk is a good spot as well.
The Aristocrat Years

Denn Forever

Have you been to The Woodbine in Virginia?  Or Lisgrey House just outside Virginia on the Cavan road.

The Forge would be easy to get to if people travel on the M3.  Its at the end of the M3, just turn left at Whitegate.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

tks Denn -since most of the other parties have been in Lisgrey/virginia, trying to get something more central. Woodbine cracking spot though !

Looks like I have the next month or soo to go and check dinner in each of these establishments !
I think thats a god plan and fantastic for a fat fcuker like me !
Carlingford an interesting idea. Ate too many times in the Roma in dudalk so will skip there !
Do they actually cook the food in Nobber !
thanks for the tips chaps !