Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2018, 09:04:23 AM
I believe they're going to redevelop it but sure it's so hemmed in on all sides it'll never be bigger than 8/10,000.
You can imagine the media campaign if Larry's scenario came to pass - GAA preventing 60,000 people seeing a big match.
HQ on to the County Boards saying "You're responsible for a potential loss of €1.5m,  remember that when ye're looking for grants"
I think 8-10k stadiums could do very well out of the super 8 .if teams are looking for neutral grounds that would be loads for most matches.
not sure if St conleths would be a good spot in the middle of the town
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on March 15, 2018, 10:14:37 AM
I believe they're going to redevelop it but sure it's so hemmed in on all sides it'll never be bigger than 8/10,000.
You can imagine the media campaign if Larry's scenario came to pass - GAA preventing 60,000 people seeing a big match.
HQ on to the County Boards saying "You're responsible for a potential loss of €1.5m,  remember that when ye're looking for grants"
I think 8-10k stadiums could do very well out of the super 8 .if teams are looking for neutral grounds that would be loads for most matches.

If the average crowd at a Super 8 game is 8-10k, then the top brass will consider it a failure. In my humble opinion, the main reason for this is to generate more income by having more 'high profile' games, as a stepping stone to a tiered All Ireland.

Maroon Manc

I'm assuming that their will be double headers on the Saturday and Sunday of the opening weekend of the Super 8's?

Good luck to the Ulster champions playing Dublin at their 'neutral' venue.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 11:12:52 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 15, 2018, 10:14:37 AM

If the average crowd at a Super 8 game is 8-10k, then the top brass will consider it a failure. In my humble opinion, the main reason for this is to generate more income by having more 'high profile' games, as a stepping stone to a tiered All Ireland.
They want to get attendances up, I think, because the qualifier effect has worn off.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Looking at all the amount of games that were played this weekend (and not televised). There looks to be a rushing through of getting the Provincial championship finished and getting down to the real business of the Super 8's and there after.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 27, 2018, 11:56:02 PM
Looking at all the amount of games that were played this weekend (and not televised). There looks to be a rushing through of getting the Provincial championship finished and getting down to the real business of the Super 8's and there after.
it also has a lot to do with the CPa and club fixtures . it looks like the GAA are bending over backward to try and gt 2 incompatible competitions run off together and its leaving no one happier.
with drawing county players from club championships looks like the only way .
problem there is when is some one a county player. or would you have closed county squads
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

From the Bunker

Quote from: rosnarun on May 29, 2018, 02:00:10 PM
it also has a lot to do with the CPa and club fixtures . it looks like the GAA are bending over backward to try and gt 2 incompatible competitions run off together and its leaving no one happier.
problem there is when is some one a county player. or would you have closed county squads

No doubt! But there seems to be a gung-ho feel of getting rid of the Riff Raff and getting to the games where the real money is.

shark

That happens and some county teams won't even field. In weaker counties the majority of players would not play county if they thought they couldn't play club. Bad enough giving up a large percentage your life for little reward, no way they give up the only part of the game where they can actually win something.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 15, 2018, 01:48:49 PM
I'm assuming that their will be double headers on the Saturday and Sunday of the opening weekend of the Super 8's?

Good luck to the Ulster champions playing Dublin at their 'neutral' venue.
The Ulster champions were never scheduled to play the Leinster champions at a neutral venue.

The first round of games is, and always has been, scheduled for Croke Park regardless of who is playing in them.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2018, 02:41:21 PM

No doubt! But there seems to be a gung-ho feel of getting rid of the Riff Raff and getting to the games where the real money is.
Isn't that what competitive sport is usually all about.?
Will ye be rejoining the riff raff for the 1st time since 2010?😀
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bamboo

I thought it was the final round of the super 8s that was scheduled for Croke Park- On the bank holiday weekend ?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: bamboo on May 29, 2018, 05:46:04 PM
I thought it was the final round of the super 8s that was scheduled for Croke Park- On the bank holiday weekend ?

Nope. The round scheduled for the 14th/15th July is though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on May 29, 2018, 04:11:55 PM

We just might. Been riding our luck on his back door gimmick for the last couple of years.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2018, 08:06:51 AM

We just might. Been riding our luck on his back door gimmick for the last couple of years.

I think Kerry are going to be vulnerable in Munster this year, although I think a Munster defeat might be no harm for them in the long run. But if they do lose, you could have the "dream scenario" of Dublin, Monaghan, Mayo and Kerry in one Super 8 group, which again would tie in with Monaghan's luck in quarter-final draws! (of course Donegal may have something to say in Ulster).

Then you'd have the scenario as to whether it would be Killarney or Castlebar that hosts Dublin's away game! I'm sure the Mayo lads are saying - it would definitely be Killarney, and they'd be probably be right :)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on May 30, 2018, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 30, 2018, 08:06:51 AM

I think Kerry are going to be vulnerable in Munster this year, although I think a Munster defeat might be no harm for them in the long run. But if they do lose, you could have the "dream scenario" of Dublin, Monaghan, Mayo and Kerry in one Super 8 group, which again would tie in with Monaghan's luck in quarter-final draws! (of course Donegal may have something to say in Ulster).

Then you'd have the scenario as to whether it would be Killarney or Castlebar that hosts Dublin's away game! I'm sure the Mayo lads are saying - it would definitely be Killarney, and they'd be probably be right :)

If Dublin's away game is a dead rubber it will be outside the Capital. Otherwise you'll have the usual - you have to let all the fans that want to go be able to,  all teams want to play in Croke Park, Croke Park is a neutral venue and so on.....