Bob Geldof

Started by Eamonnca1, November 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Deserves a thread of its own, I think.

Am I being a begrudger or is he really an insufferable West Brit bollox?

Itchy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM

The later, self important dick. His music was over hyped shite too.

NetNitrate

He's right. The treatment of the Rohingya is horrific. As usual we Irish have to indulge in whataboutery and make it about his Knighthood. Of course the Shinners in council more worried about flying a Catalan flag than Rohingya babies burned alive.

The Subbie

Quote from: NetNitrate on November 14, 2017, 12:19:56 AM

He's right. The treatment of the Rohingya is horrific. As usual we Irish have to indulge in whataboutery and make it about his Knighthood. Of course the Shinners in council more worried about flying a Catalan flag than Rohingya babies burned alive.

How do you figure that?

Anyway Geldof is a **** , an utter utter west Brit ****.
The image of him flopping around the Thames been a **** to the fishermen during brexit speaks volumes, him and Farage having a bun fight is the proverbial 2 bald men arguing over a comb.

A Blackrock boy to the core, the f**king Jesuits have a f**king lot to answer for. Geldof is the very definition of an elitist "look at me and do what I say ****"

I notice he is happy to hang onto his KBE and ignore the human rights abuses that are welded to that particular gong by association.

Like I said a **** .

NetNitrate

Quote from: The Subbie on November 14, 2017, 02:40:34 AM
Quote from: NetNitrate on November 14, 2017, 12:19:56 AM

How do you figure that?

Anyway Geldof is a **** , an utter utter west Brit ****.
The image of him flopping around the Thames been a **** to the fishermen during brexit speaks volumes, him and Farage having a bun fight is the proverbial 2 bald men arguing over a comb.

A Blackrock boy to the core, the f**king Jesuits have a f**king lot to answer for. Geldof is the very definition of an elitist "look at me and do what I say ****"

I notice he is happy to hang onto his KBE and ignore the human rights abuses that are welded to that particular gong by association.

Like I said a **** .

Agreed he should give up his Knighthood given the paedophiles and war criminals it celebrates and is issued by. But he is still right about the genocide of the Rohingya and we don't need to distract  from that. So what if he is Blackrock  educated - many of out patriots, writers, famous figures had a fairly privileged background. Few came from a pig rearing, one acre of spuds background.

T Fearon

He returned the award on Monday,another reason for him not to like that particular day of the week?

omaghjoe

Why was she given the award in the first place? Does she have any association with Ireland or Dublin or was it just another one of these "lets make make ourselves relevant" attempts?

T Fearon

Exactly.You do get the impression that these things are done in Dublin for PR and Tourism promotion.

Asal Mor

I remember hearing on a radio show that Geldolf scored very badly on a website where waiters rate celebs who have eaten in their restaurants in terms of manners,kindness etc.
This is from the Telegraph.
" Talking about poverty has been a lucrative little earner for Sir Bob, judging by the $100,000 he charged once to give a speech in Melbourne about world suffering. For all his caring for the downtrodden, those who have lunched with him say he can be incredibly rude to waiters and waitresses."
Also, Live Aid is widely reported to have made things worse in Ethiopia thanks to Bob,despite many warnings, getting too cosy with its despotic leader,who spent a lot of the money raised on arms to crush resistance.

Minder

He said with a straight face "I'm not grandstanding here"
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TheOptimist

Like him or not he is helping turn attention to the atrocities in Myanmar. Watched some of the newsnight film last night. It is sickening what is going on there at the minute. It reminds you how evil humanity can be and how sheltered we can be here.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Itchy on November 14, 2017, 12:17:58 AM

The later, self important dick. His music was over hyped shite too.
If he was Bono we might pay some attention to him.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

AQMP

Quote from: TheOptimist on November 14, 2017, 08:35:15 AM
Like him or not he is helping turn attention to the atrocities in Myanmar. Watched some of the newsnight film last night. It is sickening what is going on there at the minute. It reminds you how evil humanity can be and how sheltered we can be here.

This has been in the news for a few months, BBC and RTE have covered it extensively.  Frankly if we need to rely on a complete "look at me" arsehole like Geldof for news then society is in a worse state than I thought.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: TheOptimist on November 14, 2017, 08:35:15 AM

For that reason I was am giving him a pass on this one.   I think he is grandstanding but if that wakes a few people up to what is going on Myanmar, no harm at all.

Frankly, Bob has the profile that it will generate some media interest, much more interest than the council taking her one back.

/Jim.

vallankumous